Naming of our stands

Guest Stevie

Guest Stevie

I can't think of any legal reason why the Leazes stand is unable to be renamed. Hall played his part in our revival, but did he do it out the goodness of his heart? Did he fuck. Newcastle have had 50 or more people connected with the club who deserve the acolade of having a stand named after them more than SJH. The Sir John Hall Stand, The Milburn Stand. Does that look odd to you? It looks odd to me. The fact Hall accepted, nay, maybe even prompted the naming of the Leazes as the SJH stand, is at best egotistical, at worst cuntish. To me it will always be the Leazes anyway, but if it has to be named after a stand then we need someone who has truly impacted himself, abilities and personality on the club and the area. They should be named after legends, not fly by night businessmen who come out with things like "Of course myself and Lady Mae acted as guarantors on the Andy Cole deal, if the club hadn't have been able to support the deal, the bill would be left with me." Bald headed kraut looking wank. It annoys me its still called the SJH.

In my view there are only four candidates of the last 50 years (not inc JETM) who are worthy of having a stand named after them. Keegan, Peter, Joe Harvey and Sir Bobby Robson. I think the club should act now, and name the Gallowgate after SBR. He was only here 5 years, but the impact he's had on the area, the club, on English football in general was immeasurable, I don't know if the clubs ever had a better ambassador, I propose one of the stands is renamed now, fuck Hall off, and get SBR's stand named before he dies.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of any legal reason why the Leazes stand is unable to be renamed. Hall played his part in our revival, but did he do it out the goodness of his heart? Did he fuck. Newcastle have had 50 or more people connected with the club who deserve the acolade of having a stand named after them more than SJH. The Sir John Hall Stand, The Milburn Stand. Does that look odd to you? It looks odd to me. The fact Hall accepted, nay, maybe even prompted the naming of the Leazes as the SJH stand, is at best egotistical, at worst cuntish. To me it will always be the Leazes anyway, but if it has to be named after a stand then we need someone who has truly impacted himself, abilities and personality on the club and the area. They should be named after legends, not fly by night businessmen who come out with things like "Of course myself and Lady Mae acted as guarantors on the Andy Cole deal, if the club hadn't have been able to support the deal, the bill would be left with me." Bald headed kraut looking wank. It annoys me its still called the SJH.

In my view there are only four candidates of the last 50 years (not inc JETM) who are worthy of having a stand named after them. Keegan, Peter, Joe Harvey and Sir Bobby Robson. I think the club should act now, and name the Gallowgate after SBR. He was only here 5 years, but the impact he's had on the area, the club, on English football in general was immeasurable, I don't know if the clubs ever had a better ambassador, I propose one of the stands is renamed now, fuck Hall off, and get SBR's stand named before he dies.

I agree with you there bud, it'd be great to see the Sir Bobby Robson stand in place before he dies - the 'Sir john Hall' stand means nothing really, I doubt there's many more in the club's history that are as widely well-loved as Sir Bob.

Guest Stevie
Hughie Gallacher should have a stand too btw.

There are other people who should come before SBR as well.

Joe Harvey - who else? Bill McCracken. SBR would be poignant and relevant.

I disagree with naming a stand after SBR, great man, great ambassador for football but came to us at the tail-end of his career and while he had success under him he never actually won anything, hasn't quite done enough for me.

Get a petition going :icon_lol:

Guest Stevie

Get a petition going :icon_lol:

Too much hard work and too time consuming for me, but I'm sure some of the gimps from Toon Ultras/NO could get something off the ground.

I suppose there's only Joe Harvey really and Gallacher who should be before SBR (in terms of the timing of such a gesture). Shearer, Keegan and Beardsley did more for the club too imo but the timing isn't right. Shearer could still be a future manager and Beardsley could still be involved too. Keegan is the current manager, obviously.

I disagree with naming a stand after SBR, great man, great ambassador for football but came to us at the tail-end of his career and while he had success under him he never actually won anything, hasn't quite done enough for me.

Aye, I wouldn't be against some sort of permanent tribute but not quite upto naming a stand in terms of what he did for the club. Sounds harsh perhaps given his current plight.

Guest Stevie

I suppose there's only Joe Harvey really and Gallacher who should be before SBR (in terms of the timing of such a gesture). Shearer, Keegan and Beardsley did more for the club too imo but the timing isn't right. Shearer could still be a future manager and Beardsley could still be involved too. Keegan is the current manager, obviously.

Harvey has the Harvey Suite named after him, even if its something like that it would be nice for him to receive some lasting acknowledgement within the club. As long its not the SBR Hot Dog kiosk, or SBR bog.

The only way it should be named after SBR, is if it includes a sponsorship deal from which all funds go to his charity.

The Sir Bobby Robson Brown Ale stand would be fine by me if it got the Hospital a few hundred grand.

Otherwise, I'd name the Leazes after Harvey, the East Stand after Hughie, And the Gallowgate after Mitchell.

Harvey has the Harvey Suite named after him, even if its something like that it would be nice for him to receive some lasting acknowledgement within the club. As long its not the SBR Hot Dog kiosk, or SBR bog.

