Duff Out, Warnock In???

ohhh_yeah

SOCCER: DAMIEN DUFF'S security at Newcastle United is under renewed scrutiny after it appears Duff was included in negotiations aimed at Newcastle acquiring Stephen Warnock from Blackburn Rovers. It is not known if a straight swap deal was proposed but Duff's name has been mentioned.

Newcastle, keen to find left-sided defensive cover for Jose Enrique, offered €2.5 million a fortnight ago for Warnock and upped that by approximately €1 million last week. On both occasions the bid was rejected by Blackburn, with new manager Paul Ince under pressure not to disrupt too much the over-achieving team assembled by Mark Hughes.

However, it is understood that Ince was intrigued by the possibility of taking Duff back to Ewood Park, where the 29-year-old Irishman first moved from Dublin as a teenager. Duff retains his prestige in Lancashire having refused to leave the club when they were relegated under Brian Kidd in 1999.

It was another four years before Duff finally left, when he became Chelsea's then record signing at £17 million. Roman Abramovich and Claudio Ranieri were responsible then but a combination of injury, Arjen Robben and Jose Mourinho meant that Duff joined Newcastle after three seasons at Stamford Bridge.

But Duff's time on Tyneside has again been marked by injury and a struggle to replicate the form that made him such an exciting teenage winger. Duff signed a five-year contract when he joined Newcastle for €6.3 million two summers ago but the scale of his salary at a club trying to cut lumps off their wage bill has led to steady speculation that he is one of the more senior Newcastle players whom manager Kevin Keegan would be prepared to see leave to fund recruitment.

It was only nine days ago that Keegan, in the wake of Duff's hat-trick in a pre-season friendly at Hartlepool, started raving about his winger. This after Keegan had frequently overlooked Duff on the season's run-in. Keegan said Duff looked and felt like a teenager again.

Duff, always reticent when it comes to speaking publicly, said nothing and it is not known how he would view a return to Blackburn: either as an escape or as a backwards step. With three years remaining in his contract there would be financial hurdles to overcome a move were to transpire.

It is an indication of the sort of wheeling and dealing Newcastle are involved in. Owner Mike Ashley is apparently unwilling to underwrite a spending spree by Keegan, who has made two signings so far this summer.

One of those, however, Jonas Gutierrez, was again unable to participate in Saturday's pre-season friendly at Doncaster Rovers - Gutierrez missed Hartlepool too - due a problem with his registration. Duff did play; Newcastle lost 1-0.

Yet yesterday Keegan was prepared to say that a "top eight" finish was Newcastle's target for the coming season.

That would require a 14-point improvement and until new faces arrive at St James' Park locals will take some convincing that that is realistic.

"Between four and eight," Keegan said of where Newcastle could finish. "If you look at it purely from the crowds point of view, we are the third biggest stadium in the country. If you look at how strong our fan-base is in the north-east, we should be able to make it a fortress, a difficult place to come and get points. Top eight would be fantastic and to progress from there - between four and eight would be fantastic."

Keegan added that he personally will welcome back Joey Barton once the disgraced midfielder emerges from prison, though he knows others view Barton differently.

Keegan also said that he expects the issue of Michael Owen's new contract to be resolved soon, but Keegan has been making similar remarks since April and Owen is not minded to take the pay cut that the club wishes to offer him.

i know duff's been shite and another massive letdown but he's one of the few players in our squad that i would be prepared to give another season to to see if he can recapture his old form under keegan. last chance saloon like but he's worth the gamble imo (where the likes of smith, barton and geremi clearly aren't) because he has at least shown good ability in the past.

i know duff's been shite and another massive letdown but he's one of the few players in our squad that i would be prepared to give another season to to see if he can recapture his old form under keegan. last chance saloon like but he's worth the gamble imo (where the likes of smith, barton and geremi clearly aren't) because he has at least shown good ability in the past.

Who was the last person you said that about?

Dyer wasn't it? :icon_lol:

If Warnock wants to come then I'm willing to chip in 5 quid to help pay Duff's train fare out of toon.

If Warnock wants to come then I'm willing to chip in 5 quid to help pay Duff's train fare out of toon.

if we get shot of duff our midfield options will be geremi, smith, barton, guthrie, n'zogbia, milner and this new argie bloke. duff's been crap for us but if he was to recapture his chelsea/blackburn form he'd be the first midfielder on the teamsheet every week ahead of that bunch of cloggers. big if like but worth a punt on another season given we don't look like attracting many better midfielders at present

if we get shot of duff our midfield options will be geremi, smith, barton, guthrie, n'zogbia, milner and this new argie bloke. duff's been crap for us but if he was to recapture his chelsea/blackburn form he'd be the first midfielder on the teamsheet every week ahead of that bunch of cloggers. big if like but worth a punt on another season given we don't look like attracting many better midfielders at present

But he hasn't found that form, has he and an educated guess is he won't ever again.

The club has to get rid of the hangers on'ers and ok Warnock is unlikely to be as good as Duff was at his prime but if he wants to come here and does the job then make it happen.

At the moment we need Warren Bartons not Babayaros.

The point is that Duff is on big wages that he's not justifying. I get your point that we need to build a squad but for the money Duff is on we could probably pay two players of equal quailty.

