Newcastle off to a flyer?

Douggy B

Ready, Steady, Go

By Duncan Alexander Last updated: 4th August 2008

August invariably sees Premier League pitches in pristine condition but some teams have found it hard to adjust to the annual reintroduction of top-flight football, while others come roaring out of the blocks like a sprinter.

Opta have studied the ever-present sides in the top division over the last five years to find the best and worst starters.

As the table below shows, Chelsea have been, perhaps unsurprisingly, the best starters over the past five campaigns, winning 15 games in August and losing just once, to Middlesbrough in 2006.

Double figures

Arsenal, Manchester United and Everton are the other sides who have reached double figures for August wins in recent times.

In fact, for Everton, August has been their strongest month over the past five seasons, as it has for Manchester City, so David Moyes and Mark Hughes can look forward to the big kick-off with some optimism.

Premier League teams in August since 2003

Team

W

D

L

Win %

Best or worst month?

Chelsea

83%

Arsenal

67%

Manchester United

65%

Everton

56%

Best

Manchester City

50%

Best

Liverpool

43%

Aston Villa

37%

Portsmouth

35%

Tottenham Hotspur

35%

Fulham

33%

Bolton

32%

Middlesbrough

26%

Blackburn

15%

Worst

Newcastle United

12%

At the other end of the scale, Newcastle and Blackburn have regularly struggled in the opening month in the last five seasons.

Newcastle have won only two of their 16 matches, while Blackburn are the only team in the table above who have seen August as their worst month since 2003.

Can Paul Ince confound recent history and get Rovers off to a good start?

Edited by Danny B

I once saw a pigeon try out it's mating ritual on a stuffed teddy bear.

(Hey if Danny can post irrelevant shit, so can I.)

another obvious and idiotic wind up attempt, why is danny not banned yet?

Its just come up on SS.com Its only a matter of time before it was posted on here.

I keep forgetting the Premier League was started in 2003. :D

We are playing Manchester United, Bolton and Arsenal in our first three games. So at best we are looking at a 33.3%r success rate.

(and thats the most fixtures we can post I think, without the Prem breaking down our doors and breaking all our legs)

(and thats the most fixtures we can post I think, without the Prem breaking down our doors and breaking all our legs)

:D

Sad but true.

However we are working on next years fixtures at the cost of £250 (IIRC) :razz:

Sad but true.

However we are working on next years fixtures at the cost of £250 (IIRC) :D

Just make the forum members view only. That way they will never know.....unless theres a grass :razz:

Sad but true.

However we are working on next years fixtures at the cost of £250 (IIRC) :D

Just make the forum members view only. That way they will never know.....unless theres a grass :razz:

Forums that are Members View only suffer for it plus the authorities actively seek it out. It's not worth it.

Because you get This

Sad but true.

However we are working on next years fixtures at the cost of £250 (IIRC) :nah:

Just make the forum members view only. That way they will never know.....unless theres a grass :D

Forums that are Members View only suffer for it plus the authorities actively seek it out. It's not worth it.

Because you get This

:razz: funny that the filth got stitched

Sad but true.

However we are working on next years fixtures at the cost of £250 (IIRC) :nufc:

Just make the forum members view only. That way they will never know.....unless theres a grass :D

Because you get This

:razz: funny that the filth got stitched

:nah:

I'm not sure if the site is still going to be honest.

It's a retarded rule and most football forums agree - however it's a rule worth adhering to.

www.nufc.co.uk or The BBC have them so if people want them they can go there.

I don't normally agree with banning people for most things, but he's becoming a fuckin nuisance and what the fuck he's doing here I don't know.

I don't normally agree with banning people for most things, but he's becoming a fuckin nuisance and what the fuck he's doing here I don't know.

I want him to stay, keep him on here, him and Torres give us all something to laugh at.

He is just a harmless mong. In a way, we are all doing our bit for care in the community by responding to his posts.

Danny,

Any chance of giving it a rest for a while, some of your patter can be decent then you go and spoil yourself posting shite like this, is it every time your dad pays you a visit during the night we get the backlash the next day?

Thats it isn't it? Your dads a Geordie