Sir Bobby has given his first half million

Happy Face

_44897690_bobbycheque226.jpg

Sir Bobby Robson has handed over the first £500,000 raised by his own cancer charity to doctors on Tyneside.

The 75-year-old former England boss, from County Durham, who is battling the disease for the fifth time, set up the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation in March.

He said wanted to repay the NHS for the care he has received since being first diagnosed with cancer in 1992.

On Wednesday he handed over the cash to staff from the Northern Centre for Cancer Care in Newcastle.

Sir Bobby has admitted he is unlikely to beat the disease, but said the Foundation was his legacy to the nation.

Proud moment

His charity was founded to raise money to equip the new Early Cancer Trials Unit at the Northern Centre for Cancer Care, which is being built at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.

It will focus on early detection and treatment, as well as clinical trials of new drugs.

Sir Bobby said: "Cancer is a global issue and we have had support from all over the world but this money is largely from the people of the North East and first and foremost it will benefit the people of the North East.

"I've achieved many things during my career in football, but I'm as proud of this achievement as I am of any other in my life."

Prof Ruth Plummer of the cancer care centre, said: "The fantastic generosity of the people of the North East and the dedication of Sir Bobby and his team means that we have secured the funding we needed in an unbelievably short time."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7545643.stm

Hero

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie

We can all get sentimental and teary eyed about SBR, but if I had 10m in spare cash, I'm sure I'd donate AT LEAST 500k of my OWN money to this charity. What you going to do with 10m at 76?

Is 10M ever actually "spare"?

Still, I dont think you can question what he has set up to wrack up the £500M. No doubt alot of time as well.

Is 10M ever actually "spare"?

Still, I dont think you can question what he has set up to wrack up the £500M. No doubt alot of time as well.

Note - unless you're Stevie :D

We can all get sentimental and teary eyed about SBR, but if I had 10m in spare cash, I'm sure I'd donate AT LEAST 500k of my OWN money to this charity. What you going to do with 10m at 76?

Easy to say when you'll probably never be in that position though.

Easy to say when you'll probably never be in that position though.

You can also guarantee Stevie doesn't donate 5% of his own wealth to charity.

What sort of retard has a dig at a dying man for donating half a mil to charity?

Thsi place is going to the dogs

J69 you mong! Read what it says :D

Guest Stevie
What sort of retard has a dig at a dying man for donating half a mil to charity?

Thsi place is going to the dogs

You fucking dense fucking hospital porters assistant tea total mackem cunt, read what it says.

I read what it said, and unless im mistaken its a dig at him for not handing over some of his own money and fundraising it instead. The fact remains the bloke probably wont see xmas and is spending his last days on earth doing good and he still has inbred morons like stevie posting stupid comments like that.

And I dont drink tea stevie you thanks.

Edited by J69

Guest Stevie
I read what it said, and unless im mistaken its a dig at him for not handing over some of his own money and fundraising it instead. The fact remains the bloke probably wont see xmas and is spending his last days on earth doing good and he still has inbred morons like stevie posting stupid comments like that.

And I dont drink tea stevie you thanks.

Do you think I would've posted that in light of today's terrible news?? You total knob.

The point remains the same regardless of todays news. How do you know he hasnt given plenty of his own money to charity already?

You look for the worst in everyone, just be glad he is using his name to do some good

The point remains the same regardless of todays news. How do you know he hasnt given plenty of his own money to charity already?

You look for the worst in everyone, just be glad he is using his name to do some good

unlike Dr Evil...

Guest Stevie

He may have done, but I don't know about it. If you had 10m in the bank, and you could afford to give 500k to something you believed in wholeheartedly would you do it. The South Shields lad was right you can't say 100% you would till you're in that position but I would like to think I would.

Anyway it would've been in bad taste posting this today, but do carrying playing on it, you hard as fuck sex god that you are.

He may have done, but I don't know about it. If you had 10m in the bank, and you could afford to give 500k to something you believed in wholeheartedly would you do it. The South Shields lad was right you can't say 100% you would till you're in that position but I would like to think I would.

Anyway it would've been in bad taste posting this today, but do carrying playing on it, you hard as fuck sex god that you are.

:(

Guest Stevie

:icon_lol:

Remember that time you threatened to chin me :( all 5ft10 of you.

Your fucking making it up!!! Find the thread and post it

And im not 5ft10 thanks. Good guess though :(

If I remember correctly you made up a story about how you called everyone around you at the match a boring speccy cunt cos they werent singing, or another similarly heinous crime. I merely said if someone had spoken to me like that at the match id have twatted them.

Hardly a direct threat to chin you, im not in the habit of starting beefs on the internet haha

I think Fish threatened to do me in when I went to leeds once though :icon_lol:

Edited by J69

Guest Stevie
Your fucking making it up!!! Find the thread and post it

And im not 5ft10 thanks. Good guess though :(

"If you ever sit beside me at the match pal and that's your attitude you'll get a fist in the mouth pal" ....or something like that, Wacky will remember it.

rocky.jpg