But he hasn't found that form, has he and an educated guess is he won't ever again.

The club has to get rid of the hangers on'ers and ok Warnock is unlikely to be as good as Duff was at his prime but if he wants to come here and does the job then make it happen.

At the moment we need Warren Bartons not Babayaros.

if we were replacing duff with a better player then i would agree but i'd be worried to see any more of our players with the potential to create goals leave before we bring better players in, unless you're talking alan smith, who should be sold with immediate effect

Edited by Dr Gloom

On the wind-up again?

On the wind-up again?

i never was tbh. i know duff's been shite but when you look at the squad it's so short on quality that we can't afford to let him go just on the off chance that he starts playing like he used to again.

Edited by Dr Gloom

On the wind-up again?

i never was tbh. i know duff's been shite but when you look at the squad it's so short on quality that we can't afford to let him go just on the off chance that he starts playing like he used to again.

Depends, if we get Warnock in we'll be replacing a shit player with a good one. Duff'll never regain the form he once had btw.

The point is that Duff is on big wages that he's not justifying. I get your point that we need to build a squad but for the money Duff is on we could probably pay two players of equal quailty.

agree and we might, but we haven't exactly bought in a clutch of top class players with our new wage structure so far, have we? my fear is that if we do get rid of duff, we'll lighten the wage bill but might only be able to afford another guthrie or two.

and is warnock even that good? i'd sooner we went for finnan, who we've been linked with today. i'm surprised liverpool want to gwt rid. i've always rated him but is suppose he isn't spanish so maybe his face doesn't fit.

On the wind-up again?

Depends, if we get Warnock in we'll be replacing a shit player with a good one. Duff'll never regain the form he once had btw.

you're probably right but i think he's one that might be worth gambling on in case he does. i'd certainly risk him regaining his old form over keeping the likes of smith and barton, who never had any decent form to speak of in the first place.

On the wind-up again?

you're probably right but i think he's one that might be worth gambling on in case he does. i'd certainly risk him regaining his old form over keeping the likes of smith and barton, who never had any decent form to speak of in the first place.

Eh? Barton was an excellent player for City and showed more form at the end of last season than Duff has in his entire time here. If we're looking to get rid of one of them it should be Duff.

I thought that before, as he'd never had a decent run with injury, but I think his last injury at Chelsea and maybe his big injury here have just taken it from him physically.

Maybe that's what Hartlepool showed, that he's still got the skill to perform, but not the physical attributes to consistently do it in the Premiership any more.

On the wind-up again?

Eh? Barton was an excellent player for City and showed more form at the end of last season than Duff has in his entire time here. If we're looking to get rid of one of them it should be Duff.

Couldn't agree more really. Duff looks totally shot to me. At the very least Barton is still capable of producing some good performances whereas I really don't think Duff is at this level any more.

I thought that before, as he'd never had a decent run with injury, but I think his last injury at Chelsea and maybe his big injury here have just taken it from him physically.

Maybe that's what Hartlepool showed, that he's still got the skill to perform, but not the physical attributes to consistently do it in the Premiership any more.

Wasn't at that match but 2J reckons he was still shite. Couldn't be the full-back once, etc.

Edited by alex

Wasn't at that match but 2J reckons he was still shite. Couldn't be the full-back once, etc.

Yeah that's sort of what I mean, like when once good/great older player drop down the leagues, they may not be able to beat anyone even there, but they do still score just with awareness and still having a good shot etc.

But in the Premiership they'd just be a liability.

Yeah that's sort of what I mean, like when once good/great older player drop down the leagues, they may not be able to beat anyone even there, but they do still score just with awareness and still having a good shot etc.

But in the Premiership they'd just be a liability.

Aye, I'm sure he'd do well at a lower level, if he ever did drop down (ignoring wage issues etc.) I was just really saying it's not like he was back to his old self by any means. Apparently, if you can trust 2J's judgement like. :icon_lol:

On the wind-up again?

Couldn't agree more really. Duff looks totally shot to me. At the very least Barton is still capable of producing some good performances whereas I really don't think Duff is at this level any more.

barton's been total rubbish since he joined us imo. i never really rated him at man city either. duff's been total rubbish since he's been with us too but at least he used to be a good player. clutching at straws a bit i know but this transfer window has been pretty bleak so far

On the wind-up again?

barton's been total rubbish since he joined us imo. i never really rated him at man city either. duff's been total rubbish since he's been with us too but at least he used to be a good player. clutching at straws a bit i know but this transfer window has been pretty bleak so far

Barton was a good player at city, without a doubt. He played well at the back end of the season too.

On the wind-up again?

Barton was a good player at city, without a doubt. He played well at the back end of the season too.

Now you're just making things up Alex :icon_lol:

On the Stephen Warnock front, he would definately be a good buy for you. I'm sure most Blackburn fans would be very annoyed if Ince let him go. I remember when we sold him because Riise was still untouchable first choice :icon_lol: , and thinking Blackburn have got an absolute bargain (£1.5 million!).

I think he's proved it as his time there, ultra reliable premier league quality left back. Surprised with him being English he wasn't vastly inflated. I guess it's just the other teams that get megabucks for their promising English youth.