Civil Wor

Jimbo

KEVIN KEEGAN is on a collision course with Mike Ashley over the sale of Alan Smith to Everton.

Smith looks set to seal his £2million switch within the next 24 hours.

But the move has angered boss Keegan and Dennis Wise, who both want to keep him in their threadbare squad.

On Wednesday, Keegan insisted Smith was going nowhere — only for owner Ashley to put his foot down and demand the former Manchester United man is flogged off.

Smith, 27, has been a flop at St James’ Park since his £6m move from Old Trafford last summer and has not scored in 37 games.

But Michael Owen, Mark Viduka and Obafemi Martins are all crocked so, at present, he is the Toon’s ONLY fit striker.

Smith is keen on Everton and would have moved there last summer if the Toffees had the funds.

Director of football Wise has taken Keegan’s side in the row, which casts yet another black cloud over Tyneside.

Keegan spectacularly clashed with billionaire Ashley at the end of last season and was summoned for heated clear-the-air talks.

But this summer Keegan has continued to look disillusioned over transfers and had no idea when asked over the weekend how close Argie ace Fabricio Collocini is to moving to Newcastle.

The boardroom uncertainty at the Toon also continues to create problems with Steve McMahon, currently working for Singapore investors Profitable Group and seen at St James’ Park for Wednesday’s friendly against PSV.

They have been linked — along with Indian Anil Ambani — with a £260m buyout.

But the former Liverpool star said: “We are forging a commercial tie-up with the club.

“We are hoping to be a strategic partner of Newcastle in the Far East.

“If we were going to target any club outside of the top four, it would be Newcastle.

"But I can categorically say I am not involved in buying the club and will not become director of football.

“I would love to be. It would make good sense because there is always something happening there — but I am not.

“What we want to do is turn Newcastle into Asia’s favourite club.”

Keegan, meanwhile, reckons Joey Barton needs just one month to get ready for a controversial return.

Advertisement

Midfielder Barton must work on his match-fitness after being released from jail. He will not take part in Newcastle’s last pre-season clash against Valencia on Saturday or the opening-day game at Manchester United.

Barton’s return to the first-team squad could coincide with the FA hitting him with an expected 15-game ban for his assault on Ousmane Dabo.

But King Kev has no problem about sparking outrage in the Premier League by letting the bad-boy, 25, off the leash when he can.

He said: “Joey’s fine but he won’t be featuring in any games until we get him match-fit. He came back for training last Wednesday as we flew out to Mallorca.

“There is no way he can regain match-fitness between now and the start of the season. There’s no way it would be sensible to give him a game at the moment.

"With the injuries we’ve got you would throw him in to a friendly like the PSV game but that would be crazy because he’s got to get match-fit.

“Normally you need a month to five weeks to get match-fit and that’s why we bring the players back for pre-season training five weeks before and then we play some games.

“The hard part for Joey and the lads who have been injured is the games have gone now and you almost have to do it all in training.

“His training and attitude have been excellent while I’ve been at this club. He just wants to get back to playing football.”

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they had already used the 'Wor' pun?

Anyway what a load of shite.

However, they have gone for an original (if made up) angle regarding Wise agreeing with Keegan :(

The press are determined to push this 'club in crisis' by-line. Yet none of these articles are ever accompanied with a single quote from an accredited source, as far as I can see. It's more sloppy journalism.

I think the more interesting question is whether Smith would rather be at Everton. Does he really see a future in the first team with us? Certainly most toon fans seem to want him to be there too, notwithstanding Keegan thinks he's a 'very popular' lad.

I'm more interested in the McMahon quotes there, liking the sound of that.

So's stevie. A few more Indian fans, maybe a bunch of chinese and a couple of thai's all posting here in their best engrish should make his day.

The press are determined to push this 'club in crisis' by-line. Yet none of these articles are ever accompanied with a single quote from an accredited source, as far as I can see. It's more sloppy journalism.

I think the more interesting question is whether Smith would rather be at Everton. Does he really see a future in the first team with us? Certainly most toon fans seem to want him to be there too, notwithstanding Keegan thinks he's a 'very popular' lad.

It really is pathetic isn't it, the press have nothing so they just blatantly make it up - there should be laws against this sort of nonsense.

Guest Stevie
I'm more interested in the McMahon quotes there, liking the sound of that.

So's stevie. A few more Indian fans, maybe a bunch of chinese and a couple of thai's all posting here in their best engrish should make his day.

Better than clueless convicts if you ask me.

I love the way they use quotes on different subjects to lend credibility:

KEEGAN AND ASHLEY CLASH OVER SMITH TRANSFER

quote McMahon on takeover (or lack of)

quote KK on Barton.

Where are thye quotes relating to the headline?

Guest Stevie

Spot the difference

"We are forging a commercial tie-up with the club," he told the Evening Chronicle. "We are hoping to be a strategic partner of Newcastle United in the Far East.

"I can categorically say I am not involved in buying the club and will not become director of football.

