Tetchy Kevin Keegan hints at unrest

Jimbo

Twelve months ago it was the summer of Sam; this year it was meant to be the summer of love. Yet six days before Newcastle United begin their season with a testing visit to Old Trafford, certainty, stability and purpose are yet to be established at St James’ Park. This is a club with boundless potential, but a split personality, with a strong team and a threadbare squad.

For those supporters blessed (or cursed) with a buoyant outlook, the signs have rarely been rosier. No man taps into the Geordie psyche with more emotional resonance than Kevin Keegan, who, as a player and manager, twice previously persuaded Newcastle to reach for the stars. He is the ultimate salesman; he could charm insomniacs into dreaming. When Keegan succeeded Sam Allardyce in January, a city exhaled.

The optimists point to Mike Ashley and cheer. The owner is a billionaire with enough financial muscle to invest £250 million in the club, erasing a crippling, threatening debt. A man of the people, he sports his replica shirt in the boardroom and talks of having fun and winning trophies, but he will not be held to ransom by mediocre players. Fans have been reengaged, the academy attended to.

Yet the pessimists are not lacking material and what, after all, is the public perception of Newcastle’s close season? A failure to secure leading transfer targets such as Luka Modric, Arda Turan and Pablo Aimar. Relentless takeover rumours. Joey Barton’s imprisonment and subsequent release, when attempts to trim wages and impose discipline were blurred and botched.

Yes, Keegan is the right manager to reenergise the club, but why is there distance between him and the acquisition department? Does that really play to his strengths? Are Keegan and Dennis Wise, the executive director (football), pulling in the same direction? Who is making the decisions? Why has football’s greatest communicator not been encouraged to deliver a more upbeat message? Injuries are already a concern.

For those who tread a middle line, the overall effect is perplexing. Theoretically, Newcastle have never had it so good, but there is little sense of cohesion on Tyneside. In Majorca eight days ago, Keegan spoke with the same boyish enthusiasm that has characterised his professional life, but after Saturday’s 2-1 friendly victory at home to Valencia, the tone was different. It jarred.

Could he confirm that Fabricio Coloccini had completed his move from Deportivo La Coruña? “There’s nothing official,” Keegan said. “I can’t tell you anything at the moment, I don’t think. He was here, that’s for sure.” Earlier that afternoon, Ashley had been wearing Newcastle’s new change kit with the Argentina defender’s name on the back. Does it get more official than that?

Last week it was confirmed that Arthur Cox, a trusty Keegan lieutenant throughout his coaching career, had left the club. Was it retirement (Cox is 68) or cost-cutting? “He’s left the club,” Keegan said. “That’s it.” Is there any explanation? “No. He’s left the club.” Under Allardyce, Newcastle hoarded staff; now they are shipping them.

And what of Alan Smith, who appeared close to joining Everton after Keegan had stated that he did not wish to lose him and was then jeered against Valencia? “Alan Smith is a Newcastle player and that’s it,” Keegan said. “He’s a Newcastle player, no doubt about that. What happens in the future, you’ll be the first to know - you people usually know before we do.”

The players are patently enjoying Keegan’s methods, but there are not enough of them. As James Milner, the Newcastle winger, put it: “We’ve got the ability in the squad, it’s about the numbers.” Two more weighty signings and a bit of good news - Michael Owen is scheduled to play in a practice match on Thursday - could transform the mood, but the omens are conflicting.

Is there momentum? And in which direction is it propelling the club?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should be flattered they're wasting column inches on a club like ourselves (who aren't big, lets just sort that out straight away :anal: ) when Man Citeh are in genuine turmoil just a bit further down that M1.

Edited by Ketsbaia

Am I the only person who thinks Keegan's refusal to give anything much away to the press stems for his general dislike of them? From the minute he made his "Editors cut out important parts, like facts" comment in his press conference they've had their knifes out and have written some fairly baseless shite. I get the feeling that now rather than give them anything substantial to write about he's just playing coy.

Am I the only person who thinks Keegan's refusal to give anything much away to the press stems for his general dislike of them? From the minute he made his "Editors cut out important parts, like facts" comment in his press conference they've had their knifes out and have written some fairly baseless shite. I get the feeling that now rather than give them anything substantial to write about he's just playing coy.

he didn't dislike them the last time did he ?

I think he's obviously unhappy, or some things are not to his liking. This isn't good is it ? So why pretend there is nothing wrong. All the successful clubs have one thing in common, the manager rules the roost at the club, and things are done how he wants and with his own staff in the major positions.

I think he's obviously unhappy, or some things are not to his liking. This isn't good is it ? So why pretend there is nothing wrong. All the successful clubs have one thing in common, the manager rules the roost at the club, and things are done how he wants and with his own staff in the major positions.

Except at man city

Except at man city

True, but do you see Mark Hughes putting up with it for long if it continues ?

Do you just sit around waiting for tomorrows newspapers to hit the internet? :anal:

Keegan may not have had fallings out with the press the last time he was at the club but he did have a falling out with the board when they told him "You have to sell Shearer or Ferdinand", a falling out which saw him walk. As he has said time and time again he didn't take kindly to non-footballing people telling him how to make footballing decisions.

