Director of Football

Douggy B

In 1998 Spurs introduced the Director of football system to the club in the form of David Pleat.

It is thought that it was a system introduced by Sir Alan Sugar who said it would act to reduce the contact (and resulting conflict) between manager and chairman.

Daniel Levy still champions the system saying in provides a consistency in an age where coaches careers can be short lived.

Spurs fans are still divided over the systems value although it has seemed to have provided a convenient scapegoat for all ills at the club.

In 2007 the billionaire Mike Ashley took control of NUFC and introduced the DOF system by appointing Dennis Wise. A shock move considering Wise's age and experience.

It appears that Ashley is drawing on the experience of close friend and ex Spurs board member Paul Kemsley as to how to run a steady, profitable and self sustaining football club.

As well as the DOF system Ashley appears to be installing a salary cap and a cost control system that will benefit NUFC when footballs popularity again begins to fall.

Although Wise's impact has appeared minimal so far do you believe his presence and input into NUFC signings will be beneficial to the long term health of NUFC or do you see it as an unnecessary, expensive level of management?

Edited by Danny B

I think Brian Clough summed it up best when he said "managing under a director of football, is like making love to your wife knowing that your mother-in-law is in the spare bedroom."

I think Brian Clough summed it up best when he said "managing under a director of football, is like making love to your wife knowing that your mother-in-law is in the spare bedroom."

Brian Clough also said once "no I don't think I have had enough"

Just proves you cant be right all the time.

A sober Brian Clough was a genius, a manger of the like that Newcastle or Spurds could only have dreamed of.

A sober Brian Clough was a genius young man, a manger of the like that Newcastle or Spurds could only have dreamed of.

FYP

A sober Brian Clough was a genius, a manger of the like that Newcastle or Spurds could only have dreamed of.

I am well aware of that. Although I would suggest Sir Bil Nick would run him close, however those days are long gone and its a different game now.

We won't see the results of Wise's work for a couple of years as he's primarily involved in scouting and youth development. Not a director of football based at the club.

You are telling me he left the hot seat at Leeds to becomes a youth Scout?

I am well aware of that. Although I would suggest Sir Bil Nick would run him close, however those days are long gone and its a different game now.

Did Bill Nick win the league with two provincial clubs and win the Champions League back to back beating the holders in the first round ?

He's a country mile behind Coughie, and anyone who know's their football knows it.

Did Bill Nick win the league with two provincial clubs and win the Champions League back to back beating the holders in the first round ?

He's a country mile behind Coughie, and anyone who know's their football knows it.

No but he was a one club man who developed a whole new flowing style of football as well as bringing success to the club he loved.

Any way we are straying further away from the point here.

No but he was a one club man who developed a whole new flowing style of football as well as bringing success to the club he loved.

You said Bill Nick would run him close, I say you are wrong.

Coughie's achievements put him up with the best. Nicholson's I suggest do not.

We won't see the results of Wise's work for a couple of years as he's primarily involved in scouting and youth development. Not a director of football based at the club.

Well if you didn't know then I felt someone ought to tell you.

I can understand the misunderstanding though, the press did sell it as something far more sinister.

You said Bill Nick would run him close, I say you are wrong.

Coughie's achievements put him up with the best. Nicholson's I suggest do not.

Are you purposefully deflecting from the original post?

I can understand the misunderstanding though, the press did sell it as something far more sinister.

So he is "director of youth scouting?"

In 1998 Spurs introduced the Director of football system to the club in the form of David Pleat.

It is thought that it was a system introduced by Sir Alan Sugar who said it would act to reduce the contact (and resulting conflict) between manager and chairman.

Daniel Levy still champions the system saying in provides a consistency in an age where coaches careers can be short lived.

Spurs fans are still divided over the systems value although it has seemed to have provided a convenient scapegoat for all ills at the club.

In 2007 the billionaire Mike Ashley took control of NUFC and introduced the DOF system by appointing Dennis Wise. A shock move considering Wise's age and experience.

It appears that Ashley is drawing on the experience of close friend and ex Spurs board member Paul Kemsley as to how to run a steady, profitable and self sustaining football club.

As well as the DOF system Ashley appears to be installing a salary cap and a cost control system that will benefit NUFC when footballs popularity again begins to fall.

Although Wise's impact has appeared minimal so far do you believe his presence and input into NUFC signings will be beneficial to the long term health of NUFC or do you see it as an unnecessary, expensive level of management?

load of crap

next

No. His title is Executive director (football).

"Although speculated to be in the role of Director of Football or General Manager, the job is thought to be more restricted, involving transfers, scouting and youth development.

In the surprise career move, Wise had been attributed as having lost interest in direct football management since the loss of his assistant Gus Poyet to Tottenham Hotspur, and considered the executive position at Newcastle an opportunity "he had to take". In a February 2008 interview, Christopher Mort revealed that Newcastle had "heard on the grapevine" that Wise was considering a "move upstairs". Wise was selected as his relative youth and being a "bundle of energy" suited the new role that would involve "travelling around Europe and further afield". Wise, with Jeff Vetere, another new appointment in January 2008, will help identify young players for approval by first team manager Kevin Keegan. Wise will also be developing the academy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Wise#Newcastle_United

:D

"Although speculated to be in the role of Director of Football or General Manager, the job is thought to be more restricted, involving transfers, scouting and youth development.

In the surprise career move, Wise had been attributed as having lost interest in direct football management since the loss of his assistant Gus Poyet to Tottenham Hotspur, and considered the executive position at Newcastle an opportunity "he had to take". In a February 2008 interview, Christopher Mort revealed that Newcastle had "heard on the grapevine" that Wise was considering a "move upstairs". Wise was selected as his relative youth and being a "bundle of energy" suited the new role that would involve "travelling around Europe and further afield". Wise, with Jeff Vetere, another new appointment in January 2008, will help identify young players for approval by first team manager Kevin Keegan. Wise will also be developing the academy."

load of gobbledeegook crap.

The manager is what matters.

he should choose his own number 2, DOF is just a fancy title for a number 2 or a head youth scout.

Director of football a move upstairs ? Only in the current world would such a thing be deemed nothing other than a complete load of utter shite

load of gobbledeegook crap.

The manager is what matters.

he should choose his own number 2, DOF is just a fancy title for a number 2 or a head youth scout.

Director of football a move upstairs ? Only in the current world would such a thing be deemed nothing other than a complete load of utter shite

That's the point. He's basically got Glenn Roeders old job with a bit more clout. More scope around who gets through the door in the first place and how far afield we chase them.

I thought Wise was a surprising choice for the appointment. I thought it would be an older man, maybe even a Bobby Robson sort of figure, because they would have a wider network/contact book. I don't have a problem with it personally if it doesn't step all over the manager's toes.....it seems to work elsewhere

The DoF position can work but only if everyone involved in the situation is comfortable with it and their roles are clearly defined and this is why I think Keegan may have had a problem with the current set up at the club. Time will tell whether it is going to work out at SJP but one thing it will provide is continuity in the event that Keegan leaves, however that then assumes that the problem was with the manager in the first place.