Isn't there already a Robson Suite?

Guest Stevie

I don't know. I don;t go in the Milburn other than European games, when its the only place you can get a pint. There's the Harvey Suite though. I'll be pleased if they name a stand after SBR, only the cold hearted could begrudge him it. The main point I'm making alongside that, is Sir John Hall's name should be struck off straight away. What next? The Gordon McKeag East Stand?

I don't know. I don;t go in the Milburn other than European games, when its the only place you can get a pint. There's the Harvey Suite though. I'll be pleased if they name a stand after SBR, only the cold hearted could begrudge him it. The main point I'm making alongside that, is Sir John Hall's name should be struck off straight away. What next? The Gordon McKeag East Stand?

I agree that the name should be removed, better to do it now than after he croaks. How is he generally viewed in Newcastle? Still as the saviour of the club or are people realising that he didn't contribute quite as much as it seemed?

Guest Stevie

I agree that the name should be removed, better to do it now than after he croaks. How is he generally viewed in Newcastle? Still as the saviour of the club or are people realising that he didn't contribute quite as much as it seemed?

He did on the face of it a lot of good for the club. He formed the Magpie Group which revived the club, he deserves praise for that, but he didn't do it out the goodness of his heart. He did it because he's a ruthless businessman who saw an unbelievable opportunity, who for a comparatively small outlay he could make an absolute killing, which he did, to the tune of 70m when he sold up. I see him as nothing but a cold calculating businessman. I remember talking to Bobby Cowell about 10 years ago, as part of the great Cup Final teams of the 50s for years the toon gave him a free season ticket, a pensioner who had helped the toon through their glory days given a free season ticket, I think that's fabulous. However as soon as Hall and that jock bastard Fletcher got involved they went to Bobby and said Bobby you can keep your season ticket but you'll have to pay for it. How can a 70 year old pensioner pay them sort of prices. That's how I remember SJH, and also his self-promotion and glorification and I know I'm not alone.

I'm not against naming the stand after Bobby per se but it smacks to me of modern day sentimentality. By that I mean the way we have minutes silences at the drop of the hat for people who mean nothing to us (not against respect but the point stands) and other sort of touchy-feely crap.

I'd also say that Gallacher would be a million miles ahead of anyone in my opinion if such a naming was done for the "right" reason.

SJH is still Life President so I can't see it being removed. Given my impressions of SJH (did a lot of good for the club mind), keeping the name of the stand was probably one of his conditions for selling his shares.

John Hall doesn't deserve it but he certainly deserves it more than Robson. Tragic what is happening to Sir Bob but its just sentimental bollocks. People will be asking for stands to be named after Gazza next.

I'm not against naming the stand after Bobby per se but it smacks to me of modern day sentimentality. By that I mean the way we have minutes silences at the drop of the hat for people who mean nothing to us (not against respect but the point stands) and other sort of touchy-feely crap.

I'd also say that Gallacher would be a million miles ahead of anyone in my opinion if such a naming was done for the "right" reason.

Although it does seem that such shows do appear quite regular I would say that Sir Bobby means a tad more to us than most of the muppets a minutes silence is given for. It'd be a good idea having a Gallacher renaming but as things stand I'd rather see Bobby honoured in such a way while he's still alive and able to appreciate how much he's loved before he passes away.

John Hall doesn't deserve it but he certainly deserves it more than Robson. Tragic what is happening to Sir Bob but its just sentimental bollocks. People will be asking for stands to be named after Gazza next.

You fucking penis

He did on the face of it a lot of good for the club. He formed the Magpie Group which revived the club, he deserves praise for that, but he didn't do it out the goodness of his heart. He did it because he's a ruthless businessman who saw an unbelievable opportunity, who for a comparatively small outlay he could make an absolute killing, which he did, to the tune of 70m when he sold up. I see him as nothing but a cold calculating businessman. I remember talking to Bobby Cowell about 10 years ago, as part of the great Cup Final teams of the 50s for years the toon gave him a free season ticket, a pensioner who had helped the toon through their glory days given a free season ticket, I think that's fabulous. However as soon as Hall and that jock bastard Fletcher got involved they went to Bobby and said Bobby you can keep your season ticket but you'll have to pay for it. How can a 70 year old pensioner pay them sort of prices. That's how I remember SJH, and also his self-promotion and glorification and I know I'm not alone.

You can't really knock what he did up until the mid-90's, but it wasn't the altruistic crusade it was often portrayed as at the time (consciously so, of course), although I think it was probably legacy as well as potential profit.

But after that there's a lot of criticism from the events around losing Keegan onwards (although FFS got most of the public flack - the Hall's were likely as much or more or a driving force in the wrong direction at many crucial times). Although his son Feckless Hall was, of course, never anything but a bloodsucking parasite on the club.

I'd say Hall snr. comes off about equal over all, maybe still slightly in the black. But Hall Jnr. I would happily roast marshmallows over if he were on fire.

You fucking penis

A well thought out debate. Cheers :icon_lol: