Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

Adequate would be glory days after the last 18 months tbh.

:lol: Aye, 11 players being comfortable passing the ball over 2 yards would be amazing compared to recent history.

Are we seriously collectively on board with this appointment...?

I think there's an acceptance that it's unlikely we'll get any better. Wallace & Wally.

You've got to, at some point, accept it and back him. He's coming into the club that's already toxic in so many ways, but at the end of it he's on the same ship as we are now and wants the same thing we do, which is for some level (variable depending on what your relationship to the club is it seems) of success.

He's not Klopp, he's not David Moyes. But we have to give him a chance, else we are doomed from the off to continue the dreary, droney existential crisis that has been Newcastle United for the past few years. Ashley is still here yes, and he's still a cunt and no matter how many interviews he does spouting future investment and whatnot will change it. I'll believe the club is going in a better direction morally, and when we are reaping the rewards of many years of balancing the books to provide us with a platform for future success when I see it. But you've got to have hope. Hope that, with the appointment, maybe something will change for the better. We're certainly fucking due a bit of a change in fortune (pun intended).

I think you are between stages 1 and 2. Most seem to be at 5. I am between stages 4 & 5 myself... But I'll probably have depression and acceptance coexist for a while. When we see that no real talent will be brought in, I will be back at stage 1 again.

I think may try to go FishOptimist mode before the season starts.

What's bad about McClaren?

I think he has a personality that might conflict with some players. I think as a bloke he's a prat and can see players thinking that too. Especially if he rolls into a club like billy big bollocks. He's had 3 jobs where he's not lasted 25 games. Awful starts with a new manager are a sign that the players just don't want to play for him. See Clough at Leeds. The players just wouldn't show up for him from the get go.

He had short shitty spells like that at Forest and Wolffsburg and England. But anywhere else his record is very decent. Also when fans have disapproved, he has resigned.

Suggests that if he is going to fuck up, at least he'll have the decency to do it from the start and move quickly on his way, unlike Pardew, clinging on without shame.

:lol: I think Carver's ineptitude has made a lot of people forget how rage-inducing Pardew's football was and how bad the results were that came of it. They've forgotten him playing people out of position, playing his favourites, his falling out with players because they wouldn't run backwards as a priority, it was absolutely fucking shite. Also, the players looked terribly coached; you could argue that's down to Carver and Stone and there's maybe truth to that but the manager is the bloke running the sessions and by all accounts, McClaren is a much better coach than Pardew. It's not an inspiring appointment but you don't get inspiring with Ashley's NUFC.

My major hopes are that he instills a watchable brand of football that involves us going at teams from the off, especially at home and sees him utilise players like Cabella, De Jong, Perez etc. in roles that suit them and get the best out of them. If he can get the injuries down, possibly by doing training that doesn't just involve us running around for 3 hours, it'll be a gigantic boost to our chances of having a decent season. He's shown himself to be a decent cup manager as well so if he can turn that particular calamity around, it'd be champion. In Pardew's reign, it was clearly apparent that he couldn't do any of that at all. HF is right that it's a gamble in the sense that the players probably haven't got a clue who he is, certainly not in the same way they would Vieira or Garde but they might like what he's selling and play for him. You never know but I think he's an improvement on what has come before him. It's not the massive statement of intent we would like but you've just got to accept it, look at the bloke from both sides (not just the instantly depressing one that pervades here) and hope that he can do well with what he's given.

:lol: I think Carver's ineptitude has made a lot of people forget how rage-inducing Pardew's football was and how bad the results were that came of it. They've forgotten him playing people out of position, playing his favourites, his falling out with players because they wouldn't run backwards as a priority, it was absolutely fucking shite. Also, the players looked terribly coached; you could argue that's down to Carver and Stone and there's maybe truth to that but the manager is the bloke running the sessions and by all accounts, McClaren is a much better coach than Pardew. It's not an inspiring appointment but you don't get inspiring with Ashley's NUFC.

My major hopes are that he instills a watchable brand of football that involves us going at teams from the off, especially at home and sees him utilise players like Cabella, De Jong, Perez etc. in roles that suit them and get the best out of them. If he can get the injuries down, possibly by doing training that doesn't just involve us running around for 3 hours, it'll be a gigantic boost to our chances of having a decent season. He's shown himself to be a decent cup manager as well so if he can turn that particular calamity around, it'd be champion. In Pardew's reign, it was clearly apparent that he couldn't do any of that at all. HF is right that it's a gamble in the sense that the players probably haven't got a clue who he is, certainly not in the same way they would Vieira or Garde but they might like what he's selling and play for him. You never know but I think he's an improvement on what has come before him. It's not the massive statement of intent we would like but you've just got to accept it, look at the bloke from both sides (not just the instantly depressing one that pervades here) and hope that he can do well with what he's given.

That is a cracking post!

I suppose it now remains to be seen if Ashley puts his money were his mouth is because if he expects McLaren to push on and win something then we're going to have to invest heavily in the team first and foremost we need something that Newcastle United have always been notorius for and thats a good old fashioned centre forward a proven goal scorer. Then we need to shore up the defence give Krul (if he's staying something decent in front of him. We need a bigger squad than we have to cover injuries if Ashley means what he says this is were he has to start.