Niall Quinn: deluded.

Jimbo

Niall Quinn has given an insight into his ambition for Sunderland by insisting the club has the potential to compete with top-four clubs like opening day opponents Liverpool.

And he says he would love to be the Black Cats chairman who increased the capacity of the Stadium of Light to the point where it was one of the biggest club grounds in Europe.

Quinn (pictured) was speaking in Ireland ahead of a season which he hopes will see the club continue their swift upward trajectory in the game.

And while he admits that the club is still a long way behind the likes of Liverpool who were able to attract and pay for £18million striker Robbie Keane, he sees the time when the gap will have substantially

narrowed.

Referring to his former Republic of Ireland international team-mate, Quinn said: "Of course I was envious about the signing – Robbie will be a big hit there

"Liverpool are a few steps ahead of us at the moment.

"But after Christmas last year we murdered their home attendances every week.

"And if we keep progressing, if we get to the point down the line where we are knocking on the door to the Champions League, I would have to go to the investors and ask them to commit to a 60,000-seater stadium, to make us the second biggest club in England.

"We had five steps planned when we took over as a board.

"Step one was going up, Step Two was staying up, Step Three, where we're at now, was establishing ourselves in the Premier League, Step Four was competing for Europe and Step Five was aiming for Champions League football.

"And if we get to Step Five, then I think we will at the stage where we are pushing to extend."

Quinn believes the presence of Roy Keane is integral to the success of that plan.

And even though his manager has yet to agree a contract extension beyond this current season, Quinn believes Keane is happy at Sunderland and shares the same belief in the potential of the club as his chairman.

Quinn also said that the relationship between the pair is a successful

and working one.

He said: "We don't have to go out for meals with each other to tell each other how good we think each other is.

"But I think he appreciates what I'm doing and I certainly appreciate what he's doing for Sunderland."

Quinn raised eyebrows when he had the boldness, the nous and the negotiating skills to get Keane to commit to the stricken North East club as it languished at the foot of the Championship.

Quinn said: "Roy brings something colossal to the party.

"He lifted Sunderland just by association. The fact that he is also very good is a massive bonus.

"It didn't surprise me that he was good, just how good.

"I don't think he suddenly realised to be a different, calmer person. I think it was always there.

"I think he now has the right vehicle, in Sunderland, to go out and conquer the quest inside of him."

Guest Stevie

2nd biggest club in England :icon_lol: on what grounds????? A 60,000 capacity stadium?? By his reckoning we are the third biggest club in England now, granted I genuinely believe we could quite easily be that, but Sunderland?!?!?!?!?!?! FFS greatest toon speech one which was shunned by toon fans saying he was trying to score points with us, is when he said "Bob Murray knows in his heart of hearts football could go on for another 100 years, and Sunderland will NEVER be a bigger club than us." Sunderland :icon_lol:

IMO the best player Sunderland have had in the last 10 years was Julio Arca. Where did he live? Newcastle.

I'm struggling to think of anything they have that is better than us.

Is it an exaggeration to say we have two or three times more fans in the NE, than Sunderland? I think that's an understatement.

Is it wrong to say Newcastle is a nicer place to live with more attractions than Sunderland? Like comparing Ursula Andres at her peak to Sonya Jackson.

Who has the bigger stature? Again no comparison.

Who has an airport, who has a racescourse, who has a mainline trainstation etc etc etc

They will never have any of that. Second biggest club in England :icon_lol:

The thing is its possible they COULD fill 60,000, if tickets were at their ridiculously cheap levels, and every school North of York was sounded out about the buy one for 30 quid bring the whole school scheme.

You know what

Fair play to them, hes come out and said this is the plan over the next few years and this is how we are going to go about doing it, what has the Big MA come out with?

cock all

We're going to have a little bit of fun?

You know what

Fair play to them, hes come out and said this is the plan over the next few years and this is how we are going to go about doing it, what has the Big MA come out with?

cock all

How do you mean?

You know what

cock all

How do you mean?

You said MA has come out with cock all. I'm saying he always seems to say "we're going to have a little bit of fun" :icon_lol:

Who has an airport, who has a racescourse, who has a mainline trainstation etc etc etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7556937.stm

It was time to be "realistic about the ability of cities such as Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle to regenerate struggling nearby towns such as Liverpool, Bradford and Sunderland.

:icon_lol:

:icon_lol: steve will cream over that statement like

It was time to be "realistic about the ability of cities such as Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle to regenerate struggling nearby towns such as Liverpool, Bradford and Sunderland.

;)

:) steve will cream over that statement like

He'll be somewhere wanking himself stupid over this, wouldn't be surprised if he was part of the mad tory think tank that came out with it.

We're still the best looking though. :)

;)

Something I've been saying for years.

And as the tory think tank themselves admit

'No doubt some people will claim that these proposals unreasonable and perhaps plain barmy'

but you're no stranger to that kind of thinking are you, most of what you say either being made up or complete bollicks.