Filth

TheMoog

Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor has told his team-mates that they may have to learn to win 'dirty' this season.

The Gunners have been lauded over recent campaigns for their aesthetic style of play, but it has been three years since they last landed a trophy.

Adebayor has now hinted that Arsene Wenger's young side need to toughen up in order to end the silverware drought at Emirates Stadium.

And the Togo international feels Wednesday night's UEFA Champions League third qualifying round first leg victory over FC Twente is an indication that progress is taking place.

Difficult

"A lot of people talk about the good football we play at Arsenal but we are all in this game to win trophies and we haven't done that," he said in The Sun.

"It's difficult because when I signed for Arsenal from Monaco I knew I had the chance to win a lot of things. But I've been here for almost three years and I still haven't won anything.

"So now we have to realise that while it's good to play nice football, there are times when you need to be dirty to win a game."

Typical foreigner :lol:

Othello?

Was he tupping the white yew? :lol:

I am the white me.

One of Wengers mistakes in mho was faliure to see gilberto silva was neve going to be mobile enough to fill the hole left by Viera. Flamini came through and saved his arse to an extent, but he's gone now. AW should have gone out and got a real gansta sitter type like John Makoum (sp) or Essien. Of course they are looking at Annan now (Essien clone).

I don't Wenger ever intended Gilberto to left the void filled by Vieira. Vieira was gash as well during his last season at Arsenal btw.

We can debate that, but the fact is that the Viera of old was never replaced adequately. With him playing well Arsenal could sometimes up the tempo instantly and go straight forward, inststead of now where they normally go sideways first.

I don't Wenger ever intended Gilberto to left the void filled by Vieira. Vieira was gash as well during his last season at Arsenal btw.

We can debate that, but the fact is that the Viera of old was never replaced adequately. With him playing well Arsenal could sometimes up the tempo instantly and go straight forward, inststead of now where they normally go sideways first.

Wenger probably felt he never needed to having Cesc coming through the ranks due to the cover he already had with regards to 'holding' midfielders.

Wenger probably felt he never needed to having Cesc coming through the ranks due to the cover he already had with regards to 'holding' midfielders.

Fair enough. But Cesc for me is more of a triangle player and doesn't have the presence to bully through the middle (He did even try 'the beast'). For instance Wengers fav ploy of the forward dropping middle left to pick up the ball, was quite often foiled when up against a quality RB monitoring that movement. In fairness to AW he does sell players at the right time, perhaps due to money he didn't go straight out and get the 'holder' who can from time to time go through the middle.

The purity Arsenal often show is actually a weakness. Witness Man U, sometimes two 'holders' but with pace and power to go straight through the middle without going sideway.....Something Barca haven't addressed for a while imo. Tempo, tempo, tempo.... :lol::lol:

I think he means dirty as in dont play pretty - is probably a response to when Joe Cole said they wouldnt win anything playing liek the harlem globe trotters, and sometiems would need to win dirty.

That said, there are a fair amount of actual dirty players at arsenal and has been for years

For me the aging/retirement of Bergkamp has left Arsenal a shadow of itself more than them not replacing Viera.

Besides the fact he was a sneaky, dirty cunt, his ability to conjure something out of nothing makes him as influencial as to Arsenal as Cantona was to Man United.

Yes Viera may have channelled the play down the centre of the park but it was Bergkamp that broke the opposition's defence.

The difference is that Bergkamp provided for Arsenal for ten years (and thus making it harder to replace him and look at those they tried to with and failed - Reyes, Van Persie, the Nordic Crouch) whereas Cantona was only at Man U for five seasons.

Edited by sammynb

For me the aging/retirement of Bergkamp has left Arsenal a shadow of itself more than them not replacing Viera.

Besides the fact he was a sneaky, dirty cunt, his ability to conjure something out of nothing makes him as influencial as to Arsenal as Cantona was to Man United.

Yes Viera may have channelled the play down the centre of the park but it was Bergkamp that broke the opposition's defence.

The difference is that Bergkamp provided for Arsenal for ten years (and thus making it harder to replace him and look at those they tried to with and failed - Reyes, Van Persie, the Nordic Crouch) whereas Cantona was only at Man U for five seasons.

Yup, good point about Bergkamp. :lol: