Ashley: Eu must deliver, Kev

Happy Face

Not wishing to defend LM here but I agree if Ashley thinks we should be getting into Europe with this squad then he is deluded (and so is Keegan if he thinks it's possible too, which I don't think he does).

And of those four full international strikers, one is less likely to score than Given and two of the other three are regularly on the treatment table. If they were fit all season they would look like a top notch strike force which would require no additions. They will not be fit all season though as we all know (hell two of them aren't already and the third isn't fully prepared for the start of the season).

Ashley's never said Keegan has to get into Europe with this squad.

Take up the striker question with Keegan, he's the one who said he had enough cover there.

:anal:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so you're admitting we need a few more quality players to get us into europe ?

I think that sort of hits the nail on the head, and is the point that is trying to be made here.

If he doesn't do it now, then Keegan will be gone in a few years time. Opportunity lost. And if he doesn't do it now, you have no reason to think that he will in a few years time either.

We're on the verge of adding our fourth summer signing though. And a £10M defensive record breaker to boot.

Further acquisitions are needed as everyone at the club agrees (and have promised they'll arrive).

Do you complain bitterly about your shit christmas presents throughout November?

Whats the betting in a few years time, it dawns on people like you that Ashley is running the club in the manner that he intends to continue, if he really expects Keegan to deliver europe with this current squad of players then he really knows nothing about football. The only way he will this if we have unbelievable luck with injuries.

I already think he's running the club as he intends to continue. The only thing that will change is the class of player we can attract if Keegan can get us moving up the table.

Do you think the squad played to their potential last year?

the point you miss - accidentally or deliberately - is that while Keegan will make a good job with what he gets, how much will they capitalise on his potential ? And when he's gone, then there is no guarantee that the next manager will spend the money well. They look like they are doing a good job if the manager makes good judgements, but in reality, they should be doing better.

Better how?

Look , if we go out and buy the striker or midfield player that we need, and worry about the fee later, instead of scouting around the bloody bargain basement, then I'll admit he is showing something approaching the sort of ambition I think he should be showing.

In short, its called putting the football first.

If he seriously thinks they have done enough to demand that KK gets us into europe, then he's lost his marbles.

He's breaking our transfer record for a defender. Bargain basement?

Keegan has said all along he's happy with his forward line. There's 11 strikers in the squad, 4 of them full internationals.

Well, he broke it the last time too when he brought Peacock in, but it didn't stop him buying strikers too when he thought we needed them.

And I'm sure if he thought we needed strikers, he'd be chasing them.

Why did he go and watch Gomis then???

If he was watching Gomis (which I've not heard anyone confirm) I guess he was checking if he was too much of a bargain to ignore.....and found that he wasn't.

If he was watching Gomis (which I've not heard anyone confirm) I guess he was checking if he was too much of a bargain to ignore.....and found that he wasn't.

:nufc:

Just beware I shall strike when ready. :o

We've got no cover for right or left-back at the moment and that's probably the two most important areas."

He explained: "We've got plenty in midfield and up front, James Milner, Gutierrez will be fantastic then we've got Owen and Viduka to come back and so on."

We've got no cover for right or left-back at the moment and that's probably the two most important areas."

He explained: "We've got plenty in midfield and up front, James Milner, Gutierrez will be fantastic then we've got Owen and Viduka to come back and so on."

I'm sorry buy KK is talking out his arse. Viduka won't be match fit till christmas and Owen is still 3/4 weeks away. He's hardly done one full days training yet.

Where's this stupid fucking quote from???

I'm sorry buy KK is talking out his arse. Viduka won't be match fit till christmas and Owen is still 3/4 weeks away. He's hardly done one full days training yet.

Keegan.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/autocodes/...036;1233549.htm

Keegan.

Ok, it's from 2 weeks ago and things were looking different then. Hopefully we can get Viduka playing games end of Nov and Owen will come through this 'practice match'.

We haven't got plenty in midfield so I'm guessing there is another midfielder coming in.

KK wants to be careful he doesn't go overboard on his new role of 'expectation manager'. I would like him to carry on telling the truth as he has always done.

I hope to god he's getting the support he needs.

Keegan.

Ok, it's from 2 weeks ago and things were looking different then. Hopefully we can get Viduka playing games end of Nov and Owen will come through this 'practice match'.

We haven't got plenty in midfield so I'm guessing there is another midfielder coming in.

KK wants to be careful he doesn't go overboard on his new role of 'expectation manager'. I would like him to carry on telling the truth as he has always done.

I think he's right.

We have 8 first team midfielders...

Joey Barton

Danny Guthrie

Damien Duff

Charles N'Zogbia

Jonas Gutierrez

Geremi Sorele 

Nicholas Butt

James Milner

5 First team strikers...

Obafemi Akinwunmi Martins

Alan Smith

Foluwashola Ameobi

Mark Viduka

Michael Owen

And only 6 defenders

Jose Enrique 

Claudio Roberto da Silva - aka Cacapa

Habib Beye

Abdoulaye Faye

Steven Vincent Taylor

Sebastien Bassong

2 players in each position dictates we need 2 defenders.

Keegan.

I think he's right.

Joey Barton

Danny Guthrie

Damien Duff

Charles N'Zogbia

Jonas Gutierrez

Geremi Sorele 

Nicholas Butt

James Milner

5 First team strikers...

Alan Smith

Foluwashola Ameobi

Mark Viduka

Michael Owen

And only 6 defenders

Jose Enrique 

Habib Beye

Abdoulaye Faye

Steven Vincent Taylor

Sebastien Bassong

Looking at that he might have a point. :anal:

I see you've sneakily left Colo off.

Edited by Park Life

Keegan.

I think he's right.

Joey Barton

Danny Guthrie

Damien Duff

Charles N'Zogbia

Jonas Gutierrez

Geremi Sorele 

Nicholas Butt

James Milner

5 First team strikers...

Alan Smith

Foluwashola Ameobi

Mark Viduka

Michael Owen

And only 6 defenders

Jose Enrique 

Habib Beye

Abdoulaye Faye

Steven Vincent Taylor

Sebastien Bassong

haddaway to hell man, you aren't counting Ameobi :anal:

Coloccini to throw in the mix with tozer kadar and edgar in reserve....not bad to be honest though another LB would be ideal...KK speaks of being stocked in midfield and upfront and im not so sure as we are seeing now...

Viduka...unfit and inconsistant

Owen...class when fit

Oba...class but needs to be more consistant

Carrol...unproven

Ameobi...Shite

Smith...Lost his way

So in that sence upfront we have a total of 2 strikers who CAN be of a standard we'd expect in the PL, we still need another striker imo ashton or derdiyok

Midfield is a different story we have alot of stock but mostly for the flanks, we seriously lack some creativite spark in the middle, though i think jonas could be good through the middle we should still be looking for an addition in that department imo

Moutinho/Rakitic

Ashton/ Derdiyok

Then im happy :anal:

Coloccini to throw in the mix with tozer kadar and edgar in reserve....not bad to be honest though another LB would be ideal...KK speaks of being stocked in midfield and upfront and im not so sure as we are seeing now...

Owen...class when fit

Carrol...unproven

Ameobi...Shite

Smith...Lost his way

So in that sence upfront we have a total of 2 strikers who CAN be of a standard we'd expect in the PL, we still need another striker imo ashton or derdiyok

Midfield is a different story we have alot of stock but mostly for the flanks, we seriously lack some creativite spark in the middle, though i think jonas could be good through the middle we should still be looking for an addition in that department imo

Inler

Derdiyok

Then im happy :anal:

That is more or less how I see it.

We know the score bud haha....

Saying that though i'd prefer moutinho or rakitic ahead of inler

Derdiyok would be a great signing, what ever happened there? Werent we quoted as having "advanced talks" a while ago?

We know the score bud haha....

Saying that though i'd prefer moutinho or rakitic ahead of inler

Derdiyok would be a great signing, what ever happened there? Werent we quoted as having "advanced talks" a while ago?

We'll have to put up £20m for Moutinho. Everton have had 16m turned down. :icon_lol:

Owen...class when fit

Carrol...unproven

Ameobi...Shite

Smith...Lost his way

Inler

Derdiyok

Then im happy :icon_lol:

But at least the bodies are there. You could similarly say Taylor and Cacapa are shite and Faye is a crock so we only actually have 3 defenders.

