Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC sport gossip and transfers reporting that Aimar has said hes going to benfica

 

BREAKING GOSSIP

Real Zaragoza's Argentine midfielder Pablo Aimar, 28, says he will sign for Benfica - dealing a blow to Newcastle's hopes of luring him to St James' Park. (A Bola, 2016 BST)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Zaragoza communications director Luis Sol told Portuguese website www.maisfutebol.iol.pt: "He is about to sign a contract with Benfica.

 

"Between Zaragoza and Benfica everything is sorted out. The doors are open for Aimar to become Benfica player.

 

"At around 6.30pm Aimar was in Soria with his team-mates, but he received a phone call and travelled to Zaragoza.

 

"The only information we have is that between both clubs, everything is resolved. This is the reason he went to meet the Benfica board.

 

"He might travel to Lisbon (on Wednesday night) with (Benfica sporting director) Rui Costa.

 

Reports in Portugal suggest that Aimar will be offered a three-year contract, and the Lisbon-based club will pay Zaragoza around 7.5million euros.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin Keegan was facing frustration in the transfer market last night, with Pablo Aimar close to completing a £6 million move from Real Zaragoza to Benfica. Newcastle United made a late attempt to lure the Argentina forward to St James' Park, agreeing a fee with the relegated Spanish club, but Lisbon appears his likely destination.

 

Given that Newcastle were expecting to open personal negotiations with the 28-year-old's representatives this week, the sense of disappointment on Tyneside will be profound. While his physique may be slender, “The Little Clown” has been capped 51 times by his country and was once hailed by Diego Maradona as “the only current footballer I'd pay to watch”.

 

Newcastle have added only Jonas Gutierrez, another Argentinian, and Danny Guthrie to a squad this summer that Steve Harper, the goalkeeper, described yesterday as “depleted”. They lost out to Tottenham Hotspur for Luka Modric, the Croatia midfield player, and bids for Bafétimbi Gomis, of St-Etienne, and Arda Turan, of Galatasaray, have not been accepted.

 

While Aimar would not have fit seamlessly into the profile for new signings upon which Mike Ashley has insisted - the club's owner wants young, ambitious players with a resale value - Newcastle's offer at least recognises that Keegan's team also require some proven quality.

Related Links

 

After trailing Andrei Arshavin, the Zenit St Petersburg forward, and Arda, whose prices soared after the European Championship, Aimar represented an affordable alternative. His arrival would have eased concerns among supporters about Ashley's motivations - he said last week that he was seeking new investment for the club - and the effectiveness of a recruitment department over which Keegan apparently exerts limited influence.

 

Prodded by Newcastle's intervention, Benfica dispatched Rui Costa, the club's director of football, to Zaragoza to seal a deal that had appeared to be faltering. “I am going to Portugal with my family to start a new adventure,” Aimar said after bidding farewell to his team-mates. “I would like to thank Benfica, who came here and got me.” He has been offered a four-year contract, which he may sign today.

 

Additions at Newcastle, particularly in defence - Anton Ferdinand has rejected their courtship, opting to remain at West Ham United - will be necessary. “We're pretty depleted,” Harper said. “We've lost four or five players and the dressing-room is pretty sparse. There are a lot of empty spaces, so it would be nice to see those filled up. We've still got a few weeks to do that, so hopefully a few new faces will give everyone a lift.

 

“Of course we want to see new arrivals. We were maybe two or three short last year, given the injuries we had, and we've lost three or four since then. We've brought in an Argentinian international, who will hopefully excite the fans and do a good job for us. I'm sure the manager and the people upstairs are working hard behind the scenes to bring in the people we need because new faces would give everyone, players and fans alike, a big lift.”

 

Like Michael Owen, Harper is about to start the final season of his present contract and is keen to agree an extension. “It would be nice to get my contract sorted out,” Harper said. “This is the last year of my contract and when you're a player you're always wary and looking for security. I'm 33 now, so another year or two would be nice. We'll see what happens. I'm not too worried, but I'd like it sorted out over the next few weeks and hopefully it will be.”

