Milner completes Aston Villa move

Chaser

Guest Stevie
im starting to think villa fans are nearly as boring as their club

I could've told you that. When I was reading his stats all I could hear was Stan Collymore's voice in my head. He asks about our attendances in the early 90's, they were fucking brilliant, the 90/91 of 17,000 was due to a year long boycott, which everybody knows, and that 17,000 was far too good for the shite that was shown on the pitch. Villa averaged 14,000 in the top flight :) imagine doing that.

There are lots of ways of measuring what your club are, if column inches was one we'd be first or second, and Villa would be fighting relegation every year, no one cares or notices, you exist but don't care. Anything to do with them or any other midlands club, genuinely it's just fuckin boring. They have no real fanbase, what sort of fanbase gets 23,000 in the Premiership era at home?

Every season nufc.com have a go at Aston Villa's status as a non-entity club and I agree every time...biffa who writes these pieces is based in Birmingham must know Villa fans who genuinely think they're not a mickey mouse non-entity club going off this....

03/04

Attendance: 40,786. Still not capacity and only Chelsea and Liverpool have attracted more so far this season. Still something of a mystery why this Man United of the Midlands can't fill their ground every other week. Their lowest crowd of 28,625 against Portsmouth is nothing short of scandalous.

04/05

Attendance: 36,305, 5,259 of whom were in the away ends (last season 40,786.) A disgrace. England's second city, my arse. This club could and should be filling a 60,000 stadium for every home game.

A strange choice of pre-match ditties. Boro's Pigbag, followed by the Hi-Ho number used by Wolves. However, The Piranhas' Tom Harks allowed us express our feelings about the mackems.

05/06

Attendance: 37,140. Nothing short of pathetiic. Third highest crowd of the season at Villa Park behind Liverpool (42,551) and Chelsea (38,562) but ahead of Man United (37,128) and Arsenal (37,114).

06/07

Attendance: 35,141 - around 4,000 travelling fans including England bowler Steve Harmison.

New boy chants were mostly of the "Oba, Obefam, Obafemi Martins" variety, but we did like "He's 21, he's 28, Obafemi Martins".

Despite the Yankee hullabaloo this was a frankly terrible attendance - allow us to spread our own star-spangled wet blanket as follows:

Picture the scene: your team finally frees itself of a much-maligned old relic (Doug Ellis in case you thought we meant David O'Bleary) and appoints a much-coveted manager with a treasure chest of riches promised.

Gate-crashing an opening day party at the new Highbury, you then win your opening home game in midweek and are back on your own stamping ground just days later. It's August, it's a Bank Holiday weekend and the game isn't on the goggle box.

The first hint that this new beginning had failed to capture the imagination of the Villans came on the approaches to the ground, as the away ticket office was doing good business, despite United having posted the sold out signs the previous week.

Finding an extra section of tickets to flog to Geordie come lately's failed though to provide much compensation for the sections at the corners of each home stand that remained an empty block of bright blue after kickoff.

Ultimately Villa lost over 2,000 fans from the total attendance compared to the Reading game the previous week - but in reality there were more stay-at-homes, as the Royals didn't bring as many fans here as Newcastle. Hotbed, my butt.

Song of the day: Toon fans in the second half, "empty seats here, empty seats there...." accompanied by much pointing at home sections.

Those who did bother to slope along were blessed with the same turgid matchday tunes as were spun here two years ago - Pigbag / Hi-Ho / Tom Hark and that bloody dreadful Republica record that the mackems like.

As Biffa says, they are a boring, utterly wank club with even worse fans. They don't count and never will.

Sir, I can assure you, I am a very exciting person! If you would rather ignore my valid points and try and insult me then feel free.

I read your posts and automatically think of you as Ben Jahrvi from the film Short Circuit....

Do you wear nylon trousers and a packamac too?? :P

:)

Number Johnny 5!

The first sentence in my post was clearly a play on the boring jibe. Be fair! :nufc:

I could've told you that. When I was reading his stats all I could hear was Stan Collymore's voice in my head.

If I sounded like a Brummie I would stick cotton wool in my ears.

Guest Stevie

I could've told you that. When I was reading his stats all I could hear was Stan Collymore's voice in my head.

Ah you're Welsh as well :):P fuckin hell.

That makes me exciting, Mark Hughes is from my town!

Guest Stevie

Should you not be baiting fans of Forest Green Rovers and Barrow on their boards then?

Should you not be baiting fans of Forest Green Rovers and Barrow on their boards then?

I spend enough time arguing with fellow Wrexham fans, I don't bait other teams fans anyway, I have a bit more respect than to do that.

I spend enough time arguing with fellow Wrexham fans, I don't bait other teams fans anyway, I have a bit more respect than to do that.

How many teams do you support in any given hour?

How many teams do you support in any given hour?

I only support Wrexham financially and appearance wise. I have followed Villa since I was a young boy and obviously when something takes a hold of you at that young of an age it tends to stick, Wrexham come first, there is no doubt about that.

James Milner's representatives have hit back at Newcastle after they revealed he has handed in a transfer request.

The 22-year-old has been heavily linked with Aston Villa and informed Newcastle of his desire to leave last Wednesday.

A statement said: "The Professional Footballers' Association, who represent James, are disappointed his request has come to the public's attention.

"James' request was handed in on 20 August, at which point it was asked by Newcastle to keep the matter private."

Mick McGuire, the PFA's deputy chief executive, continued: "The request was given because the player was looking for an improvement on his contract that reflected his development and his value to the club."

A Newcastle statement released earlier on Wednesday confirmed that Milner had requested a transfer, but the club were yet to receive a suitable offer for the midfielder.

James has been professional in keeping the matter private whilst giving strong performances for Newcastle United.

PFA deputy chief executive Mick McGuire

"We have yet to receive an offer for James that matches our valuation," it read.

"However, should such an offer be received then the club will be reluctantly forced to consider it, given James's apparent desire to leave.

"The club is very disappointed that James sees his footballing future as being away from St James' Park. He is a valued member of the squad and it is only a year ago that he signed an improved long-term contract here."

Newspaper reports claimed on Wednesday that Villa boss Martin O'Neill was preparing a £9m offer for Milner, who joined the Magpies from Leeds in 2004.

He was on the verge of joining the Villans in August 2006 for around £4m after a lengthy spell there on loan, but Newcastle pulled out of the deal at the 11th hour at the end of the transfer window.

O'Neill said he is keen to strengthen his squad before the transfer deadline on 1 September and admitted: "Am I a fan of Milner? He was nearly here two years ago, he nearly signed but it didn't materialise.

"It was disappointing at the time but it was two years ago."

606: DEBATE

He's blatantly been playing for a move as I haven't seen him play with that much desire since the season before last

Liverpool have also been linked with a move for Milner, who signed a new four-year contract at St James' Park only last year.

"To clarify the situation, James did sign a contract 12 months ago," added McGuire.

"However this agreement was reached with the club nearly 12 months previously at the point in which Newcastle had agreed to sell James to Aston Villa on transfer deadline day 2006 before cancelling the agreement at the 11th hour.

"Although the transfer request was handed in seven days ago James has been professional in keeping the matter private whilst giving strong performances for Newcastle United."

Cenotaf, you spending time with supporters of Wrexham is what you should be doing, as is attending their games.

I live in Coventry so it's difficult to find fellow fans to mingle with, I attend as many games as I can afford.

your manager went to the same school as me, does that mean i'm your hero and all :)

Brian Little or Martin O'Neil? There's so many managers I just can't take it all in. Either way, yes, would you be comfortable in me making a shrine to you?

your manager went to the same school as me, does that mean i'm your hero and all :)

Brian Little or Martin O'Neil? There's so many managers I just can't take it all in. Either way, yes, would you be comfortable in me making a shrine to you?

Martin O'Neil and

yes i would be! :P

Feel free to call it a shrine to one of the Disciples of Keegan the Messiah

Haha, consider it done. In the centre shall be a picture of Chunk and a Baby Ruth though.

James Milner's representatives have hit back at Newcastle after they revealed he has handed in a transfer request.

The 22-year-old has been heavily linked with Aston Villa and informed Newcastle of his desire to leave last Wednesday.

A statement said: "The Professional Footballers' Association, who represent James, are disappointed his request has come to the public's attention.

"James' request was handed in on 20 August, at which point it was asked by Newcastle to keep the matter private."

Mick McGuire, the PFA's deputy chief executive, continued: "The request was given because the player was looking for an improvement on his contract that reflected his development and his value to the club."

A Newcastle statement released earlier on Wednesday confirmed that Milner had requested a transfer, but the club were yet to receive a suitable offer for the midfielder.

James has been professional in keeping the matter private whilst giving strong performances for Newcastle United.

PFA deputy chief executive Mick McGuire

"We have yet to receive an offer for James that matches our valuation," it read.

"However, should such an offer be received then the club will be reluctantly forced to consider it, given James's apparent desire to leave.

"The club is very disappointed that James sees his footballing future as being away from St James' Park. He is a valued member of the squad and it is only a year ago that he signed an improved long-term contract here."

Newspaper reports claimed on Wednesday that Villa boss Martin O'Neill was preparing a £9m offer for Milner, who joined the Magpies from Leeds in 2004.

He was on the verge of joining the Villans in August 2006 for around £4m after a lengthy spell there on loan, but Newcastle pulled out of the deal at the 11th hour at the end of the transfer window.

O'Neill said he is keen to strengthen his squad before the transfer deadline on 1 September and admitted: "Am I a fan of Milner? He was nearly here two years ago, he nearly signed but it didn't materialise.

"It was disappointing at the time but it was two years ago."

606: DEBATE

He's blatantly been playing for a move as I haven't seen him play with that much desire since the season before last

Liverpool have also been linked with a move for Milner, who signed a new four-year contract at St James' Park only last year.

"To clarify the situation, James did sign a contract 12 months ago," added McGuire.

"However this agreement was reached with the club nearly 12 months previously at the point in which Newcastle had agreed to sell James to Aston Villa on transfer deadline day 2006 before cancelling the agreement at the 11th hour.

