Naming of our stands

Guest Stevie

I'm not against naming the stand after Bobby per se but it smacks to me of modern day sentimentality. By that I mean the way we have minutes silences at the drop of the hat for people who mean nothing to us (not against respect but the point stands) and other sort of touchy-feely crap.

I'd also say that Gallacher would be a million miles ahead of anyone in my opinion if such a naming was done for the "right" reason.

Although it does seem that such shows do appear quite regular I would say that Sir Bobby means a tad more to us than most of the muppets a minutes silence is given for. It'd be a good idea having a Gallacher renaming but as things stand I'd rather see Bobby honoured in such a way while he's still alive and able to appreciate how much he's loved before he passes away.

That is just sentimental bollocks though. I begrudge him fuck all by the way - he's been a legend of the English game and everything he's achieved he's earnt and deserved. I don't think he's earnt or deserved a stand named after him at SJP.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John Hall doesn't deserve it but he certainly deserves it more than Robson. Tragic what is happening to Sir Bob but its just sentimental bollocks. People will be asking for stands to be named after Gazza next.

You fucking penis

A well thought out debate. Cheers :icon_lol:

You're welcome :icon_lol:

John Hall doesn't deserve it but he certainly deserves it more than Robson. Tragic what is happening to Sir Bob but its just sentimental bollocks. People will be asking for stands to be named after Gazza next.

You fucking penis

A well thought out debate. Cheers :)

You're welcome :razz:

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol::rolleyes:<_<:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

You fucking penis

A well thought out debate. Cheers :)

You're welcome :)

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol::rolleyes:<_<:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I was going to say that :razz:

You fucking penis

He's right though.

I know Robson turned us down when he was at Barcelona and seem to recall someone saying he did once before to manage Ipswich too (before my time [/spoony]).

Most fans wanted him sacked and half the stadium walked out when he got us into Europe.

He's hardly the sort of Newcastle man through and through that warrants that sort of honour.

You fucking penis

He's right though.

I know Robson turned us down when he was at Barcelona and seem to recall someone saying he did once before to manage Ipswich too (before my time [/spoony]).

Most fans wanted him sacked and half the stadium walked out when he got us into Europe.

He's hardly the sort of Newcastle man through and through that warrants that sort of honour.

I think I recall Sir Bob turning us down because he wanted to stick by his contracts, a man of his word and all that. And I don't recall it being that 'most fans' wanted him sacked, I didn't and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. I can't see how Hall could be justified to have a stand named after him if Sir Bob couldn't, Hall's hardly a Newcastle man through and through at all if we're going by that.

I suppose it depends what criteria you place on such things being named for - I guess Sir Bob is a legend in the whole area, in the ground maybe not so much to some.

Guest Stevie

You fucking penis

The kid is a nob, who posts to provoke behind his monitor, just ignore him.

While I understand the desire to commemorate the men who are important to Newcastle a part of me wants the stadium to return to the Leazes, the Milburn, the Gallowgate and the East stand. I know Milburn's in there but I think he's a special case.

I just don't want us having the Lurpak stand, the Pampers stand, the Ocean Finance suite or anything like that.

Hate that the bar is called Shearers, it's just not a good name. Should have been Gazza's for the irony and the aesthetic. Shearer could have a stand in a fair few years. The idea of Robson charity benefiting in some way from a stand sits well with me as well, but I just like the old names...

You fucking penis

He's right though.

I think I recall Sir Bob turning us down because he wanted to stick by his contracts, a man of his word and all that. And I don't recall it being that 'most fans' wanted him sacked, I didn't and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. I can't see how Hall could be justified to have a stand named after him if Sir Bob couldn't, Hall's hardly a Newcastle man through and through at all if we're going by that.

I suppose it depends what criteria you place on such things being named for - I guess Sir Bob is a legend in the whole area, in the ground maybe not so much to some.

It doesn't come across as a point of honour in his interview on with the Independent...

They had tried to lure him away from Barcelona and he was tempted. Hell, he first went to St James' Park in 1946, when he was 13. He was there when Len Shackleton scored six on his debut, against Newport County. He cheered them on at Wembley in the 1951 FA Cup Final, when they beat Blackpool 2-0. "But I'd waited 18 years to get to Barcelona and I was in no hurry to leave. I'd just persuaded the club to buy Ronaldo. I had Stoichkov there, Figo, a bloody good team. Besides, you don't walk out on Barcelona. Because if you do, you have to ... pay ... back ... every ... penny ... they've ... paid ... you!"

http://www.nufc.com/html/robson_independent.html

I love the bloke. Never wanted him sacked and never once left the stadium if a player was on the pitch while he was in charge.