 

With Shay Given undermined by groin injuries last season, Harper had the most productive campaign of his 15 years at Newcastle. With both men fit, Keegan - who has appointed Robbie Elliott his strength and conditioning coach - will soon be presented with a testing selection problem. “This is probably the closest Shay and I have been going into a new season,” Harper said.

 

Sunderland are keen to reinforce their forward line amid fears that Kenwyne Jones could miss the majority of this season. The Trinidad & Tobago striker suffered knee ligament damage in the friendly against England on June 1 and the club are yet to confirm the extent of the injury or his expected recovery period. Therefore, Jones's absence has increased their need for a top-class forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that it says "Given that Newcastle were expecting to open personal negotiations with the 28-year-old's representatives this week". So, we hadnt discussed terms as had been mentioned. So that couldnt have been the reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
used to be a top player, the fee would have to fit his age and the risk, but ultimately it just seems to be a cheaper version of Modric to me. Which suits the noises that have came out of this fucking board since they took over, as well as comments made by the 2 managers in the last year as well.

 

i agree completely!!! we're all sitting watching this club being slowly ground down. We accept players who are compromises and watch clubs like spurs n portsmouth barge past us. are we a spent force in the transfer market? are we a spent club? i for one hope kev has somethin up his sleeve ( he will. i know he will). the club directors for once are playing their cards close to their chests but for fucks sake sign a beast of a player so we can all bear our arses to the south......braveheart etc.......

shit the bed

Link to post
Share on other sites

if we have lost out on him due to a few personal terms it's aload of shite

were fucked this season the rate were signing players, esp when we hit a few injuries

Link to post
Share on other sites
if we have lost out on him due to a few personal terms it's aload of shite

were fucked this season the rate were signing players, esp when we hit a few injuries

 

 

He hasn't discussed personal terms with anyone yet has he?

 

That's what he's on his way to Benfica for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
if we have lost out on him due to a few personal terms it's aload of shite

were fucked this season the rate were signing players, esp when we hit a few injuries

 

 

He hasn't discussed personal terms with anyone yet has he?

 

That's what he's on his way to Benfica for.

 

report in paper says his agents weren't happy with the terms/money on offer from us

Link to post
Share on other sites
if we have lost out on him due to a few personal terms it's aload of shite

were fucked this season the rate were signing players, esp when we hit a few injuries

 

 

He hasn't discussed personal terms with anyone yet has he?

 

That's what he's on his way to Benfica for.

 

report in paper says his agents weren't happy with the terms/money on offer from us

Have a word man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
if we have lost out on him due to a few personal terms it's aload of shite

were fucked this season the rate were signing players, esp when we hit a few injuries

 

 

He hasn't discussed personal terms with anyone yet has he?

 

That's what he's on his way to Benfica for.

 

report in paper says his agents weren't happy with the terms/money on offer from us

Have a word man.

 

yeah well us not handing out the wages is hardly far fetched at the minute is it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't the guy who broke the story on the BR forum then say that it was wages that were the stumbling block? To think that wages weren't discussed informally prior to him travelling to either Newcastle or Lisbon is naive. For me this is the most disappointed transfer story of the summer, Benfica are unlikely to be offering sky high wages and it's depressing to think that we couldn't match whatever they were offering (assuming it wasn't obscene).

 

What sort of a message does this send out to the likes of Owen who we want to sign a new contract or to any other potential signing? If it is as it appears then we haven't got a whole lot to look forward to during this transfer window.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not that upset that a latin american has decided to stay in the sun where he is comfortable rather than come to England. I don't understand why so many people are getting so upset. That coupled with the fact both of our signings so far have been completely off the radar make me sure we have not seen the last unexpected signing. The amount of negativity on here is ridiculous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...