"Although the transfer request was handed in seven days ago James has been professional in keeping the matter private whilst giving strong performances for Newcastle United."

Don't try to change the subject please.

:)

Given that Smith was booed after the Everton interest without even looking for a transfer, will Milner be?

Yeah of course he will be.

People who want him to stay will be hurt and will boo him and people who want him to leave will boo him too.

I am personally not a fan of booing anybody apart from opposition players and referees. :)

.com comment....

Having played his proverbials off for two hours on Tuesday night, there's no doubting Milner's on-field commitment.

After all, many other players would have conjured up an injury in order to avoid playing and being cup-tied.

Frustrations about his variable shooting and distribution remain, but even when his touch has deserted him, he's never hidden and his work rate remains undiminished - little wonder then that Keegan likes him so much.

In our eyes Milner's genuine graft and honesty have

provided an antidote to the feeling that we've signed mercenaries, thugs and conmen in recent years.

And having breathed a sigh of relief when the likes of Dyer, Jenas and Kluivert took their baggage and egos elsewhere, we feel the opposite about a man who to us is the very essence of anti-bling.

No Hello Magazine appearances, no pimp my ride or cribs -type nonsense, no car crashes, no night club antics, no grappling in the street. A game of darts appears to be his major vice....

To see a trio of gutless wonders who've done sweet FA for this club in the shape of Duff, Barton and Smith remain here on mega money while Milner goes sticks in our throat.

And we've not even started on the £100K+ horserace owner and his future.

If a football club is to go forward, then players that leave the team have to be replaced by an improved player in that position - note that we don't consider Duff to be in that category.

Were we to be able to do that in the case of Milner then we'd reserve judgment, but that hardly looks likely given the events of this transfer window at this point in time.

On that basis to allow Milner to leave seems illogical and says much about the current state of affairs at SJP, including the manager's diminished influence this time around.

Seems unfair to associate Owen with those 3 when he's always performed when able to play.

Cenotaff,

Been reading the Villa forum... you weren't serious about this were you?

Just posted on that Newcastle forum with some points on why they are not bigger than us. Praise me, praise me!

James Milner would be a pretty good signing I think, Newcastle are well-known for having class players and not getting very much out of them and no longer have Alan Shearer to constantly save them, they're lucky they still have Shay Given.

Also noticed Albert Luque is un-attatched, decent squad player, a low wage is better than no wage?

Link

.com comment....

Having played his proverbials off for two hours on Tuesday night, there's no doubting Milner's on-field commitment.

After all, many other players would have conjured up an injury in order to avoid playing and being cup-tied.

Frustrations about his variable shooting and distribution remain, but even when his touch has deserted him, he's never hidden and his work rate remains undiminished - little wonder then that Keegan likes him so much.

provided an antidote to the feeling that we've signed mercenaries, thugs and conmen in recent years.

And having breathed a sigh of relief when the likes of Dyer, Jenas and Kluivert took their baggage and egos elsewhere, we feel the opposite about a man who to us is the very essence of anti-bling.

No Hello Magazine appearances, no pimp my ride or cribs -type nonsense, no car crashes, no night club antics, no grappling in the street. A game of darts appears to be his major vice....

To see a trio of gutless wonders who've done sweet FA for this club in the shape of Duff, Barton and Smith remain here on mega money while Milner goes sticks in our throat.

If a football club is to go forward, then players that leave the team have to be replaced by an improved player in that position - note that we don't consider Duff to be in that category.

Were we to be able to do that in the case of Milner then we'd reserve judgment, but that hardly looks likely given the events of this transfer window at this point in time.

On that basis to allow Milner to leave seems illogical and says much about the current state of affairs at SJP, including the manager's diminished influence this time around.

Seems unfair to associate Owen with those 3 when he's always performed when able to play.

Do they understand that Milner has requested a transfer. NUFC have not touted him around or looked to sell him the twat has said he wants to leave.

Do they understand that Milner has requested a transfer. NUFC have not touted him around or looked to sell him the twat has said he wants to leave.

Only because he's still on what Taylor was on before his recent hike, and will be until 2011 unless Newcastle show some willing to reflect his growth as a player.

He's clearly worth more than Taylor.

Edited by Happy Face

.com comment....

As I said: NUFC.com will go into mourning if he is sold. They really do wank themselves silly over Milner. All the time. They probably wouldn't even comment at all if it was a different player handing in a transfer request. EDIT: They're right about Smith, Barton and Duff, mind.

Edited by Bombadil

.com comment....

As I said: NUFC.com will go into mourning if he is sold. They really do wank themselves silly over Milner. All the time. They probably wouldn't even comment at all if it was a different player handing in a transfer request.

It's sad that the site has turned from a very good fan website containing genuine news, some of which was ITK, to a platform for Niall and Biffa to air their opinions.

Only because he's still on what Taylor was on before his recent hike, and will be until 2011 unless Newcastle show some willing to reflect his growth as a player.

He's clearly worth more than Taylor.

He signed a 4 year contract last year which he was obviously happy with then. He can fuck off further if this is just a ploy to get more cash.