Owen...class when fit

Carrol...unproven

Ameobi...Shite

Smith...Lost his way

Inler

Derdiyok

But at least the bodies are there. You could similarly say Taylor and Cacapa are shite and Faye is a crock so we only actually have 3 defenders.

except that Taylor isn't shite and so far as we can see so far Faye isn't a crock

Owen...class when fit

Carrol...unproven

Ameobi...Shite

Smith...Lost his way

Inler

Derdiyok

except that Taylor isn't shite and so far as we can see so far Faye isn't a crock

He couldn't manage as many games as Owen last season, and only got one more than Viduka. So if they're the measure of what constitutes a crock, he is :icon_lol: .

Opinion is divided on Taylor. I think he's shite and the Opta stats someone posted said he was the worst at the club.

That list of midfielders looks weak down the middle whichever way you look at it.

Butt - Does a job in front of the back four but adds nothing to our attacks. We need a Carrick type who can knock the ball about.

Gutherie - Looks promissing but seems to go missing from games as they go on. Doesn't look like an ideal partner for Butt at all.

Geremi - I like him a lot more than most and possibly would prefer him to Butt as he can pick out a better pass imo but his legs are gone.

Milner - Unproven in the middle.

N'Zogbia - Unsuccessfull in the middle so far.

Duff - Could see him as a winger or off a front man but I can't see him being strong enough to make his mark in the centre of the pitch.

Barton - Not fit, likely to be suspended for a canny stretch and wasn't any great shakes last season anyway.

Guttierez - Winger as far as I can see.

So yes we have potentially 8 players would could play in two positions but for me the reality is that none of them are the sort of players you really want in there to move us up the league.

That list of midfielders looks weak down the middle whichever way you look at it.

Butt - Does a job in front of the back four but adds nothing to our attacks. We need a Carrick type who can knock the ball about.

Gutherie - Looks promissing but seems to go missing from games as they go on. Doesn't look like an ideal partner for Butt at all.

Geremi - I like him a lot more than most and possibly would prefer him to Butt as he can pick out a better pass imo but his legs are gone.

Milner - Unproven in the middle.

N'Zogbia - Unsuccessfull in the middle so far.

Duff - Could see him as a winger or off a front man but I can't see him being strong enough to make his mark in the centre of the pitch.

Barton - Not fit, likely to be suspended for a canny stretch and wasn't any great shakes last season anyway.

Guttierez - Winger as far as I can see.

So yes we have potentially 8 players would could play in two positions but for me the reality is that none of them are the sort of players you really want in there to move us up the league.

I've been banging on about this for 2 years now, no fucker ever listens. :icon_lol:

The only team that conceded more than us last year was Derby.

We scored more than top half teams like Man City and West Ham though.

But lets leave the defence as it is and concentrate on improving our attack.

:icon_lol:

Coloccini will improve our defence dramatically imo!

Back four of...

Beye Coloccini Taylor Enrique

Pretty decent, so yeah, concentrate on improving our attacking side as we dont really have a brand or style of play anymore!

Jonas Gutierrez looks like he can bring a bit of class on the flanks and Guthrie some industrial and tenecious performances in the middle but we NEED NEED NEED some craft in the engine room too!

Has to be a priority now like.

The only team that conceded more than us last year was Derby.

We scored more than top half teams like Man City and West Ham though.

But lets leave the defence as it is and concentrate on improving our attack.

:icon_lol:

Well I think that by spending £10 on Colloccini we havn't exactly left the defence but for me the main reason we have been so poor at the back is to do with the lack of protection in front of them. If we had a midfield who could retain posession and keep the other team on the back foot we wouldn't put so much pressure on our own defenders. As it is we too often hand the initiative to the opposition.

The reason why our defence was mocked in Keegans first time in charge was because they kept making mistakes which costs us goals in important games (such as the Liverpool 4-3 and Fenton's goal for Blackburn), but the statistics showed that our defence was one of the best in the league. The reason for that was we were able to go at teams (home and away) and keep them away from our defence.

A strong attack can paper over the cracks in a poor defence and a great defence do the same for a weaker attack. Unfortunately for the last few years we have had a defense that was probably not as bad as it was made to look but not good enough to cover the fact that our attack wasn't up to much either.

If Colloccini can transfer his La Liga form to the premiership and we can get a really domiant midfielder to supply our (really quite good) strikers then I think we would be on our way.

Edited by David Kelly