Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

A worry with McClaren is I reckon he'll throw his toys out the pram if he's not backed properly.

he's come to the wrong club if that's the case

A worry with McClaren is I reckon he'll throw his toys out the pram if he's not backed properly.

I think he will too, and I don't want a manager who wouldn't.

I think Cathro, McClaren and Simpson are an improvement on the dreary departed. McClaren has, throughout his coaching career, been highly regarded as a good coach, putting on good training sessions and developing players.

Ian Cathro is one of Europes most highly rated coaches, he's taken risks and has received credit and acclaim.

SImpson I don't know a great deal about, but has been part of a coaching set up with McClaren and receives praise almost by association.

Now when compared to Carver, Stone and Pardew, these three are huge improvements imo. None of the previous staff are renowned for their coaching abilities, in fact they're roundly derided for them. So, while CT's optimism is over the top, there are still reasons to be cheerful.

I think a lot of supporters saw Carver and Stone as just being here because they are Geordies and was supposed to get the fans onside. They had no pedigree other than Carvers own constant ramblings about working with Bobby Robson.

Obviously McClaren has pedigree with being the former England manager as well as leading the kiddy fiddlers to their only trophy and a European final and winning the league with Twente. It's also worth noting that he was coach at Manure for their best ever season. Of course Ferguson takes most of the credit for that but McClaren has been noted a major factor at the time also.

Simpson has managed a number of times in his own right and is obviously known to and rated by McClaren as he's brought him from Derby.

Cathro is something of an unknown quantity and I think that's definitely part of his appeal. It actually looks like an appointment made based on consideration of what we want to do rather than just a mate of McClaren. He's also got an impressive record in his short career. In portgal he was part of a coaching team that took Rio Ave to their best ever league position and subsequently moved on to Valencia and helped them to an impresive 4th place (you might say that's where Valencia should be but I beleive they did it spending very little and playing very well).

This is certainly why I'm positive about the appointments but I'm sure there's many others who are just happy for the change.

Didn't realise asking someone to explain their opinion was trying to be clever.

Coaching staff better because they just are. Gotcha.

He wasnt really expressing an opinion, he was expressing optimism.

The brain as we know has 2 systems for thinking, fast and intuitive and slow and deliberative, as famously framed by Daniel Kahneman,

Optimism is intuitive and can reflect a person's disposition but also their instinctive reaction. You were asking him to explain his optimism which would require him to engage 'system 2' as the rational, deliberative thinking system which gives structured reasoning for positions and decisions.

Not sure CT has a system 2.

I think a lot of supporters saw Carver and Stone as just being here because they are Geordies and was supposed to get the fans onside. They had no pedigree other than Carvers own constant ramblings about working with Bobby Robson.

Obviously McClaren has pedigree with being the former England manager as well as leading the kiddy fiddlers to their only trophy and a European final and winning the league with Twente. It's also worth noting that he was coach at Manure for their best ever season. Of course Ferguson takes most of the credit for that but McClaren has been noted a major factor at the time also.

Simpson has managed a number of times in his own right and is obviously known to and rated by McClaren as he's brought him from Derby.

Cathro is something of an unknown quantity and I think that's definitely part of his appeal. It actually looks like an appointment made based on consideration of what we want to do rather than just a mate of McClaren. He's also got an impressive record in his short career. In portgal he was part of a coaching team that took Rio Ave to their best ever league position and subsequently moved on to Valencia and helped them to an impresive 4th place (you might say that's where Valencia should be but I beleive they did it spending very little and playing very well).

This is certainly why I'm positive about the appointments but I'm sure there's many others who are just happy for the change.

There'll also be others who are happy because they've taken their opinion from others without further consideration or research.

He wasnt really expressing an opinion, he was expressing optimism.

The brain as we know has 2 systems for thinking, fast and intuitive and slow and deliberative, as famously framed by Daniel Kahneman,

Optimism is intuitive and can reflect a person's disposition but also their instinctive reaction. You were asking him to explain his optimism which would require him to engage 'system 2' as the rational, deliberative thinking system which gives structured reasoning for positions and decisions.

Not sure CT has a system 2.

Team optimistic

I'm happy with McLaren, as I've posted before , he's better than the best we could get under Ashley imo. A real surprise that he agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes the same way as Keegan though, as he's got lots of friends in high places and is no doubt being shat on as we speak.

I think he will too, and I don't want a manager who wouldn't.

Exactly. That was precisely what Pardew would not do, because he (rightly, probably) assumed he would have no other option. As soon as he did, he ran, but presumably on the basis that he would not criticise his former employer.

• 4 weeks later...

My question would be relating to his views on a young Irishman. ;)

182u_zpsf3546022.jpg

"Hi Steve, great show and great to talk to you. Welcome to Newcastle! I'm sure I speak for a lot of fans when I wonder what you make of some of the young guns, especially young Shane Ferguson. Is he part of your plans?"

10120731-large.jpg

"How many timesh with zis caller? Heesh a leetle, how you shay, 'parcel of fucking shite', man!' Pleashe do not ring me again."

So was anything of interest said other than his admission of a man crush on Sissoko?

Lemme guess;

"We've been working hard behind the scenes to get players in."

"pre-season wasn't ideal"

He'll have said some of the players that we all know are shit, have value. I'm going to say Gouffran and Steven Taylor?

He hopes to have another player or two before the window shuts?

He said every player has been impressive in pre-season games and in training,especially during the open day session at SJP.That to me suggests our squad is near complete.We call look forward to seeing Gouffran,Obertan,Williamson and Marveaux in the coming season.`Gabbers' of course got a tad excited when 5 in a row was mentioned.The presenter pointed out that we have won 5 in a row.He should have said `Been there,done it,but haven't worn the t-shirt because we had none printed as we don't have a chip on our shoulder regarding our rivals.Forever in our shadow'