Smith: play me as a striker

Jimbo

ALAN SMITH wants a regular striking role at Newcastle and the chance to show Kevin Keegan there can be life without Michael Owen and Mark Viduka.

The England star failed to shine in a makeshift attack alongside Shola Ameobi as a depleted Toon side crashed to a 1-0 defeat to Championship newcomers Doncaster courtesy of Stuart Elliott’s 86th-minute goal.

Smith was turned into a midfielder during his time at Manchester United and spent most of his first season at St James’s Park in a similar role following his £6m switch from Old Trafford last August.

He failed to score a single goal last season, but insists he hasn’t forgotten how to find the back of net – providing Keegan gives him the chance to do so.

With both Viduka and Owen battling to be fit for the new campaign and Obafemi Martins back in Nigeria mourning the death of his mother, Smith might get his wish.

The ex-Leeds star said: “When I was playing for Manchester United, before I broke my leg, I was playing in central midfield.

“I then missed 18 months with my injury and when Sam (Allardyce) brought me to Newcastle, he played me all over. That never really helps you.

“It doesn’t allow you to become consistent and it doesn’t really allow you to become settled.

“The gaffer knows where he wants to play me and if he’s going to play me up there, I’m going to have to start scoring goals. I’m going to have to start playing as a centre-forward, like I did when I was at Leeds and like I did when I first went to United. I know I can do that.

“I’d enjoy an extended run at centre-forward and I think everyone knows that’s probably my best position.

“It’s what’s natural to me, but if I’m going to play there and stay in the team, I’m going to have to score goals.”

Keegan vowed to make some new signings in the wake of this defeat and Smith admits the pressure is on their threadbare squad to finish in the top half of the table this season.

He added: “We had a lot of players missing, but hopefully they will be fit for the start of the season.

“Realistically, for this football club, the top half of the table is a must.

“When you look around the dressing-room, the quality is there, but football now is more and more of a squad game.”

I think given his record in front of goal he should really SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!

I would put Stroller in ahead of him and thats sayin something. He should be used as a makeweight in a transfer deal, that is if any team would want a "striker" who managed a tally of 0 last season

I was going to say it'd be fairer commenting on the lad's ability scoring goals if he was actually played up front but looking at his past record playing for Leeds...

"It's what's natural to me, but if I'm going to play there and stay in the team, I'm going to have to score goals."

Strange thing to say... seems like he has quite a conundrum there!

PS: Great thread by the way :icon_lol: