The bollocks of Wednesday.

sammynb

sport_logo.gif

Wednesday's gossip column

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Striker Robinho is desperate for Real Madrid to let him join Chelsea. (The Sun)

Aston Villa have targeted Arsenal's Justin Hoyte, Luke Young of Middlesbrough and Chelsea's Paulo Ferreira to fill their full-back berth. (The Times)

Former Manchester United striker Diego Forlan, who has been in Spain since 2004, is the latest target for Tottenham. (Daily Mirror)

But Tottenham hopes of signing Dean Ashton have been dashed after West Ham put an £18m price tag on the striker. Spurs were apparently only ready to pay £14m or £15m - depending on which paper you read. (Various)

West Ham are the latest club linked with Manchester United striker Louis Saha, but they are delaying any approach after the former Fulham forward aggravated a knee injury. (Daily Mail)

However, Saha has expressed an interest in joining Sunderland. (The Independent)

Bolton want West Brom full-back Paul Robinson in exchange for central defender Abdoulaye Meite. (The Sun)

West Ham have decided to release winger Freddie Ljungberg after just 12 months, a move which will cost them £6m. (Daily Mail)

Everton are chasing Newcastle striker Alan Smith, who is likely to cost around £3m. (The Sun, Daily Mirror)

Fulham have finally landed Everton's Andy Johnson for a cut-price fee of £8m after manager Roy Hodgson threatened to end the deal because of concerns over the striker's injury record. (The Sun)

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright is still hopeful of signing Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Moutinho. (The Independent)

Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun has been linked with a summer move to Roma, where he will meet up with former Anfield team-mate John Arne Riise. (Daily Telegraph)

Bolton are closing in on the signing of Watford defender Danny Shittu for £2m. (Various)

Celtic have pulled out of negotiations to sign Auxerre central defender Gabriel Tamas. (Daily Record)

Wigan are set to make a £3m bid for Ipswich striker Danny Haynes. (The Sun)

Blackburn striker Benni McCarthy is wanted by Galatasaray. (Daily Mail)

OTHER GOSSIP

Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has explored the possibility of selling up, putting the long-term future of the club in doubt. (Daily Mail)

QPR manager Iain Dowie is on the verge of being sacked after a row with owner Flavio Briatore over the proposed transfer of an unnamed player from the Middle East. (The Times)

Outspoken Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock says Manchester United and Tottenham are hypocrites for complaining that rivals tap up their stars. (Various)

AND FINALLY

New Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has hit out at Jose Mourinho, the man he succeeded at Stamford Bridge. Scolari says Mourinho was not that special and claims his predecessor should not have blamed his players when things went wrong. (Various)

Manchester United forward Carlos Tevez says he needs to sharpen up his image off the pitch in order to be a true superstar like team-mate Ronaldo. (The Sun)

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi...ers/7544432.stm

Published: 2008/08/06 06:33:59 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

stevie, you enjoy that? :D

Im not saying this is the case with Ashley but some of these new owners seem to have come steaming into the prem with there eyes shut. Look at Liverpool ownership issues, Wet Spam having to lay off players...they had Ben Thatcher trialing for them last night :D , now City.

Guess what fellas you arent going to make mega bucks running a football team.

Guest Stevie
Im not saying this is the case with Ashley but some of these new owners seem to have come steaming into the prem with there eyes shut. Look at Liverpool ownership issues, Wet Spam having to lay off players...they had Ben Thatcher trialing for them last night :D , now City.

:)

Rarely have a mickey mouse club had a higher opinion of themselves. Their best ever season they came THIRD. They'll never be half as big as Sunderland, and I bet Parker, Nobby, Dyer, Bowyer and Bellamy are fully aware of that now.

City wouldn't be a good investment in my view, but if you look at all these clubs who have been taken over, I think ridiculous as it may seem now, but we'd probably be the best investment at the price he got us for. A club is only as good as its fanbase, and ours is probably the third largest in the country, there's no where where the scope for growth is larger than it is here.

Rarely have a mickey mouse club had a higher opinion of themselves. Their best ever season they came THIRD. They'll never be half as big as Sunderland, and I bet Parker, Nobby, Dyer, Bowyer and Bellamy are fully aware of that now.

City wouldn't be a good investment in my view, but if you look at all these clubs who have been taken over, I think ridiculous as it may seem now, but we'd probably be the best investment at the price he got us for. A club is only as good as its fanbase, and ours is probably the third largest in the country, there's no where where the scope for growth is larger than it is here.

And you thought you were poorly run.

Ljundberg - 70K / week

Bowyer - Now playing in the reserves.

Neil - 70K / week

Dyer / Bellers - perpetual crocks.

If you are looking for an outside bet for relegation, they are the team.

Edited by Danny B

And you thought you were poorly run.

Ljundberg - 70K / week

Bowyer - Now playing in the reserves.

Neil - 70K / week

Dyer / Bellers - perpetual crocks.

If you are looking for an outside bet for relagation, they are the team.

Upson, Boa Morte and Parker will be on decent wedge too I'd imagine

:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has explored the possibility of selling up, putting the long-term future of the club in doubt. (Daily Mail)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...ers-future.html

No quotes and the story states...

"Currently there is no prospective deal in the pipeline and it is not known whether Thaksin, 59, is actively trying to sell "

:D

Classic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...ers-future.html

No quotes and the story states...

"Currently there is no prospective deal in the pipeline and it is not known whether Thaksin, 59, is actively trying to sell "

Classic.

Even for them that is bad.

sport_logo.gif

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Everton are chasing Newcastle striker Alan Smith, who is likely to cost around £3m. (The Sun, Daily Mirror)

sport_logo.gif

TRANSFER RUMOURS

I really hope you guys get 3 mil from those clowns for that clown.

£3 million? Thank God for inflated prices. How we can command that from him baffles me.

I'd be surprised if we got that much, but Moyes isn't daft and perhaps Smith would work better in his team.

£3 million? Thank God for inflated prices. How we can command that from him baffles me.

I'd be surprised if we got that much, but Moyes isn't daft and perhaps Smith would work better in his team.

I used to think that Smith suffered from playing in midfield, the system etc. but that doesn't excuse his lack of basic football skills such as his touch, passing and ability to tackle to name but a few.

He fancied Smith 12 months ago so maybe he sees something in him we don't. May also fit into their system better. Bit of a comedown for the Scouse Mackems if they get him and the Moutinho deal doesn't come off though.

Just look at the quality performances he coaxed out of Beattie

I used to think that Smith suffered from playing in midfield, the system etc. but that doesn't excuse his lack of basic football skills such as his touch, passing and ability to tackle to name but a few.

True, but long-term injury followed by being shoved around all over the place is never going to get a player playing at their best.

Perhaps at Everton, especially with the current squad, he'd get the chance to rediscover that (whatever his best now maybe), I don't think he will here (even if he's playing here he's got to be 4th choice striker and who knows where midfield).

:D Good point. I always thought Beattie was a canny (if somewhat overrated) player too.

Well at least we'd have something for him and not be paying his wages. :D

:D Good point. I always thought Beattie was a canny (if somewhat overrated) player too.

Think that's what did for him, more than anything.