• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
Anything can do?

Anything we should do??

or just switch over and watch the Olympics

When Peter Beardsley used to get the ball no one knew what was going to happen next, but with this I think there;s every chance we do know what's going to happen next, and that is eventually we'll all burn like bits of paper in the nuclear fire.

I expect nothing less than a US/UK invasion of Russia personally.

The U.S. certainly won't do it and the U.K. can't do it alone. Russia has recently played its cards right with China and they're beginning to act like butt buddies. Russia and China already fear that the U.S. is invading Asia and challenging both of their dominance on the continent. An attack or serious mistake with either one is going to get the other involved. Seeing as both America and the U.K. are involved in other Asian conflicts, it would be wise not to take on a super power. Another thing: don't think either country would be granted Central Asian airspace if they invade Russia. We're in a strategic location to aid Western fighters in western Asia, but without us the closest you could get is Romania. There are also huge economic costs to go with such an attack.

Have they got much oil?

Georgia or Russia? Both?

Neither tbh. As a wooly liberal I was satirising foreign policy in the west.

:o

The U.S. only attacks when there is sketchy or no evidence of WMD's. :anal:

Have they got much oil?

Georgia or Russia? Both?

The U.S. and UK only attacks when there is sketchy or no evidence of WMD's. :anal:

FYP

:nufc:

But on a more serious note, this has been going on for a long time...Russia has just decided to raise the stakes. It may have something to do with the fact Georgia has recently made moves to join NATO thus taking them out of Russia's sphere of influence. They've done a good job at keeping Azerbaijan in their realm. I would not be surprised if Russia makes some violent moves against Armenia in the near future...no wait, nevermind...they have Turkey doing that.

Have they got much oil?

Georgia or Russia? Both?

The U.S. and UK only attacks when there is sketchy or no evidence of WMD's. :anal:

FYP

:nufc:

I don't know enough about the politics in the U.K. to make that assumption. I just know you guys and/or Canada are always willing to follow the U.S. into combat.

Have they got much oil?

What do you think it's about? (indirectly anyway)

Ironically this will be another situation that the USA would (rightly) get slated for in the West, but Russia (or China as they usually are) will be given a much easier ride.

Having said that this is a fairly decent overview.

I don't know enough about the politics in the U.K. to make that assumption. I just know you guys and/or Canada are always willing to follow the U.S. into combat.

In fairness Blair largely dragged the USA in to Kosovo, but since then it's certainly been the other way around.

But on a more serious note, this has been going on for a long time...Russia has just decided to raise the stakes. It may have something to do with the fact Georgia has recently made moves to join NATO thus taking them out of Russia's sphere of influence. They've done a good job at keeping Azerbaijan in their realm. I would not be surprised if Russia makes some violent moves against Armenia in the near future...no wait, nevermind...they have Turkey doing that.

Yep Russia doesn't want Georgia to join NATO. They've (Georgia) got a oil pipeline going through there country too. As it stands Russia dictates the price of oil that it sells to Western Europe. Georgia may have been tempted to lower their prices which Russia won't like.

You've got to love punishment...Russian stylee.

Have they got much oil?

What do you think it's about? (indirectly anyway)

Ironically this will be another situation that the USA would (rightly) get slated for in the West, but Russia (or China as they usually are) will be given a much easier ride.

Having said that this is a fairly decent overview.

most progressive state in the former Soviet Union

I would argue that and I think a lot of ex-Soviet countries would and we'd be right.

Rather than standing up for their own principles, western leaders think they can improve Russia's behaviour by appeasement, fearful of threatening relations with an undeniably powerful Russia.

That's the only way to get Russia to listen. Treating Russia like a defeated enemy after the Cold War and telling them what's best for Russia is what soured relations with the West in the first place.

Yep Russia doesn't want Georgia to join NATO. They've (Georgia) got a oil pipeline going through there country too. As it stands Russia dictates the price of oil that it sells to Western Europe. Georgia may have been tempted to lower their prices which Russia won't like.

Russia would LOVE to control Georgia. Not just for the ease of sending oil but for other exports. It would be complicated for Georgia to lower the prices since it is not their oil. The oil usually comes from us, Russia, or Azerbaijan and I think we and the Azeris would bomb Georgia if they lowered the price of OUR oil. :anal:

In fairness Blair largely dragged the USA in to Kosovo, but since then it's certainly been the other way around.

True...

It looks like there are strong connections between the U.S. and U.K. and Canada. I kind of admire that. From the outside it looks like you guys will always help each other out.

Russia would LOVE to control Georgia. Not just for the ease of sending oil but for other exports. It would be complicated for Georgia to lower the prices since it is not their oil. The oil usually comes from us, Russia, or Azerbaijan and I think we and the Azeris would bomb Georgia if they lowered the price of OUR oil. :anal:

Excellent point. :o

Aside from the sphere of influence bit, Russia wants it to be known they are a world power once again...

Excellent point. :anal:

Aside from the sphere of influence bit, Russia wants it to be known they are a world power once again...

And they do that by attacking countries much weaker than themselves. :o

This situation can get really ugly, very fast. I know the West feels like something needs to be done, but what can you do? If you step in, you make Turkey, Russia, us, and the rest of Central Asia very uneasy...and people forget how close Iran is to all of this. Granted, Iran's relations with Georgia aren't the best, but they are good friends with Azerbaijan.

This situation can get really ugly, very fast. I know the West feels like something needs to be done, but what can you do? If you step in, you make Turkey, Russia, us, and the rest of Central Asia very uneasy...and people forget how close Iran is to all of this. Granted, Iran's relations with Georgia aren't the best, but they are good friends with Azerbaijan.

All the countries you've mentioned, well I know Russia, Turkey and Iran (I'll add China to that as well) would sacrifice thousands and thousands of men to achieve objectives. It's the type of war Western Europe and the USA would not favour, hence why they would virtually be left alone, or at least why disputes would not be met with force but only diplomatic protests.

All the countries you've mentioned, well I know Russia, Turkey and Iran (I'll add China to that as well) would sacrifice thousands and thousands of men to achieve objectives. It's the type of war Western Europe and the USA would not favour, hence why they would virtually be left alone, or at least why disputes would not be met with force but only diplomatic protests.

Turkey may not, they're still after the EU bid, but Russia, China, and Iran would. They are preparing themselves for that. As far as Kazakhstan and the other 'stans, what we do with our military is for defense. I highly doubt we would get involved in this particular, hypothetical conflict because we really don't have any bad relations with anyone. We would be neutral, but that would mean no free airspace.

Turkey may not, they're still after the EU bid, but Russia, China, and Iran would. They are preparing themselves for that. As far as Kazakhstan and the other 'stans, what we do with our military is for defense. I highly doubt we would get involved in this particular, hypothetical conflict because we really don't have any bad relations with anyone. We would be neutral, but that would mean no free airspace.

I don't know much about Kazakhstan, so pardon my ignorance but is that the country where the head of state built a new capital city from scratch. Supposed to be a smashing city, and the work done (infrastructure, buildings etc) rivals that of Dubai???

As for Turkey, yes luckily they are a secular state, with modern thinking people, but there is support for a religious head of state... very dangerous if that happens.