Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

He might be a good coach (allegedly) but he's tactically inept and a terrible tactician. I can't remember one game this season (perhaps Spurs away) where I thought he got his tactics right. He's also incapable of changing things halfway through a match. I suppose it's difficult to have a plan B when you don't have a plan A.

He has to go whether we stay up or not. He's had 26 games with little or no sign of improvement. It's not like this is a blip either, he failed in all but one (FC Twente) of his last 6 managerial roles. We've spent £80m on players yet we still refuse to spend money on a proper manager. It's like buying a FTSE 100 company and installing Barry Chuckle as CEO.

I imagine Charnley is currently hiding under his desk drenched in sweat. If there is a decisive decision to be made we can all be confident that the man will completely shirk his responsibility.

I would have been on the phone to Moyes' agent after the second goal offering him till the end of the season and a big bonus if he keeps us up, if he agreed I'd have sacked McClaren as soon as the game finished. The man is clearly an assistant manager.

Also 80 millions is bog all really when taking in context with previous years of minimal outlay.

It's a case of having to balance out underinvestment, sure, but £80m properly spent is a tonne of money. Spent in a mix of "this guy becomes worth £50m on Football Manager!" and "holy shit holy shit DO SOMETHING!", even £800m wouldn't help.

Just been looking by the time we play Stoke, both Sunderland & Norwich will have played 2 games each we could well be cut adrift by then. Then to see that twat with a grin like a Cheshire cat after we've been frashed 5-1 makes you sick. The thing is he'll never be sacked as yet again he's another one of Ashley's puppets

It's a case of having to balance out underinvestment, sure, but £80m properly spent is a tonne of money. Spent in a mix of "this guy becomes worth £50m on Football Manager!" and "holy shit holy shit DO SOMETHING!", even £800m wouldn't help.

Sorry, I don't understand

Just been looking by the time we play Stoke, both Sunderland & Norwich will have played 2 games each we could well be cut adrift by then. Then to see that twat with a grin like a Cheshire cat after we've been frashed 5-1 makes you sick. The thing is he'll never be sacked as yet again he's another one of Ashley's puppets

Will we not just have one game in hand? The Man City game? Which we'll get nothing from anyway? Edited by Haydnator

Well as someone who has been sticking up for McClaren I have to admit that 2/3rds of the way through the season we should be seeing some signs or improvement away from home, as whatever messages he is trying to get across to the players should be sinking in and we should be seeing some evidence of it. My support for him is based less on any belief that he's the manager the club really needs (his record suggests he is almost certainly not), but more on the belief that he should be given time, especially as I would say we've been playing better football, by and large, than we have for quite a few years. After a performance like that last night though it's impossible to defend him. He is not the cause of the current situation, we all know that. We have seen enough of these howkings over the last 4-5 years under Pards and Carver to know that, but you have to have serious doubts about whether he's capable of getting rid of the losing surrendering mentality that seems to be so deeply ingrained in the club.

I am not saying I now want him sacked immediately, because it still boils down to the two issues that it always has since Keegan left in 2008: 1) would any better manager be willing to come and work under Ashley, and 2) if they would be willing, would Charnley or whoever it is that makes these decisions be capable of picking the best candidate. If the fact that we've spent a canny bit in recent transfer windows would convince better managers that we've got a bit more ambition now, we should probably be looking to replace McLaren straight away. If Moyes was willing to come he should be given the job tomorrow with a massive bonus if he keeps us up and a guarantee about summer transfer budget, to give him these next two weeks to work with the squad. I suppose what I am saying is that although I think McLaren was probably the best we could have hoped for when we appointed him, he may not be now.

That picture does make you worry. If he swans into the dressing room after the game with a smile like that on his face what sort of example is that setting to the players?

Aye, I never saw the interview so no idea what prompted his shit eating grin/laugh. I don't understand how he could be anything other than furious in the immediate aftermath, unless he's not that bothered? I'd happily forgive him if this was a blip but the fact is we've been rank most of the season so he can't write this one off and smile about it.

I'm at the point where I can't see what keeping him does, he hasn't had any impact on the players in two thirds of a season other than them being capable of passing the ball about a bit once every 4 games or so. The argument some make of who would we get is of course warranted as Ashley's track record is complete shit tbh, that's down to Ashley though and if he was motivated to go out and get a capable manager like David Moyes I'm sure he would come.