If that's the case this time why is he still here, I axe you?

Another thing in common? The managers don't talk about things in house.

Stop feverishly looking for problems with the establishment Leazes, it's boring.

Another thing in common? The managers don't talk about things in house.

Stop feverishly looking for problems with the establishment Leazes, it's boring.

well, I always thought the constant blaming of the fat bastard when it rained outside to be boring.

If you can't see the signs of someone not at ease with what is happening around him, its really your problem.

Honestly, everything in that article can be easily explained away. The best/worst bit is the Coloccini thing. Trying to make out there's some rift because KK said he hadn't officially signed but the chairman had his name on the strip top he had on. All Keegan was doing was telling the truth as he hasn't officially signed yet, probably pending his medical. Load of rubbish man.

Honestly, everything in that article can be easily explained away. The best/worst bit is the Coloccini thing. Trying to make out there's some rift because KK said he hadn't officially signed but the chairman had his name on the strip top he had on. All Keegan was doing was telling the truth as he hasn't officially signed yet, probably pending his medical. Load of rubbish man.

you're wrong alex, this is a clear indication that Keegan hates the job, that Owen's seeking legal avenues to get out of his contract, Ashley is going to cut and run, the new players are going to refuse to play unless they get massive pay-bumps and that NUFC are going to habitually slaughter children before every match.

Don't believe me? just ask Leazes... he's wise to the horror that's going on behind scene.

Do you just sit around waiting for tomorrows newspapers to hit the internet? :anal:

Keegan may not have had fallings out with the press the last time he was at the club but he did have a falling out with the board when they told him "You have to sell Shearer or Ferdinand", a falling out which saw him walk. As he has said time and time again he didn't take kindly to non-footballing people telling him how to make footballing decisions.

what are you on about ?

I don't sit around waiting for anything, some people have a life rather than sitting in front of a PC all evening.

For your info, Douglas Hall told Keegan that he didn't have to sell Ferdinand if he didn't want to. Proven by the fact that as soon as he was out of the club, the next manager let him go. It was the flotation of the club and how he viewed how it would change the club that laid the roots of his resignation. And, THAT particular decision was most certainly made by the major shareholders at the time, so get your facts right if you claim differently to suit any opinion you may have.

If he doesn't take kindly with non-footballing people telling him how to make footballing decisions [quite right too] then it will only be a matter of time before he fucks off again. He's sticking it out for now because he knows its his last job in football, his venture in Glasgow is apparently not doing so well, and he knows he'll be slaughtered - by the press - if he walks out again, even if its justififed. Are you seriously saying that he is happy with this setup and the scouts etc that he's been told he has to have whether he wants these people or not ?

Un-fucking believable.

Even if Keegan and Ashley were at loggerheads wouldn't that be a completely stupid thing to demand Keegan do.

"Kevin, you can mention he was training yesterday, you can mention he's at the stadium, you can mention I have his name on the back of my top and you can even mention you like his hair but if you DARE say he's officially signed i'm gonna knack yer!"

The Cox thing is a crock of shit too. Him and Kev are very good pals, he's old and the departure was so sudden you do wonder if there is something personal behind it that Keegan wont talk about out of respect for his friend? I don't want to speculate too much, like.

The Smith comment just sounds like another sly dig at the press, in my John Humble.

you're wrong alex, this is a clear indication that Keegan hates the job, that Owen's seeking legal avenues to get out of his contract, Ashley is going to cut and run, the new players are going to refuse to play unless they get massive pay-bumps and that NUFC are going to habitually slaughter children before every match.

Don't believe me? just ask Leazes... he's wise to the horror that's going on behind scene.

he's [Caulkin] only giving his impression of what he thinks is going on ffs. He's got no axe to grind. Not everybody thinks everything is wonderful just because you do

:anal:

what are you on about ?

I don't sit around waiting for anything, some people have a life rather than sitting in front of a PC all evening.

For your info, Douglas Hall told Keegan that he didn't have to sell Ferdinand if he didn't want to. Proven by the fact that as soon as he was out of the club, the next manager let him go. It was the flotation of the club and how he viewed how it would change the club that laid the roots of his resignation. And, THAT particular decision was most certainly made by the major shareholders at the time, so get your facts right if you claim differently to suit any opinion you may have.

If he doesn't take kindly with non-footballing people telling him how to make footballing decisions [quite right too] then it will only be a matter of time before he fucks off again. He's sticking it out for now because he knows its his last job in football, his venture in Glasgow is apparently not doing so well, and he knows he'll be slaughtered - by the press - if he walks out again, even if its justififed. Are you seriously saying that he is happy with this setup and the scouts etc that he's been told he has to have whether he wants these people or not ?

Un-fucking believable.

Keegan did utter the words "non-footballing people telling me how to make football decisions" and it's generally viewed that he was told he had to get rid of either Ferdinand or Shearer. A meringue?

And I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Dougie Hall's mouth after he said we were bound to go down if we didn't sack SBR.

Edited by Ketsbaia

and nobody thinks it's the clusterfuck that you do.

We'll see what he says about the setup when he leaves. Unless he's gagged [which I suspect he is now after what he said after the Chelsea game]