Mock the Week

The Fish

tbf, is there a funny female comedian around? In fact I don't think there's many comedians who can be really funny all the time and not just in small periods. I like the regular comedians on MTW and was very annoyed I was unavailable to see Frankie Boyle twice when he came nearby (pretty rare for someone of his stature), as he was apparently hilarious.

tbf, is there a funny female comedian around? In fact I don't think there's many comedians who can be really funny all the time and not just in small periods. I like the regular comedians on MTW and was very annoyed I was unavailable to see Frankie Boyle twice when he came nearby (pretty rare for someone of his stature), as he was apparently hilarious.

The aforementioned Lucy Porter is decent but the late Linda Smith was the best.

Aye, she was great. "Radio 4 comedians" are often criminally underrated.

Sarah Silverman is decent

Edited by Sima

Sarah Kendall, Jo Caulfield and Lucy Porter are good, but it's very difficult to find a female stand up comedian who doesn't instantly nestle into one of two stereotypes. The Jo Brand or Victoria Wood archetypes.

They either go for the in your face, shocking and over the top, quite masculine Jo Brand style. Where they are essentially trying to be "one of the lads", or they go for the gentle whimsy of a Victoria Wood style approach. (Lucy Porter is a bit of a mix, she shrouds her quite vulgar comedy in a saccharin whimsy)

Gina Yashere is God awful though, obvious and unfunny.

Yeah, she was always good, particularly on I'm Sorry I Haven't a clue on the radio.

I think Have I Got News For You has done better female wise as they often don't go for female comedians but instead go for journalists, presenters or whatever else and they can be quite good as they aren't trying to tell jokes/deliberately be funny, they just happen to be funny/witty in themselves.

I used to like Josey Lawrence on Whose line is it anyway as well, but never seen much of her on these panel type games.

HIGNFY is very much a satirical news show (or it was in it's pomp), Mock the Week is more in the WLIIA mould. It's there to showcase stand up's improv talents. HIGNFY was there to make mockery of the policies and press of the day/week with a more cerebral bent.

HIGNFY is very much a satirical news show (or it was in it's pomp), Mock the Week is more in the WLIIA mould. It's there to showcase stand up's improv talents. HIGNFY was there to make mockery of the policies and press of the day/week with a more cerebral bent.

I assume the Mock The Week crew are at least briefed on what'll be coming up in the show, though - it certainly seems that way - whereas WLIIA, for all the basic structure was prescribed in advance, had the "audience suggestions" element to make the participants really earn their money.

I remember seeing Greg Proops in stand-up at the Playhouse in... must have been 1994 or thereabouts. He did an hour, tops, and spent about five minutes of that being amused by the words "Whitley Bay".

don't get me wrong, I'd assume there was a fair bit of scripted "ad-libbing", but the real funny parts of Mock the week are when the comediand riff off each other. You can spot a true piece of on the spot comedy.

I don't think Frankie Boyle would fair as well as Hugh Dennis or Russel Howard if the show gave itself up to Improv, I know he's incredibly shocking and has the occasional brilliant turn of phrase, but I reckon the other two have the mental agility to keep up with the rigours of improv stand up

Saw Russel Howard at the start of the year..he was brilliant. I did expect him to be fairly funny but was quite surprised at just how very funny he was. He's got a program on Radio 6 on a Sunday morning with his mate Jon Richardson who I think is even funnier but is never on tele for some reason.

As for women stand ups, I really really struggle to find any of them funny..that includes Lucy Porter and especially Gina Yashere (woefully bad) and I also have to disagree about Jo Caulfield being funny as she's as predicatable as a Franz Carr cross. I find myself constantly finishing her 'jokes' which is always a bad sign.

Saw Russel Howard at the start of the year..he was brilliant. I did expect him to be fairly funny but was quite surprised at just how very funny he was. He's got a program on Radio 6 on a Sunday morning with his mate Jon Richardson who I think is even funnier but is never on tele for some reason.

As for women stand ups, I really really struggle to find any of them funny..that includes Lucy Porter and especially Gina Yashere (woefully bad) and I also have to disagree about Jo Caulfield being funny as she's as predicatable as a Franz Carr cross. I find myself constantly finishing her 'jokes' which is always a bad sign.

:icon_lol:

Is Jo Caulfield that really irritating woman often on Mock The Week? Have to admit she irritates me and I don't think she's funny, hard as she tries. I generally think females on these programmes try too hard to be funny by trying to be contraversial and rude and they generally fail. Same with a lot of males of course obviously, but the regulars on MTW I find very funny.

Edited by TheInspiration