• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
link?

Breaking News: Colo Joins United

NEWCASTLE United have completed the signing of Argentinian international defender Fabricio Coloccini.

The 26-year-old has put pen to paper on a five-year contract at St. James' Park after arriving from Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna. He will wear the number two shirt for his new club.

Article continues>>

Fabricio began his career with the youth team of Argentinos Juniors but made his professional debut in 1998 with Boca Juniors. The following season he moved to AC Milan but spent most of his five years at the San Siro out on loan before returning to Milan, playing once, and then moving permanently to Deportivo.

Coloccini was in the Argentina U20 side that won the 2001 FIFA World Youth Championship and in 2004, was an Olympic Gold medallist with Argentina in Athens where his team-mates included Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

In the 2006 World Cup in Germany, Fabricio played twice for Argentina, against Holland and in the losing quarter final against Germany. He also played as a substitute for Argentina when Michael Owen famously scored two late goals as England beat Argentina 3 - 2 in a friendly in Geneva in November 2005.

Last season, 2007/08, he played every minute of Deportivo's La Liga campaign, the first player to do so since the 1999/2000 campaign.

More on this story will follow on nufc.co.uk throughout the day.

hurrah. not a moment too soon either. no news of jonas in that though is there?

all we need now is to sign a new midfielder and a striker before the man u game and it will be a perfect end to what was looking like a sticky end to the week.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Jonas story

Breaking News: Green Light For Gutierrez

NEWCASTLE United has today received confirmation from FIFA that Jonas Gutierrez can feature in Sunday's Premier League opener against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

The Argentinian international joined the Magpies from Real Mallorca this summer, and has quickly impressed supporters with his energetic displays in pre-season matches.

Stick with nufc.co.uk throughout the day as we bring you all the latest news ahead of the Red Devils clash.

I'm unsure. Do you think we got his registration finally? Or it's just a special permission from FIFA?

Just look at the state of his hair ! ;)

I reckon he's another Carlos Puyol, actually shite, but afforded hero status because of the unruly barnet.

Puyol shite? I hope that's tongue-in-cheek.

I reckon he's another Carlos Puyol, actually shite, but afforded hero status because of the unruly barnet.

Gerraway man.

I suppose that Kevin Keegan was shite as well? And don't get me started on that Paul Breitner.

Yay!

Two extra players for the match on Sunda'!

Firstly have we definately got Colo's registration thru, and is he anywhere near fit enough toplay on sunday???

Even if he is, people will be able to have a moan about Owen's availabilty so not to worry ;)

Nah it's not, reckon he's pony myself.. Slow and regularly out of position. Realise I am out on a limb with that assesment.

Exclusive: I'll Be Fab For Toon

By Craig Hope

NEWCASTLE United new boy Fabricio Coloccini has revealed his delight after putting the finishing touches to what he calls a "dream" move to the Magpies.

The 26-year-old, who will wear the No.2 shirt, became the most expensive defender in the club's history this week as he penned a five-year deal at St.James' Park.

The former Deportivo La Coruna ace joins at least one familiar face on Tyneside with Argentina team-mate Jonas Gutierrez having also swapped La Liga for the Premier League this summer.

And it was Jonas who acted as a willing interpreter when Fabricio spoke exclusively to nufc.co.uk following the completion of his transfer.

"I'm very excited to be here and it is a dream to play for such a big club in the Premier League," said the 27-times capped star.

"I have known about Newcastle's interest for a while and I wanted to sign because it is a club I know all about from my time watching English football in Spain and Argentina."

And, when asked what type of player the fans can expect to see, Fabricio had this message for the Toon Army: "I'm a defender who will always try my best for the team.

"I think I am a good technical player and I will be suited to the speed and physical side of the game in England.

"I am also still fit because I was doing pre-season training with Deportivo and I can't wait to get started."

Former Real Mallorca winger Gutierrez has quickly emerged as something of a favourite among the Gallowgate faithful, and Coloccini says he has already been given the lowdown on life in Geordieland by his fellow countryman.

"Jonas has only been here a little while but he told me that we have very good supporters and an incredible stadium," said the centre-back who did not miss a single minute of league action for Depor last season.

"Playing at St.James' Park, in front of those fans, is something I cannot wait to do."

And when finally pressed if the Argentinean duo would be as successful as counterparts Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa during their time at Spurs, the pair laughed before quipping: "We hope so!"

Guest Stevie

He's certainly overrated. He's like an iconic Catalan figure at the back, hard, generally solid, but his flaws are completely ignored and there's no way he merits some of the awards he's attained. Someone like Daniel van Buyten is a better defender than him, but because the spotlight he plays in isn't as bright he isn't recognised like Puyol is.

He's certainly overrated. He's like an iconic Catalan figure at the back, hard, generally solid, but his flaws are completely ignored and there's no way he merits some of the awards he's attained. Someone like Daniel van Buyten is a better defender than him, but because the spotlight he plays in isn't as bright he isn't recognised like Puyol is.

:)