Newcastle United 2-2 PSV

Ketsbaia

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats just it though, we bought Vids & Smith last year in the belief that having 4 quality strikers at the club would serve us well however Smith hasnt scored for us and Viduka was playing a deeper role last season along with Owen. Personally if we could get 1 more striker in and get shot of Smith & Ameobi, I think we would be better served, as we could then call upon the attacking midfielders to provide support rather than to have them both up front.

I don't doubt that one more striker would benefit the squad, but then I'm an advocate of strength in depth. I just don't see a striker as our priority. There's no point in buying a back up striker when we're lacking a starting creative midfielder.

Thats just it though, we bought Vids & Smith last year in the belief that having 4 quality strikers at the club would serve us well however Smith hasnt scored for us and Viduka was playing a deeper role last season along with Owen. Personally if we could get 1 more striker in and get shot of Smith & Ameobi, I think we would be better served, as we could then call upon the attacking midfielders to provide support rather than to have them both up front.

I don't doubt that one more striker would benefit the squad, but then I'm an advocate of strength in depth. I just don't see a striker as our priority. There's no point in buying a back up striker when we're lacking a starting creative midfielder.

Knowing how injury prone Owen & Viduka are though, that leaves just Oba up front with the possibility of Smith supporting him in attack. Owens clearly a starter when fit as is Oba but I would say any other place is up for grabs and particularly when one is so injury prone there has to be a reasonable replacement so stand in/threaten a starting place.

Cacapa's shot :D

What ya mean he scored?

dunno what ground it landed in like...

Probably in the jumpers for goal posts the yanks left on the moon

On the subject of strikers, I assume that this will be the season where Carroll is forced to rise up when needed. With Smith leaving (hopefully), that would leave Carroll to fill his place. You never know what a bit of youthful drive might bring. Saying that, I hope it's more than what Taylor's youthful drive brings.

Knowing how injury prone Owen & Viduka are though, that leaves just Oba up front with the possibility of Smith supporting him in attack. Owens clearly a starter when fit as is Oba but I would say any other place is up for grabs and particularly when one is so injury prone there has to be a reasonable replacement so stand in/threaten a starting place.

You're basing the need for a striker on "what if we lose x & y", I'm saying an AMC (forgive the FM parlance) is our first and most pressing priority because we haven't got anyone at all. There is nobody ahead in the queue for the new lad, we desperately need an AMC, otherwise there's no point in having strikers at all. We're not going to create enough chances for the three of them anyway.

You're basing the need for a striker on "what if we lose x & y", I'm saying an AMC (forgive the FM parlance) is our first and most pressing priority because we haven't got anyone at all. There is nobody ahead in the queue for the new lad, we desperately need an AMC, otherwise there's no point in having strikers at all. We're not going to create enough chances for the three of them anyway.

I agree, first and foremost something creative has to come from Centre Midfield, but im saying that nights like tonight highlight how "light" we are upfront. Amoeba should be below Carroll in the pecking order.

Agree. AMC is a bigger priority.