Four More Players Needed

ohhh_yeah

Kevin Keegan: Newcastle need four players

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan yesterday revealed he needs four more signings to avoid starting the season with a badly lopsided squad.

Keegan admitted he still wanted that number of "quality players in the right positions" after pre-season preparations began in earnest with Damien Duff scoring a hat-trick and new signing Danny Guthrie also getting on the scoresheet in a 4-1 win at Hartlepool.

"We're very strong in certain positions and where Damien plays, Jonas Gutierrez can play, James Milner can play, Charles N'Zogbia can play, Geremi can play," Keegan said.

"We've got five very good players competing for two-and-a-half places. We haven't got competition everywhere though. We need to address that.

"We might not have been that successful in the market but there's a long time to go, plenty of opportunities. If the right player comes in and we think he's right for Newcastle, we'll be there pitching."

Keegan, without captain Michael Owen and defender Habib Beye at Victoria Park due to calf problems as well as the incarcerated Joey Barton, is banking on strength rather than strength in depth to further Newcastle's cause.

"I've just said to the lads that, when we came back we said we could be fitter, we could be stronger," Keegan added. "We haven't got the biggest squad this season and we might not have the best team in the Premiership because there's some big clubs out there with big squads and top players. But we can be the fittest team.

"That's what we've tried to do. That's why we've never left the training ground. That's why we've worked really hard. Fitness may be a small part of what's important in the Premiership but I think it's a very important part."

While Guthrie, a new signing from Liverpool, made an instant impact, Gutierrez was forced to remain on the sidelines because the Argentine winger's registration has yet to be finalised following his move from Real Mallorca.

"I think by Monday it [his registration] will be fine," Keegan said. ''That's my understanding."

Telegraph

Keegan warns board about lack of depth

Kevin Keegan wants "four quality signings" before the season begins and has warned Newcastle United's board that his current squad is ill equipped to withstand the rigours of Premier League combat. "Ideally I'd like about 20 new players," the manager joked after watching a renascent Damien Duff register a hat-trick during Saturday's deconstruction of Hartlepool. "Seriously, about four, about four quality players in the right positions."

Should Dennis Wise and his cohorts in the club's recruitment department fail to deliver this quartet, Keegan envisages a harsh winter. "You just cannot go into the Premier League with the small squad we've got. There have definitely got to be some more signings in the pipeline; we only had 12 senior outfield players here."

Absentees included Michael Owen, whose sore calf did not seem to concern his manager unduly, and Jonás Gutiérrez, the first of two signings this summer. The Argentinian winger is yet to be formally recognised as a Newcastle player because of a contract dispute with Real Mallorca but Keegan expects a resolution today.

At least Newcastle fans had a chance to watch Danny Guthrie in midfield action. A second-half substitute, the £1m buy from Liverpool made one goal and scored one. Enthusing about the former Bolton loanee's passing and ball retention, Keegan hailed him as a "real Liverpool player".

Even more encouragingly, the "real" Duff appeared to be strutting his stuff. Glenn Roeder, the Newcastle manager who brought him to Tyneside from Chelsea two years ago, constantly deflected questions about the poverty of the Ireland winger's performances by insisting: "Form is temporary but class is permanent."

Here that class finally began to reassert itself as Duff, alternating between the right and left, dusted down his repertoire of defence-confounding tricks before bewitching spectators and bewildering Hartlepool in equal measure. "I think we've got to draw a line under what's gone before with Damien," said Keegan. "The lad's never had a pre-season in three years but he's worked so hard this summer. After 80 minutes it looked like he had a turbo-charger in him. He's back to the weight he was at 18; I think you'll see a different Damien Duff this season."

The one area where Keegan's squad is reasonably well stocked is on the wings, with Duff, Gutiérrez, James Milner, Charles N'Zogbia and Geremi competing for places.... But in the full-back, centre-back and central midfield areas, skilled personnel remain alarmingly thin on the ground. "We haven't got competition everywhere; we need to address that," said Keegan.

Guardian

Personally I think we need more than 4 quality players. We're short on depth right across the pitch

This is true, a few squad players wouldn't go amiss.

