Milner completes Aston Villa move

Chaser

Aston Villa back in hunt for Toon ace James Milner

Aug 13 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

ASTON Villa are ready to come back in and test Newcastle United’s resolve to hang on to their England Under-21 winger James Milner.

The talk from The Midlands is that Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill is ready to make a £6m offer for Milner – and this after he completed his seventh signing of the close season when he paid Rangers £7.8m for their Spanish central defender Carlos Cuellar.

Cuellar was watched by Kevin Keegan and Terry McDermott in some of the Gers’ European games at the end of last season, but United instead turned to Fabricio Coloccini as their big-money buy for this problem position.

The Chronicle reported last month that, after being linked with both Aston Villa and Liverpool, United’s top brass insisted Milner was staying at St James’s Park.

And Keegan will do all he can to make sure Milner remains a United player in his paper-thin first-team squad, which could yet be strengthened by another player from Real Mallorca.

But whether the United boss will let Abdoulaye Faye, subject of a £2m bid by Stoke City, head off to the Potteries remains to be seen.

And United target Stephen Warnock today denied reports that he has handed in a transfer request.

The 26-year-old England left-back said: "The reports are rubbish, I have not handed in a transfer request."

In a separate development, reports in Italy claim Newcastle have signed former Chelsea midfielder Tiago from Turin giants Juventus.

The Gazetta dello Sport newspaper believes the Portugese ace has joined on loan for a year, with an agreement to make the deal permanent later for around £8m.

But one transfer that looks as though it will go through in the next 48 hours is not good news.

For Manchester United have agreed to pay Spurs £25m for their Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov, and he was in the North West today to discus personal terms.

If the deal does go through the $64,000 question is whether Sir Alex Ferguson, with Cristiano Ronaldo already ruled out and with Wayne Rooney doubtful because of a virus, will hand Berbatov his debut against Newcastle in Sunday’s opener at Old Trafford.

But United could soon be again competing with the likes of Man U for the big-money players if Mike Ashley finds a new business partner.

And he could have found one with news coming out of the City that the United owner is due to meet Dell Computer Corporations chief executive Michael Dell this week.

And he could have found one with news coming out of the City that the United owner is due to meet Dell Computer Corporations chief executive Michael Dell this week.

What news is this exactly? Given his lack of sources at SJP I very much doubt he has many moles in the City.

What position was he playing when he was playing at Villa?

On the wing.

Ah, so he was. Just seem to remember him scoring a bit there and wonder if he was playing more centrally there.

On the wing.

Ah, so he was. Just seem to remember him scoring a bit there and wonder if he was playing more centrally there.

He did seem to come inside a lot more for Villa, setting himself up on the edge of the box.

On the wing.

I think he played on the left sometimes so he cut in. Was 2nd in the league in assists too iirc.

If they reckon Gareth Barry is worth £18m they can keep off Milner for £6m ;)

I would rather keep Milner anyway, he's still only 21 and he has looked class in pre season.

I would rather keep Milner anyway, he's still only 21 and he has looked class in pre season.

:) If Barry's worth £18m, £6m for Milner is about right.

:) If Barry's worth £18m, £6m for Milner is about right.

I would tell them to double it the way this transfer window has gone.

Fuck off man. :)

First pre season in 4 years and I think it will show when the season comes.

How has he looked class though?

Well maybe not class but he has certainly looked decent and worth keeping for sure.

Well maybe not class but he has certainly looked decent and worth keeping for sure.

Against PSV apparently he did, but I never saw that game. The games I've seen of him (four in total) he has looked anything but class.

Against PSV apparently he did, but I never saw that game. The games I've seen of him (four in total) he has looked anything but class.

He had a hell of a game against PSV but that's maybe down to him being played up front, he seemed dead confindent on the ball and he wasn't afraid to take on his man or hold it up etc.

He also put in a fairly good shift on Saturday I thought.

He had a hell of a game against PSV but that's maybe down to him being played up front, he seemed dead confindent on the ball and he wasn't afraid to take on his man or hold it up etc.

I'm sick of players "putting in a good shift" which is all Milner at best seems to do. I'm taking your hell of a game with a pinch of salt btw after saying he's been class in pre-season.

I'm sick of players "putting in a good shift" which is all Milner at best seems to do. I'm taking your hell of a game with a pinch of salt btw after saying he's been class in pre-season.

Watch the highlights :)

If Bentley is worth £15m + £2m, then Milner is surely worth more than £6m just due to the inflated price of English players. Christ Dyer was sold for £6m and he doesnt even play!

If Bentley is worth £15m + £2m, then Milner is surely worth more than £6m just due to the inflated price of English players. Christ Dyer was sold for £6m and he doesnt even play!

Fair comment, makes him worth ten then imo but if we get that we want to wear a mask whilst doing the deal.

England U21 coach Stuart Pearce has included Newcastle duo Steven Taylor and James Milner in his squad to face Slovenia at Hull City's KC Stadium on August 19th.

Are they ever going to become ineligible? They're both getting on for 23 ffs.