The Large Hadron Collider

Lazarus

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like the millenium bug, another false sunset. :panic:

Anyone with an IQ over 50 knew that was a complete load of ;), at least with this one no one is entirely sure, just almost certainly sure.

Anyone with an IQ over 50 knew that was a complete load of ;), at least with this one no one is entirely sure, just almost certainly sure.

You would have thought so, and it's easy to say so now, but the media hysteria and money spent on Y2K was ridiculous.

I remember a friend of mine being on call on NYE 1999 for £100 an hour in case there was complete infrastructure melt down.

It was bonkers, and that's what they said at the time; 'we just don't know'.

Edited by trophyshy

You would have thought so, and it's easy to say so now, but the media hysteria and money spent on Y2K was ridiculous.

I remember a friend of mine being on call on NYE 1999 for £100 an hour in case there was complete infrastructure melt down.

It was easy to say then, just a lot of people could make a lot of money from the fear, and the media loved it (and the politicians fell into the under 50 IQ population).

freemanae8.jpg

They must be making a Carry On film of it as that's defo Melvyn Hayes on the left of the picture.

Nice Micky Mouse tie there.....doing his bit to improve the image of cutting edge scientists.

Edited by trophyshy

There were some rather cryptic comments from 'experts' at the time. Like, it should be fine but I wouldn't want to be flying over South America at 12 midnight on Millenium Eve. Which ruined the plans of most people in the UK, obviously.

It was easy to say then, just a lot of people could make a lot of money from the fear, and the media loved it (and the politicians fell into the under 50 IQ population).

It's even easier to say 'it was easy to say then'.

which, in itself, is only marginally less easy to say. ;)

which, in itself, is only marginally less easy to say. ;)

Easy like Sunday morning tbf.

How can it be easier than some thing that we already said? Which isn't easy to say.

How can it be easier than some thing that we already said? Which isn't easy to say.

Easily.

Easily.

That's easy to say.

There was a lot of hysteria but there was also a shit load of work done in the run up to it which actually prevented problems.