"I would love to be. It would make good sense because there is always something happening there, but I am not.

"What we want to do is turn Newcastle into Asia's favourite club and if we were going to target any club outside of the top four, it would be Newcastle because of the history, the fan base and, like I said, there is always something happening here."

But the former Liverpool star said: “We are forging a commercial tie-up with the club.

“We are hoping to be a strategic partner of Newcastle in the Far East.

“If we were going to target any club outside of the top four, it would be Newcastle.

"But I can categorically say I am not involved in buying the club and will not become director of football.

“I would love to be. It would make good sense because there is always something happening there — but I am not.

“What we want to do is turn Newcastle into Asia’s favourite club.”

A little subtle demonstration of the southern media propaganda against NUFC.

Edited by Stevie

Why include southern? They love man utd. The love liverpool.

Nothing to do with the north / south divide, we had it when we sacked off Jol, now its your turn.

I could see there being a disagreement within the club with Ashley seeing it as a good opportunity to offload the player and Keegan wanting to hang onto him because of the lack of attacking options we have at present. But I reckon those sorts of disagreements happen all the time in clubs up and down the country. However because it's us (we aren't unique in this respect) the media are making a fucking mountain out of a molehill because let's face it: if everyone's fit, he might not be on the bench even.

Guest Stevie

Nothing to do with the north / south divide, we had it when we sacked off Jol, now its your turn.

Hillsborough_disaster_Sun.jpg

Not being funny Danny but no ones fucking interested tbh

Not being funny Danny but no ones fucking interested tbh

Grow up you pleb, its directly related to what people are posting about. Idiot.

Stevie, that one story from one paper, many years ago.

The fact is that the media love the big four. Most fleet street hacks are Arsenal or Spam in my experience.

No one is interested in you making your shitty comparisons to Spurs all the time so why don't you fuck off to a Spurs board you fucking blue collar cunt? I'm sick of you turning every thread into one of your little bitch fest with that cunt Torres.

No one is interested in you making your shitty comparisons to Spurs all the time so why don't you fuck off to a Spurs board you fucking blue collar cunt? I'm sick of you turning every thread into one of your little bitch fest with that **** Torres.

Actually it was a bitch fest with Stevie that the yank decided to get in on. Hung over this morning are we? Or just bitter about the way it all turned out for you?

Guest Stevie
Stevie, that one story from one paper, many years ago.

The fact is that the media love the big four. Most fleet street hacks are Arsenal or Spam in my experience.

They're all yids. This is the worst piece of jounalism I've ever seen....

Tottenham 2 Newcastle 3

By MARK IRWIN

Published: 15 Jan 2007

rigTeaserImage

SOMEONE dial 999. There has been a mugging and the suspect was wearing a green shirt.

Scotland Yard last night issued a photo-fit of a small athletic Irishman and named him as Shay Given of Tyneside.

Cops appealed for 35,942 witnesses to the audacious robbery as shell-shocked Spurs were left dazed and wounded by the smash-and-grab raid.

To make matters worse for the victims, Newcastle’s winner was scored by a player who might easily have been sent off for his part in an angry half-time bust-up.

Nicky Butt secured the most unlikely victory of his long career with his first goal of the season.

Yet the former Manchester United and England enforcer could have picked up a second yellow card for a prolonged ruck with Spurs defender Pascal Chimbonda.

It all kicked off seconds before the break when Given took exception to a late challenge from Chimbonda and ran to give the Frenchman a piece of his mind.

Butt got involved in the fracas as the teams left the field and received a slap across the face for his troubles.

The Newcastle midfielder responded with an angry shove on Chimbonda, who wisely beat a hasty retreat as James Milner tried to restrain his fuming team-mate.

Yet even a yellow card could not stop Butt, who raced down the tunnel looking to exact further revenge on his assailant.

Referee Steve Bennett saw it all yet decided to take no further action against Butt.

Instead, he calmly waited for the coast to clear before entering the Spurs dressing room to add Chimbonda to his collection of bookings.

If only Newcastle had shown half as much fighting spirit during the preceding 45 minutes, maybe they would not have needed miracle-worker Given.

How the Geordies reached the interval on level terms they will probably never know.

Mind you, they have become so reliant on their Republic of Ireland keeper they probably take his heroics for granted these days.

This bloke is a typical yid cunt. Tottenham were the better team, in that game but this article exudes bitterness on a level not seen since Sol Campbell left for a bigger club in 2001. I and many others actually sent him an email at the time, I offered him to meet me, and discuss the article over a pint...I received no reply. His ratings gave every toon player 4 and Given 10.

If KK is fighting to keep Smith he's lost it.

Like he was likely to reply to that man Stevie :(

We got away with it that day like. Malbranque murdered us. And Matty P down the left :icon_lol: Worse than playing with 10 men which I suppose means the rest of the side should get extra credit for their battling performance. To portray that horrible, cheating, cowardly tart Chimbonda as the innocent party begars belief though.