Car insurance question

Smooth Operator

Decided not to renew my car insurance so notified them online, as I did so a notification came up to say that it is illegal to park or drive your vehicle on a public highway.

I was planning not to use it for a while as I don't really need it at the minute and was going to experiment to see how I'd get by without it for a month or 2 and use my bike instead, anyway can I park it on my street or is that classed as a public highway? Does the fact that where I park is a sort of residents only permit parking road?

Cheers.

if it's on the road, it needs to be insured, whether it's in use or not.

that is right, basically, if somone accidentally hits it [whether driving or not] and injures themselves, you have no cover........looking at a possible scenario. YOu would also have a valueless car and lose it completely if something ploughed into it, its a public road, so you must have insurance.

Edited by LeazesMag

Ok what if it was parked on a private driveway completely off the road?

The should be ok, as it should be no different to garaging it, although I guess maybe there's grey issues due to the type of driveway.

You'd still have to SORN it if you're not taxing it once a year, and it's legal to drive it too a MOT test without taxing it, not sure about without insurance though, I think you'd have to have it unless you can get in on a garage policy.

The big issue I would consider though is that if you let your insurance lapse you can end up losing all your no claims and/or your premiums going up, which is why after getting stung in that way once I tend to keep at least one vehicle of any type I own insured even if it's off the road long-term.

Decided not to renew my car insurance so notified them online, as I did so a notification came up to say that it is illegal to park or drive your vehicle on a public highway.

I was planning not to use it for a while as I don't really need it at the minute and was going to experiment to see how I'd get by without it for a month or 2 and use my bike instead, anyway can I park it on my street or is that classed as a public highway? Does the fact that where I park is a sort of residents only permit parking road?

Cheers.

I'm in the United States, so this may or may not be useful to you, but A LOT of people here have no car insurance. The only time it matters is if you get into an accident or ticketed/stopped by the police. I know people who have not had car insurance and have driven for years without a problem. Since you're not using it and park it legally, I don't think you should have any problem assuming your insurance is similar to our insurance. If you don't give the police any reason to be suspicious of you, I wouldn't worry about it. But I am not liable for anything if you take my advice. :D

Cheers.

I'm in the United States, so this may or may not be useful to you, but A LOT of people here have no car insurance. The only time it matters is if you get into an accident or ticketed/stopped by the police. I know people who have not had car insurance and have driven for years without a problem. Since you're not using it and park it legally, I don't think you should have any problem assuming your insurance is similar to our insurance. If you don't give the police any reason to be suspicious of you, I wouldn't worry about it. But I am not liable for anything if you take my advice. :)

You need insurance to drive a vehicle in the UK, not that you'd know with all the uninsured (and usually untaxed and often unlicensed) people driving around.

Personally I think they should give driving without valid insurance a 10 year mandatory jail sentence, would remove most UK traffic congestion issues in one stroke. :D

Cheers.

I'm in the United States, so this may or may not be useful to you, but A LOT of people here have no car insurance. The only time it matters is if you get into an accident or ticketed/stopped by the police. I know people who have not had car insurance and have driven for years without a problem. Since you're not using it and park it legally, I don't think you should have any problem assuming your insurance is similar to our insurance. If you don't give the police any reason to be suspicious of you, I wouldn't worry about it. But I am not liable for anything if you take my advice. :)

You need insurance to drive a vehicle in the UK, not that you'd know with all the uninsured (and usually untaxed and often unlicensed) people driving around.

Personally I think they should give driving without valid insurance a 10 year mandatory jail sentence, would remove most UK traffic congestion issues in one stroke. :D

Yeah, you legally need it here but people tend to ignore that. It raises the cost of insurance for law-abiding citizens too. That might be a bit cruel, but I like the idea. In some states here, the penalty for driving uninsured is not to exceed $100. That's less than the monthly rate...so what's the point?

Cheers.

I'm in the United States, so this may or may not be useful to you, but A LOT of people here have no car insurance. The only time it matters is if you get into an accident or ticketed/stopped by the police. I know people who have not had car insurance and have driven for years without a problem. Since you're not using it and park it legally, I don't think you should have any problem assuming your insurance is similar to our insurance. If you don't give the police any reason to be suspicious of you, I wouldn't worry about it. But I am not liable for anything if you take my advice. :icon_lol:

Yeah, you legally need it here but people tend to ignore that. It raises the cost of insurance for law-abiding citizens too. That might be a bit cruel, but I like the idea. In some states here, the penalty for driving uninsured is not to exceed $100. That's less than the monthly rate...so what's the point?

The problem is that people who don't insure there cars are the same kind of people who fail to take responsibility for other things too, they are oft the kind of people who don't drive with as much caution and awareness as say, insured drivers. So who's more likely to have a crash, the forward thinking, responsible driver? or the cheapass wank fart?

I reckon the penalty for driving without a car is the permanent removal of your license. If you're caught driving without a license, you should have your eyes gouged out with a shitty spork. :)

Cheers.

I'm in the United States, so this may or may not be useful to you, but A LOT of people here have no car insurance. The only time it matters is if you get into an accident or ticketed/stopped by the police. I know people who have not had car insurance and have driven for years without a problem. Since you're not using it and park it legally, I don't think you should have any problem assuming your insurance is similar to our insurance. If you don't give the police any reason to be suspicious of you, I wouldn't worry about it. But I am not liable for anything if you take my advice. :icon_lol:

Personally I think they should give driving without valid insurance a 10 year mandatory jail sentence, would remove most UK traffic congestion issues in one stroke. :)

The problem is that people who don't insure there cars are the same kind of people who fail to take responsibility for other things too, they are oft the kind of people who don't drive with as much caution and awareness as say, insured drivers. So who's more likely to have a crash, the forward thinking, responsible driver? or the cheapass wank fart?

I reckon the penalty for driving without a car is the permanent removal of your license. If you're caught driving without a license, you should have your eyes gouged out with a shitty spork. :icon_lol:

Seems a bit pointless like :icon_lol::D

That's the kind of thing I'd reward, not punish, to be honest. Visions of a load of people running down the street turning imaginary steering wheels, making revving sounds and going "beep beep" at least other. :D

Cheers.

Personally I think they should give driving without valid insurance a 10 year mandatory jail sentence, would remove most UK traffic congestion issues in one stroke. :)

I reckon the penalty for driving without a car is the permanent removal of your license. If you're caught driving without a license, you should have your eyes gouged out with a shitty spork. :icon_lol:

Seems a bit pointless like :icon_lol::D

Would stop drunken student McDonald's drive through issues. :icon_lol:

That's the kind of thing I'd reward, not punish, to be honest. Visions of a load of people running down the street turning imaginary steering wheels, making revving sounds and going "beep beep" at least other. :D

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd have thought that sort of kerayzee shit would have been right up Dave's street too :)

Cheers.

Personally I think they should give driving without valid insurance a 10 year mandatory jail sentence, would remove most UK traffic congestion issues in one stroke. :icon_lol:

Seems a bit pointless like :icon_lol::)

Would stop drunken student McDonald's drive through issues. :icon_lol:

:D:finger::)