But his popularity is less to do with his time at Newcastle and more to do with with his general likeability and excellent record elsewhere.

You fucking penis

The kid is a nob, who posts to provoke behind his monitor, just ignore him.

Whereas you just insult people from behind yours.....

Dalglish took us to 2nd place finish in the table, an FA Cup Final and beat Barcelona in the Champions League.

Perhaps we should name a stand after him.......

Whatever Hall's motives were, whether they be monetary gain or for stroking his ego he done more for Newcastle United than Sir Bobby. Without question. I begrudge Sir Bobby nothing, but talk of naming a stand after him is at best blinded by sentimentality and at worst utterly preposterous.

Edited by Sima

I begrudge Sir Bobby nothing, but talk of naming a stand after him is at best blinded by sentimentality and at worst utterly preposterous.

Sounds to me like you begrudge him having a stand at SJP named in his honour.

I begrudge Sir Bobby nothing, but talk of naming a stand after him is at best blinded by sentimentality and at worst utterly preposterous.

Sounds to me like you begrudge him having a stand at SJP named in his honour.

Well, I do have this habit of begrudging anything to people that don't deserve it like.....

Erm, the reason SBR turned us down was because he had a better job at the time btw.

Well he said it was because he wanted to honour his contract (and in fairness he has quite a bit of precedent for that sort of thing), but I guess only he will ever know.

Or do you mean prior to that?

Erm, the reason SBR turned us down was because he had a better job at the time btw.

Well he said it was because he wanted to honour his contract (and in fairness he has quite a bit of precedent for that sort of thing), but I guess only he will ever know.

"I'd waited 18 years to get to Barcelona and I was in no hurry to leave"

No, I mean when he was at Barcelona. Fairly obvious I'd have thought. Not blaming him either. Not one bit. 'Honouring your contract' is such a meaningless cliche in football in any case.

Shame about the timing etc. In hindsight appointing a caretaker would have been perfect as Robson was available the following summer.

"I'd waited 18 years to get to Barcelona and I was in no hurry to leave"

No, I mean when he was at Barcelona. Fairly obvious I'd have thought. Not blaming him either. Not one bit. 'Honouring your contract' is such a meaningless cliche in football in any case.

Shame about the timing etc. In hindsight appointing a caretaker would have been perfect as Robson was available the following summer.

Hmm.... I though that was what he'd said about it in his autobiography, I'll have to re-read that bit when I have time and see.

All I meant was this:

He didn't stay at Barca as a point of 'honour' he stayed there because it was a huge job he was enjoying working with one of the best sets of players in the world. The only thing that might have made him slightly torn imo is that Newcastle were the no. 2 team in England at the time and everyone knows that the Barcelona job is hard to hold down. I.e. he knew he'd probably get the bullet sooner or later and he knew he might never get the chance to manage Newcastle again. And certainly being able to take NUFC in such a strong position would be unlikely.

It's more this talk of 'honouring contracts' I take issue with. People only do that if they want to and its in their interests. Especially in football. Even honourable people like SBR. There are, arguably, notable exceptions/examples. I don't think this is one.

Yeah I thought he had painted it more "honouring contract" in his autobiography, but then I guess anyone would as it's basically setting things out at you'd like them to be seen for posterity.

Although really I can't hold it against him for choosing Barcelona, even if it was for purely "selfish" reasons.

Yeah I thought he had painted it more "honouring contract" in his autobiography, but then I guess anyone would as it's basically setting things out at you'd like them to be seen for posterity.

Although really I can't hold it against him for choosing Barcelona, even if it was for purely "selfish" reasons.

I think what a lot of people miss is that behind the 'Uncle Bobby' persona is that you don't achieve what he has done without a degree of selfishness and determination and so on. I don't mean that in a bad way either - it's just single-minded discipline in achieving your goals.

Is it right he chose Ipswich over us in '69 though?

Come on Leazes, you're old enough to remember.

Forget it.

Applying a bit of common sense, why would we even approach the sacked manager of Fulham when we'd just won the UEFA cup.

:icon_lol:

Chose Fulham over us as a player I think.

Forget it.

Applying a bit of common sense, why would we even approach the sacked manager of Fulham when we'd just won the UEFA cup.

:icon_lol:

Souness. :icon_lol: