Coloccini on way as Cox departs

Jimbo

Kevin Keegan prepared to welcome a new defender to Newcastle last night but said farewell to a key member of his boot room and could also be losing a striker.

While Fabricio Coloccini underwent a medical after Deportivo La Coruña and Newcastle agreed a fee believed to be £10m for the Argentinian, Arthur Cox severed his connections with the club.

Meanwhile Alan Smith appeared on the verge of a £2m move to Everton.

One of the first things Keegan did on returning to Newcastle in January was appoint Cox, his long-time mentor and a former manager at St James' Park, in a key backroom role. However, it emerged yesterday that he has left, with no details revealed as to the reasons.

Smith, who joined Newcastle from Manchester United for £6m last August, has struggled to make an impact.

With Newcastle keen to reduce the wage bill, an opportunity to lose Smith's £60,000-plus weekly remuneration will be welcomed. But following Wednesday's 2-2 draw with PSV Eindhoven, Keegan indicated he did not want to lose Smith.

"He's a smashing lad, very popular at the club and he can play a lot of positions, so he's a valuable player for us," he said.

There are suggestions that Dennis Wise, in charge of transfers at Newcastle, is keen to sign the Fulham striker David Healy to provide cover for Michael Owen.

Keegan also said that the midfielder Joey Barton, recently released from prison, is at least a month away from a comeback. "Joey's just getting his head down, which is what he has done ever since I came back to this club," Keegan said. "His training and everything, his attitude, has been excellent."

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem finding a like-for-like replacement for Smith if we really wanted one, and the players would likely be cheaper from the lower leagues too.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem finding a like-for-like replacement for Smith if we really wanted one, and the players would likely be cheaper from the lower leagues too.

I'm available at less than £2k a week, can't say fairer than that

We've had enough useless Irishmen without signing another one.

I'm available at less than £2k a week, can't say fairer than that

We've had enough useless Irishmen without signing another one.

:(

Only arrived today if you believe Anal....

Coloccini jets in for NUFC talks

Aug 8 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Fabricio Coloccini

ARGENTINIAN defender Fabricio Coloccini has finally jetted into Tyneside to complete his £10m transfer to Newcastle United.

United and Deportivo La Coruna agreed the fee in writing yesterday, and the word from St James’s Park today was that Coloccini had finally arrived.

If this is the case, he will have a medical before finally agreeing a deal.

The word is that Coloccini and his agent have already approved his personal terms, but there has been no confirmation of this from the club.

Coloccini has been keeping himself fit by training with the Deportivo Juniors while the rest of his first-team colleagues are in Venezuela.

If the signing does go through, the Argentinian will be scrutinised in training with United by Kevin Keegan and fitness coach Mark Hulse.

They will decide whether Coloccini is plunged in for his United debut tomorrow against a team he knows well from his La Liga days – Valencia.

There is someone he knows even better waiting for him in the Premier League opener at Manchester United in nine days’ time, if he plays – fellow Argentinian international Carlos Tevez.

A lot of water has flowed down the Tyne since the Chronicle reported a week past Saturday that United were interested in making Coloccini their record defensive signing, and surely there will be a sigh of relief from the fans when it is finally done and dusted.

Just as there will be a sigh of relief at St James’s Park when Jonas Gutierrez’s paperwork finally comes through to clear him to turn out at Old Trafford and complete his move from Real Mallorca.

Meanwhile, Keegan woke up to headlines today saying he was at loggerheads with club owner Mike Ashley over the proposed sale of midfielder Alan Smith to Everton.

These suggested that while Keegan is desperate to keep the England international, Ashley wants to unload him and pick up a transfer fee of £3m and save a similar amount in the next 12 months in Smith’s wages.

If this is the case then the irony of the situation will not be lost on Smith.

For Mike Ashley wore Smith’s No 17 shirt in the United games he attended in the first half of last season before switching to one with King Kev emblazoned on the back.

The smart money on Merseyside is that Smith will eventually move to Everton.

In the meantime, United fans can only hope that they are no repercussions between their manager and owner if this turns out to be the case.

A lot of water has flowed down the Tyne since the Chronicle reported a week past Saturday that United were interested in making Coloccini their record defensive signing, and surely there will be a sigh of relief from the fans when it is finally done and dusted.

The whole article displays a complete lack of knowledge of anything that is taking place but this little nugget stood out for me:

"If this is the case, he will have a medical before finally agreeing a deal."

No fucking shit?

The whole article displays a complete lack of knowledge of anything that is taking place but this little nugget stood out for me:

No fucking shit?

Even my Gran could've guessed that like. :(

Some interesting stats on him, lets hope he can repeat lasts seasons form and outings if we get him

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Foo...gate-Coloccini/

Looks very promising. Then again though he's going to have to do things a lot quicker over here.

Gotta say though, he looks pretty confident here.

side-show-bob.jpg

Some interesting stats on him, lets hope he can repeat lasts seasons form and outings if we get him

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Foo...gate-Coloccini/

fuck me, looking at those stats Beyes been really quite special, still col looks good from those figures, will be good to see him in action :(

Taylor wins 10% less of his tackles than anyone else?

Wewwy Intawesting!

aye, its funny that like

No fucking shit?

what do you need to be a journalist , or a sports journalist, or a person in a postion to be Newcastle Uniteds number 1 journalist ?

Whats the hold up anyway, Is Big Mike still fishing down the back of the sofa to pay the fee?

maybe they are haggling over the taxi fare from the airport

No fucking shit?

what do you need to be a journalist , or a sports journalist, or a person in a postion to be Newcastle Uniteds number 1 journalist ?

a pen

Whats the hold up anyway, Is Big Mike still fishing down the back of the sofa to pay the fee?

maybe they are haggling over the taxi fare from the airport

He's refused to pay for his suit.