Ashley: Eu must deliver, Kev

Happy Face

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only team that conceded more than us last year was Derby.

We scored more than top half teams like Man City and West Ham though.

But lets leave the defence as it is and concentrate on improving our attack.

:icon_lol:

Well I think that by spending £10 on Colloccini we havn't exactly left the defence but for me the main reason we have been so poor at the back is to do with the lack of protection in front of them. If we had a midfield who could retain posession and keep the other team on the back foot we wouldn't put so much pressure on our own defenders. As it is we too often hand the initiative to the opposition.

The reason why our defence was mocked in Keegans first time in charge was because they kept making mistakes which costs us goals in important games (such as the Liverpool 4-3 and Fenton's goal for Blackburn), but the statistics showed that our defence was one of the best in the league. The reason for that was we were able to go at teams (home and away) and keep them away from our defence.

A strong attack can paper over the cracks in a poor defence and a great defence do the same for a weaker attack. Unfortunately for the last few years we have had a defense that was probably not as bad as it was made to look but not good enough to cover the fact that our attack wasn't up to much either.

If Colloccini can transfer his La Liga form to the premiership and we can get a really domiant midfielder to supply our (really quite good) strikers then I think we would be on our way.

Agree 95% Its not a dominant midfielder we need its a midfielder with creativity and craft....guthrie/barton can be the box to box men until janurary alongside the creative addition and if that dont work, then go for a tough tackling CM in january...

Coloccini will improve our defence dramatically imo!

Back four of...

Beye Coloccini Faye Enrique

Fixed yer post

Sneeeaky! lol i rate faye and have confidence i him being in the side, but tayls has signed a new contract and will be eager to improve on last years substandard performances.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

Well I think that by spending £10 on Colloccini we havn't exactly left the defence but for me the main reason we have been so poor at the back is to do with the lack of protection in front of them. If we had a midfield who could retain posession and keep the other team on the back foot we wouldn't put so much pressure on our own defenders. As it is we too often hand the initiative to the opposition.

The reason why our defence was mocked in Keegans first time in charge was because they kept making mistakes which costs us goals in important games (such as the Liverpool 4-3 and Fenton's goal for Blackburn), but the statistics showed that our defence was one of the best in the league. The reason for that was we were able to go at teams (home and away) and keep them away from our defence.

A strong attack can paper over the cracks in a poor defence and a great defence do the same for a weaker attack. Unfortunately for the last few years we have had a defense that was probably not as bad as it was made to look but not good enough to cover the fact that our attack wasn't up to much either.

If Colloccini can transfer his La Liga form to the premiership and we can get a really domiant midfielder to supply our (really quite good) strikers then I think we would be on our way.

Agree 95% Its not a dominant midfielder we need its a midfielder with creativity and craft....guthrie/barton can be the box to box men until janurary alongside the creative addition and if that dont work, then go for a tough tackling CM in january...

I agree about the creativity but I am hoping that a creative midfielder will be able to really run the game for us and that is really where I am coming from when I say dominant midfielder. I wasn't really talking about a Roy Keane or Patrick Viera type (although they would also be good).

If Ne5 has to explain to you one more time about linkage between ball retention (shithole midfield and non-stick strike force) and defensive pressure, I'm gonna come round and cut your head off personally. :icon_lol:

If Ne5 has to explain to you one more time about linkage between ball retention (shithole midfield and non-stick strike force) and defensive pressure, I'm gonna come round and cut your head off personally. :icon_lol:

I don't think our problem was particularly about incapable midfielders/attackers keeping the ball, but incapable defenders and GK just hoofing it out (not to say Given Harper anren't good enough, hoofing it was the only option for them even when they had time on the ball :icon_lol: ) and pressurising midfielders/attackers to control and lay off with the skill of Shearer.

Edited by Happy Face

I think in Keegans first time here he brought in defenders that were comfortable on the ball that could take it forward and pick out a pass.

It's something we've not had at Newcastle for years and the constant stream of balls we've hoofed forward over the top is what Keegan should sort out. We have a midfield good enough to hold the ball and move forward, we just don't have a defence good enough to find them in space.

Beye is a good start.

Looking at those opta stats I'm more certain that's the plan...

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Foo...gate-Coloccini/

Initially it looks like Beye has the worst passing record, but when you see that "Clearances" (or donkey punts) are judged differently, he comes into his own.

He has a third of the "clearances" of Taylor (not a dig) and many more "passes", despite having played a lot less. His pass ratio is a bit lower, but that's because he's playing the ball out of defence far more than anyone else.

Collocini's stats in this regard are as impressive as Beye's. A third more time on the pitch, only as many "clearances" and a third more "passes", but even more accuracy with them.

Edited by Happy Face

this is what you need :icon_lol:

http://www.theolivecentre.com.au/assets/images/Chainsaw1.jpg

I don't think our problem was particularly about incapable midfielders/attackers keeping the ball, but incapable defenders and GK just hoofing it out (not to say Given Harper anren't good enough, hoofing it was the only option for them even when they had time on the ball :icon_lol: ) and pressurising midfielders/attackers to control and lay off with the skill of Shearer.

maybe, but it was shearer, Bellamy, Robert, Solano and dyer who shot us into the CL. The back four were Hughes, Bramble, O'brien, Bernard, Elliott and Distin for 1 year [for the most part anyway]

They did it by taking the game to the opposition and gaining the initiative

Most teams will have a good defensive record with good organisation, a leader at the back and decent players in front of them.

maybe, but it was shearer, Bellamy, Robert, Solano and dyer who shot us into the CL. The back four were Hughes, Bramble, O'brien, Bernard, Elliott and Distin for 1 year [for the most part anyway]

They did it by taking the game to the opposition and gaining the initiative

Most teams will have a good defensive record with good organisation, a leader at the back and decent players in front of them.

Fair point. Keegan must think

Owen = Shearer

Martins = Bellamy

Duff/Zoggy = Robert

Guti = Solano

and

er

Smith = Dyer

I think in Keegans first time here he brought in defenders that were comfortable on the ball that could take it forward and pick out a pass.

It's something we've not had at Newcastle for years and the constant stream of balls we've hoofed forward over the top is what Keegan should sort out. We have a midfield good enough to hold the ball and move forward, we just don't have a defence good enough to find them in space.

Beye is a good start.

I agree with the main gist of what you're saying (our back four missing out the midfield has been annoying me for some time) but I think you're over estimating the abilityof our midfielders.

Beye is a good start.

I agree with the main gist of what you're saying (our back four missing out the midfield has been annoying me for some time) but I think you're over estimating the abilityof our midfielders.

I know where you're coming from, but I think Keegan can work with what we have...and has shown it.

Allardyce had our squad and fans believing the midfield/attack wasn't worth shit. There were only 7 games in the first 30 where we managed more than one goal. Once Keegan instilled a bit of belief there were 5 games in the last 8 where we did. I don't think it was a fluke.

Edited by Happy Face

so its the engine room that eeds work, I agree to that. despite butts ability to break up oppositions play, he doesn't in my opinion have the ability to ove it round as well as we'd like.

Guthrie is not as tactically disciplined, and Geremi's legs are going and his range of passing isn't up to much

when Barton comes back i think he'll improve the midfield but we definitely need a better class of player than all of the above or maybe have owen play deep as we did last year, he actually used the ball very well when he dropped deep....

still thats not a permanent cure!

I'm off to bed, but I'd just like to say I've enjoyed reading all your posts over the last few pages. Nice to have a chat about the squad, the tactics, what's needed and what's worrying people.

Instant improvement resulting directly from the recent bannings if you ask me.