The Large Hadron Collider

Lazarus

Guest CabayeAye

Daily Mail calling it the 'God Particle' is really boiling my piss at the minute.

Awesome news though, big jump forward in science. Well done all those involved.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CabayeAye

It isn't a common nickname. Almost all scientists despise it, and only the ignorant tend to use it.

The reason I hate it, is because it devalues everything that those scientists involved have done. To even associate the notion of a discredited theory such as God with one of the biggest breakthroughs in years is a slap in the face to those involved.

Those ignorant of how the world works try and answer anything they don't understand with 'God did it'. Those at CERN have worked tirelessly to answer the question "why do particles have mass" without just lazily saying "because God made it that way".

The fact that the Higgs Boson has nothing to do with any theories of creation doesn't seem to matter to some people.

How about all those with brain disorders such as religion leave science alone? Scientists don't go into churches demanding that all images of religion get removed because it is all a fairy story.

Much better name than "the champagne bottle boson" though.

The media are better at generating interest in discovery than scientists are.

Perhaps if they called TiME something better, like "Alien Sea Explorer" Nasa would get more funding.

its a name, its not its actual name its just a fluff name from the papers

its nothing compared to the significance of the discovery itself

do I?

oh you're still mad that I asked someone who wasn't you for a source when they posted something?

I see you've got over your "follow fish round and say *something* dave to all his posts" phase and have a new thing

It isn't a common nickname. Almost all scientists despise it, and only the ignorant tend to use it.

The reason I hate it, is because it devalues everything that those scientists involved have done. To even associate the notion of a discredited theory such as God with one of the biggest breakthroughs in years is a slap in the face to those involved.

Those ignorant of how the world works try and answer anything they don't understand with 'God did it'. Those at CERN have worked tirelessly to answer the question "why do particles have mass" without just lazily saying "because God made it that way".

The fact that the Higgs Boson has nothing to do with any theories of creation doesn't seem to matter to some people.

How about all those with brain disorders such as religion leave science alone? Scientists don't go into churches demanding that all images of religion get removed because it is all a fairy story.

I admire your passion for science but i guess the name is meant to inspire interest from the lay audience. Higgs-Boson doesnt mean anything and 'the particle that gives things mass' is not that much more interesting to someone who doesnt know the background.

I'd just like to thank the team here at CERN for everthing they've done, its been a massive day and i'm very proud to be part of it.

do I?

oh you're still mad that I asked someone who wasn't you for a source when they posted something?

I see you've got over your "follow fish round and say *something* dave to all his posts" phase and have a new thing

What?

Eh?

Source?

Leave your passive aggressiveness for xbox live rows mongboy

It's exciting news but the ultra cybic in me thinks it's happened a bit too easily and early after the opening to be accepted so willingly.

Of course if the collider does work this well then it'll hopefully provide more discoveries in a relatively short period.

What?

Eh?

Source?

Leave your passive aggressiveness for xbox live rows mongboy

What's passive aggressive about wondering where someone gets their information?

Or not getting what someone means and asking for clarification?