Personally I think we need more than 4 quality players. We're short on depth right across the pitch

i think he's just praying to get 4 new players, let alone 4 quality ones

You can see he's not that involved in transfers. He might have given a list a month ago, but analysing these comments - the signings are in the hands of others.

You can see he's not that involved in transfers. He might have given a list a month ago, but analysing these comments - the signings are in the hands of others.

What part of these comments? :jesuswept:

The way everytime he's interviewed he harps on about the size of the squad. Everytime.

Aye, but 4 more quality players in the right position would massively increase our chances of having a crack at Europe, and would at least give us a reasonable first team.

Of course that would still rely on very, very few injuries.

Aye, but 4 more quality players in the right position would massively increase our chances of having a crack at Europe, and would at least give us a reasonable first team.

Have you forgotten there's expensive suits to pay for first ffs!! :jesuswept:

"We've got five very good players competing for two-and-a-half places. We haven't got competition everywhere though. We need to address that.

Whats he on about? :jesuswept:

The way everytime he's interviewed he harps on about the size of the squad. Everytime.

Sure, but jumping to the conclusion he isn't that involved is a bit far fetched tbh. You may be right, but I wouldn't draw it from these comments. As for "everytime". He's just done a couple of interviews over the weekend for the first time since the end of last season anyway. He might be involved in transfers and still harp on about it - ie shouldering the blame, not shifting it. Tbh because of the rare public comments we just don't know what is going on behind the scenes. That's probably the main reason people are reeling in conspiracy theories...

Have you forgotten there's expensive suits to pay for first ffs!! :D

Ashley can get a deal there he's in the trade, or they can just buy 14 and make them share. :D

Whats he on about? :jesuswept:

Who sits behind the bus driver?

I know everyone is looking at Centre back and midfield but i think we'll struggle again up front. Viduka has only got half a season in him at best and Caroll is not quite up to it yet.

Be nice to have another big striker but with some semblance of pace.

I know everyone is looking at Centre back and midfield but i think we'll struggle again up front. Viduka has only got half a season in him at best and Caroll is not quite up to it yet.

Viduka was the unsung difference last season, in the formation Keegan played anyway. Shame he isn't 8 years younger.

Sure, but jumping to the conclusion he isn't that involved is a bit far fetched tbh. You may be right, but I wouldn't draw it from these comments. As for "everytime". He's just done a couple of interviews over the weekend for the first time since the end of last season anyway. He might be involved in transfers and still harp on about it - ie shouldering the blame, not shifting it. Tbh because of the rare public comments we just don't know what is going on behind the scenes. That's probably the main reason people are reeling in conspiracy theories...

Fair enough.

What do you think though? Will we get the players?

The problem is these days a striker who can control a ball at pace is min £10m. :jesuswept:

The problem is these days a striker who can control a ball at pace is min £10m. :D

One that can't is at least £6m. :jesuswept:

The problem is these days a striker who can control a ball at pace is min £10m. :jesuswept:

If one becomes available then i think we have the resources to be in for them. Am still confident that we will spend more than last summer.

The problem is these days a striker who can control a ball at pace is min £10m. :D

If one becomes available then i think we have the resources to be in for them. Am still confident that we will spend more than last summer.

Hope so. :jesuswept:

Hope so. :jesuswept:

We need to.

Fair enough.

What do you think though? Will we get the players?

We will get players, I am pretty confident. As everybody else I can only guess what happened so far. We were probably in for too many players who are beyond our reach, though this is difficult to say with only few players really known to have been definite targets. Why we failed I don't know. The people who are involved have surely not been able to sell the club to these players. But I don't know who and what is to blame for it.

Some of the criticism and the assumptions are still quite absurd. For example to draw the conclusion that Aimar signed for lower terms for Benfica because we didn't offer sufficient personal terms. Eh? Is this meant to be some weird sort a punishment by the player? What very strange logic tbh.

Like others I am disappointed because I expected more or better action. I also thing that the people have to reassess their recruitment policy as well player as moneywise. But (as Keegan) I still think that our transfer policy shouldn't be ruled by panic, i.e. simply throwing money at the wrong players.

Hasn't it always been that way at Newcastle?