Ashley: Eu must deliver, Kev

Happy Face

MIKE ASHLEY last night told Kevin Keegan: We have to get into Europe.

Toon owner Ashley reckons he is a middleweight taking on the Premier League heavyweights, yet that has not stopped him dreaming of glory.

Keegan did well to save the Geordies from relegation last term but Ashley is demanding a return on his £250million investment.

He wants Newcastle to at least land a UEFA Cup slot and so the pressure is on King Kev.

The billionaire sports magnate said: “The top four have enormous resources but over time it must be possible to compete with them.

“I’ve invested £250m in Newcastle and so that and European nights of football must be the dream.

“Compared with some of the other owners in the Premier League, I may be a middleweight taking on heavyweights but I’m building the boxer up.”

Over time, the dream, middleweights. Spot on comments suggesting he's looking at the bigger picture for a steady improvement rather than a quick fix.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MIKE ASHLEY last night told Kevin Keegan: We have to get into Europe.

Toon owner Ashley reckons he is a middleweight taking on the Premier League heavyweights, yet that has not stopped him dreaming of glory.

Keegan did well to save the Geordies from relegation last term but Ashley is demanding a return on his £250million investment.

He wants Newcastle to at least land a UEFA Cup slot and so the pressure is on King Kev.

The billionaire sports magnate said: “The top four have enormous resources but over time it must be possible to compete with them.

“I’ve invested £250m in Newcastle and so that and European nights of football must be the dream.

“Compared with some of the other owners in the Premier League, I may be a middleweight taking on heavyweights but I’m building the boxer up.”

Over time, the dream, middleweights. Spot on comments suggesting he's looking at the bigger picture for a steady improvement rather than a quick fix.

:(

It's not a bad outlook, but a lot depends on how much Keegan buys into it (especially compared to whatever he was led to believe when he came here).

Still needs a functional squad (that can take some injuries) though no matter what.

Love the way he keeps saying 'he's invested' £250m....

Aye, that's slightly worrying. Owning a football club has to be viewed more like having a very expensive toy, running it well along solid business lines is fair enough, but if he's looking for return on an investment then it's a difficult and dangerous road (even at clubs like Man U and Liverpool).

We haven't a hope in hell of getting into Europe as things stand. We really need 2/3 to go straight in the first team to even start thinking about it.

Have you read the club magazine out today Parky?

Aye, that's slightly worrying. Owning a football club has to be viewed more like having a very expensive toy, running it well along solid business lines is fair enough, but if he's looking for return on an investment then it's a difficult and dangerous road (even at clubs like Man U and Liverpool).

agreed. Those who understand that football is different, know this, and this is what is worrying.

makes me smile too .........

Howay man, it's just a phrase. Doesn't mean he's expecting some big return on it.

Making something out of nothing there like imo.

If you are waiting for him to suddenly say "Ive done this for nothing but love and enjoyment and don't expect a penny back at the end of it" you'll be waiting a long time.

Of course its an investment.

If I buy a new PC its an investment. I'll buy it, use it, hopefully enjoy it (unlike now due to a Nvidia/Vista driver problem!), and then at the end hopefully sell it and get some of my investment back.

What people are so eager to stand shoulder to shoulder with the red tops and shout "yeah, why Ashley" or "yeah, what you going to say to that Mike" baffles me.

Has years of discontent and being fucked over really make us all so sceptical and bitter?

I think Id rather cautiously enjoy it and feel fucked over when it goes wrong, that stand there smug saying I told you so.

If you are waiting for him to suddenly say "Ive done this for nothing but love and enjoyment and don't expect a penny back at the end of it" you'll be waiting a long time.

If I buy a new PC its an investment. I'll buy it, use it, hopefully enjoy it (unlike now due to a Nvidia/Vista driver problem!), and then at the end hopefully sell it and get some of my investment back.

What people are so eager to stand shoulder to shoulder with the red tops and shout "yeah, why Ashley" or "yeah, what you going to say to that Mike" baffles me.

Has years of discontent and being fucked over really make us all so sceptical and bitter?

I think Id rather cautiously enjoy it and feel fucked over when it goes wrong, that stand there smug saying I told you so.

the play on words mate, is making it sound like they ARE doing it for love and enjoyment and not expecting a penny back at the end of it.

We all know that if or when he sells, whether it be next month or 10 years time, he'll not have lost a penny.

He's got the club now, he should be focussing on being successful on the footballing front, how to beat the competition, and reaslising he has a manager that has shown he knows how to do it.

Seriously though in his defence, I think he's possibly not as well off on paper as he was when he bought the club, for a number of reasons. Also, he's put in £250m or whatever of his own money. Don't think anyone has previously put anything like that in the club's history either. I'm not saying he's won me over but I think he deserves time. I don't think instantly pouring in £100m for tranfers was ever really feasible even if it was what we'd all have liked.

the play on words mate, is making it sound like they ARE doing it for love and enjoyment and not expecting a penny back at the end of it.

We all know that if or when he sells, whether it be next month or 10 years time, he'll not have lost a penny.

He's got the club now, he should be focussing on being successful on the footballing front, how to beat the competition, and reaslising he has a manager that has shown he knows how to do it.

I agree! Of course if he sells it he will get "his" money back. the club will spend money in the meantime on transfers etc. Maybe he will tot up some of the transfer money with his own, I dont know. But, the whole idea is if he put "250M in now, and bit in for transfers on top of what the club does, then "if" it works and say we are a sold 5th place club in 3-4 years and he wants to sell, we'll be worth more than what he paid when he bought it. Fair enough to me like.

Thing is, all he will do is prob get his money back. Everyone says you dont buy a football club to make money. But, at the same time I can understand a more sensible approach for while you might not make money, you dont want to loose it either.

Seriously though in his defence, I think he's possibly not as well off on paper as he was when he bought the club, for a number of reasons. Also, he's put in £250m or whatever of his own money. Don't think anyone has previously put anything like that in the club's history either. I'm not saying he's won me over but I think he deserves time. I don't think instantly pouring in £100m for tranfers was ever really feasible even if it was what we'd all have liked.

I wouldn't have expected him to put in anything like 100m Alex, just to recognise the club has a manager capable of lifting it up to the top and allowing him to get one or two more players he wants. To date we haven't seen this.

Now that the club isn't paying back the installments on the stadium, and we have an increase in sky money, can anyone tell us where this money has gone if it isn't - or hasn't so far - been spent on players BTW ? Is immediately lowering the wage bill so important for a club with the 14th biggest turnover in football / 3rd biggest crowd in the country ?

I wouldn't have expected him to put in anything like 100m Alex, just to recognise the club has a manager capable of lifting it up to the top and allowing him to get one or two more players he wants. To date we haven't seen this.

Now that the club isn't paying back the installments on the stadium, and we have an increase in sky money, can anyone tell us where this money has gone if it isn't - or hasn't so far - been spent on players BTW ? Is immediately lowering the wage bill so important for a club with the 14th biggest turnover in football / 3rd biggest crowd in the country ?

Mainly agree. You also have the increased ST money because your ticket either went up or you bought the 3 years at a cheaper price so there must have been more cash knocking about. I'm more in a 'wait and see' frame of mind and I'm happy to judge him a little bit further down the line though.