England versus South Africa

Tooj

So how long is Ian Bell going to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Benefit of the doubt for what?

For not being up to the job against the good teams.

I could have sworn he got 199 not two matches ago...

I was at Edgbaston today, I had a great day apart from some over-zealous stewards. KP was good but Collingwood was brilliant, didn't put a foot wrong all day, unrecognisable from the man who was scratching around for 45 minutes to score 4 in the first innings.

He did once when everyone was scoring. He does not perform consistently. Graham Hick got the odd high score but England still suffered because selectors waited years to realise he didnt actually have it in him to be a real international cricketer.

No, no, no. A criticism that has frequently been thrown at Bell is that he doesn't make runs under pressure. When he came in at Lord's, England had lost three wickets for four runs and were in danger of collapsing. Bell not only stopped the rot and put is in a good position with Pietersen, but pushed England from a good position into a dominant one. That said, he his dismissal today was particularly brainless. However, he is one of the bright stars of this England team, and not a weak link. Comparing him to Graeme Hick is idiotic.

I agree as Hick was a far more talented player.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Edgbaston today, I had a great day apart from some over-zealous stewards. KP was good but Collingwood was brilliant, didn't put a foot wrong all day, unrecognisable from the man who was scratching around for 45 minutes to score 4 in the first innings.

He did once when everyone was scoring. He does not perform consistently. Graham Hick got the odd high score but England still suffered because selectors waited years to realise he didnt actually have it in him to be a real international cricketer.

No, no, no. A criticism that has frequently been thrown at Bell is that he doesn't make runs under pressure. When he came in at Lord's, England had lost three wickets for four runs and were in danger of collapsing. Bell not only stopped the rot and put is in a good position with Pietersen, but pushed England from a good position into a dominant one. That said, he his dismissal today was particularly brainless. However, he is one of the bright stars of this England team, and not a weak link. Comparing him to Graeme Hick is idiotic.

Pfft. Flat track bully.

Pfft. Flat track bully.

Well his average of 31.32 doesn't compare to Bell's average of 44.28. The best is surely yet to come from him also as he is 26 and approaching his prime. I think his biggest criticism was he consistently made decent scores, then failed to convert them into big scores - I'm hoping he can build on his 199, but so far since he has made one half-century, where he got out straight after getting it.

However, is Bell the problem? Strauss hasn't scored a half-century yet this series and Vaughan's highest score is 21.

Pfft. Flat track bully.

Well his average of 31.32 doesn't compare to Bell's average of 44.28. The best is surely yet to come from him also as he is 26 and approaching his prime. I think his biggest criticism was he consistently made decent scores, then failed to convert them into big scores - I'm hoping he can build on his 199, but so far since he has made one half-century, where he got out straight after getting it.

However, is Bell the problem? Strauss hasn't scored a half-century yet this series and Vaughan's highest score is 21.

Quoted for truthery. Bell is one of the most talented players we've had for years, some of the shots he played in his 199 were simply divine, my favourite of which was a subtle, deliberate waft through the vacant slip region for four. I'd say he's as talented as Pietersen, but they've very different players - the latter couldn't play the shot I just described.

Hopefully there will be a few changes for the last test now we've lost the series.

I bet there won't be many, they don't like handing caps out like sweets. Harmi for Sidebottom probably.

I think we should go back to 5 bowlers but who would you drop? Vaughan is an obvious one, but that'll never happen with him being captain (presuming he remains captain).

Hopefully there will be a few changes for the last test now we've lost the series.

I bet there won't be many, they don't like handing caps out like sweets. Harmi for Sidebottom probably.

I think we should go back to 5 bowlers but who would you drop? Vaughan is an obvious one, but that'll never happen with him being captain (presuming he remains captain).

In retrospect I think maybe four strike bowlers wasn't enough. However, if we do play five bowlers, that could mean a pretty lengthy tail depending on who is picked, and Flintoff and Ambrose at 6 and 7, which they aren't good enough for on the basis of recent performances.

Awesome by Smith but problems all over the team really. Not getting enough runs not looking like getting 20 wickets. South Africa are a good side mind. But I think England are an ordinary team.

He's standing down. Giving it the waterworks too.

He's standing down. Giving it the waterworks too.

Done the honourable thing. About time as well.

Thing is though, I can't see anyone perfect to be new captain.

That's the problem with all the team really. Problem at WK but who do you bring in? Problems with batting line-up - ditto. And so on.

I reckon James Foster should be given a go at 'keeper.

You know what I mean though, there aren't exactly loads of decent options for those positions where we're struggling. A 25 year old Alec Stewart would be ok like.

Thing is though, I can't see anyone perfect to be new captain.

Maybe responsibility could be the making of KP?

Responsibility would ruin the man and detract him from his almost egotistical playing style that does so well for him. Same with Freddie.

Not sure about Pietersen as a tactician, but he's experienced and undoubtedly has presence on the field, so I think it's worth the risk. I'm hoping the added responsibility will help him mature, but he could always start struggling as Vaughan did.

Anyway, hats off to Vaughan for stepping down. He's the finest captain England's had in years and it's good the regaining of the Ashes (at least, for a short while) is something to show for it.

Edited by TheInspiration

I think someone with such a great brain as KP will be great for captain. I'm sure he'll come up with a few cracking ideas and bizarre field placings that people haven't really used before but will work brilliantly.

:D

He's hard to love KP though isn't he? I've gone right off him to be honest. I read his autobiography and instead of warming to him I just thought he was a bit of a cock. Then there was the 'I'm not playing in the IPL, my country comes first' speech which was quickly followed by the 'it's unfair we're not allowed to play in the IPL' speech after he found out how much money he'd get. Which is why I'm a little bit sceptical on his merits of being given the captaincy. Cracking batrsmen though.