South Ossetia

Rob W

There's certainly moves in that direction but for one thing, 'alternative' energy resources aren't close to being able to plug the gap that the loss of coal, gas and oil would / will bring. Also, after many years of being out of fashion nuclear power is being talked about again but these programmes haven't even been begun yet (in the UK at least) so we're decades away from that any energy crisis.

Nissan are bringing out an electric car for the American market in 2010. Should be interesting how sales/demand goes for that venture and whether it expands.

Japan has a car that can run on water. Through a chemical reaction, it splits the hydrogen from the oxygen and runs the car off the hydrogen. The future will be very very interesting.

It's a fact that all sea going vessels can now run on hydrogen drive.

Well, let me go power up my submarine ;)

How do you think all the goods Europe imports from China gets here? Magic?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's certainly moves in that direction but for one thing, 'alternative' energy resources aren't close to being able to plug the gap that the loss of coal, gas and oil would / will bring. Also, after many years of being out of fashion nuclear power is being talked about again but these programmes haven't even been begun yet (in the UK at least) so we're decades away from that any energy crisis.

Nissan are bringing out an electric car for the American market in 2010. Should be interesting how sales/demand goes for that venture and whether it expands.

Japan has a car that can run on water. Through a chemical reaction, it splits the hydrogen from the oxygen and runs the car off the hydrogen. The future will be very very interesting.

How do you think this pertains to individual transportation?

How do you think this pertains to individual transportation?

Sorry I thougth we were talking about world economics and polluiton and what not...

I was actually only pointing out that hydrogen drive is a reality.....

The stuff you say about Russia is wildly misinformed btw...You don't seem to understand the underlying factors and carry on like your reading from some 80's textbook on economics and development. That phase is 25 years out of date...There are almost no expanding markets but war and war supplies that is where the serious investment is....Russia is on the case.

Sorry I thougth we were talking about world economics and polluiton and what not...

The stuff you say about Russia is wildly misinformed btw...You don't seem to understand the underlying factors and carry on like your reading from some 80's textbook on economics and development. That phase is 25 years out of date...There are almost no expanding markets but war and war supplies that is where the serious investment is....Russia is on the case.

Wildly misinformed? Despite the fact that I have taken Russian studies courses from Harvard University. ;)

Stop weighing your opinion so highly and keep to your Western studies. I know the underlying factors, you know what the BBC reports.

Wildly misinformed? Despite the fact that I have taken Russian studies courses from Harvard University. :)

Stop weighing your opinion so highly and keep to your Western studies. I know the underlying factors, you know what the BBC reports.

;)

Wildly misinformed? Despite the fact that I have taken Russian studies courses from Harvard University. :)

I was right about the 80's textbboks then? ;)

You know fuck all about Russia.

I have Russian friends and am regularly in contact with Russian investors in Germany.

Russian studies at Harvard? I don't need to add anything to that. They're probably still looking up Iran on a 100 yr old map.

Edited by Park Life

Wildly misinformed? Despite the fact that I have taken Russian studies courses from Harvard University. ;)

East? West? Still dealing in utter fallacies at Harvard are they?

Also, as an aside is this Russian action any worse than what 'the West' is doing in Iraq?

Probably, you can't really compared Saddam's regiem (or the 3-4 way civil war that was suppressed by it) to Georgia's government.

Iraq is vastly publicised though, unlike say China's advances all over Africa.

Also, as an aside is this Russian action any worse than what 'the West' is doing in Iraq?

Probably, you can't really compared Saddam's regiem (or the 3-4 way civil war that was suppressed by it) to Georgia's government.

Russia won't be sitting back any longer.

;):)

Two wars vs. China investing in Africa? How do you even bring them up in the same post and keep a straight face?

Two wars vs. China investing in Africa? How do you even bring them up in the same post and keep a straight face?

Sorry to say Fopper that bit was hard to digest. :)

I never said China was fighting direct wars in Africa.

I said their advances weren't publicised, unlike Iraq which still gets massive headlines whenever a chicken farts.

But indirect wars and other imperialist advance? Yup, all over the place there. Not that it is well publicised so the clueless of the world tend to be :)'d by it.

Or (probably not surprisingly) do you not know about China's involvement all over Africa (from Sudan/Darfur to Zimbabwe), fuelling conflict, propping up tyrants/corrupt regimes, giving "aid" (military and otherwise) to secure crippling resources deals (for the populations if not their rulers anyway).

And if you're into direct death-tolls just look at Tibet and Xinjiang and for threat of conflict Taiwan.

Just because China aren't attacking a currently separate state at the moment doesn't mean they aren't directly or indirect killing a lot of people for their own ends as we speak.

Edited by Fop

I have Russian friends and am regularly in contact with Russian investors in Germany.

Russian studies at Harvard? I don't need to add anything to that. They're probably still looking up Iran on a 100 yr old map.

Tell your friends to pass some knowledge on to you. I'm from Kazakhstan, you're from Western Europe. I've lived next to Russia and it's not like my country does enough to keep my studies occupied, I had to look North. You can try to fit in all the insults you want about Harvard, but find the university on this list for me :) :

http://college-reviews.suite101.com/articl...es_in_the_world

Yes, as in you're in the West and I am from the East. It's much easier to understand an area if you have lived in it.

Tell your friends to pass some knowledge on to you. I'm from Kazakhstan, you're from Western Europe. I've lived next to Russia and it's not like my country does enough to keep my studies occupied, I had to look North. You can try to fit in all the insults you want about Harvard, but find the university on this list for me :) :

When's the last time you went to Russia or spoke to any Russian business people?

Yes, as in you're in the West and I am from the East. It's much easier to understand an area if you have lived in it.

Totally missed my point.

When's the last time you went to Russia or spoke to any Russian business people?

I went last summer and I worked with scientists.

Totally missed my point.

I'm just making things easier for you to understand.

In a colligiate environment or a business one?

Both. I don't speak poorly about Russia and technology because I read it in a newspaper.

_44916541_georgia_v5_466.gif

Russians in and around Gori now apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7558399.stm#map

I haven't read up on this Fop. Didn't Georgia start it?

It's a bit like Kosovo (or the Kurdish issue I suppose, perhaps even Tibet in a way), separatist regions and population percentages. I don't think any side is really "right".

(much like Kosovo in fact as all the West managed to really do there was swap ethnic Albanians being ethnically cleansed by ethnic Serbians, for ethnic Serbians being ethnically cleansed by ethnic Albanians - although again that bit isn't really publicised much).

i.e. there's no winners and probably no real "right", just a lot of hate and powers willing to take advantage of it.

So Georgia started this bit of it, I suppose, in that they were trying to reclaim the break away bit. But the whole thing is a mess.

_44916541_georgia_v5_466.gif

Russians in and around Gori now apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7558399.stm#map

I haven't read up on this Fop. Didn't Georgia start it?

It's a bit like Kosovo (or the Kurdish issue I suppose, perhaps even Tibet in a way), separatist regions and population percentages. I don't think any side is really "right".

(much like Kosovo in fact as all the West managed to really do there was swap ethnic Albanians being ethnically cleansed by ethnic Serbians, for ethnic Serbians being ethnically cleansed by ethnic Albanians - although again that bit isn't really publicised much).

i.e. there's no winners and probably no real "right", just a lot of hate and powers willing to take advantage of it.

So Georgia started this bit of it, I suppose, in that they were trying to reclaim the break away bit. But the whole thing is a mess.

I love the idea that the Cossack are getting invlolved - ancient blood fueds and roaming tribal warriors. ;)

Both. I don't speak poorly about Russia and technology because I read it in a newspaper.

Good to hear.