Shit download speeds since going wireless.

The Mighty Hog

I switched from a general run of the mill modem (after it bit the dust) to a wireless router. Now since I've switched my download speeds on torrents have dipped from 100-200 kbs to around 40 or 50kbs at best and today they are topping out at a pathetic 10kbs. It's not just the torrent speeds that are affected downloading from places like rapidshare aren't fantastic either. I tried the guide on portforward.com and it's not made a bit of difference.

I switched from a general run of the mill modem (after it bit the dust) to a wireless router. Now since I've switched my download speeds on torrents have dipped from 100-200 kbs to around 40 or 50kbs at best and today they are topping out at a pathetic 10kbs. It's not just the torrent speeds that are affected downloading from places like rapidshare aren't fantastic either. I tried the guide on portforward.com and it's not made a bit of difference.

That's a shame.

:icon_lol:

My girlfriend's dad has been reporting similar issues.

He's not gone from wired to wireless, he's gone from a laptop running wireless through a PCMCIA card to one with an inbuilt wireless card.

The speed difference is ridiculous, on the PCMCIA setup, he's can pull 2,800 on download and 590 on upload. On the setup with the inbuilt card, he's pulling about 1080 on download and 120 on upload.

As a test we installed the PCMCIA card in the machine with the on-board card and what do you know? It's speed is back up to 2800...

I presume you're having similar hardware issues Hog....

Yeah the PC had the wirelss card pre-installed when I bought it from Dell. It just seems to have gradually got worse and worse. I wouldn't care but it's a decent enough router, the Netgear Wireless G and I'm not a million miles away from it, just in the room above.

Go wireless, build up the environment with electromagnetic smog - pay the price. :)

I must admit that study that showed you were exposed to more radiation in an office with an average amount of wireless than you were sat smack under a mobile phone mast was pretty eye opening.

There's a couple of studies suggesting negative biological effects now (although whether it'll pan out like cigarettes & cancer or MMR & Autism ;)).

;)

Sure I've been gone a while but this just had me shocked. Craig? Girlfriend? As well as a wife or instead of?

:lol:

Sure I've been gone a while but this just had me shocked. Craig? Girlfriend? As well as a wife or instead of?

I have a girlfriend AND a decree nisi Steve... :lol:

Hoping for the absolute pretty soon :icon_lol: