Which 2 more players so you think we need?

Park Life

If you had to pick just 2 more transfers.  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You're like children who want their pudding before their main course.

We have enough forwards and midfielders. We don't have enough defenders.

While I respect you opinion... actually no, hang on, fuck that. You're talking shite man! Every man and his dog can see we need a new forward. Unless you are Fat Sam in a big foot suit. Viduka and Owen will miss part of the season through injury, Shola may well be sold though wont be missed and and Smith well, miss is his middle name. That leaves Martins who is brilliant or awful depending which way the wind blows. At least at the back we have people who can put a good stint in and have just signed Colo.

Only 4 players made more appearances than Owen last season.

Not quite the permacrock people are making out. Just a couple of very unlucky injuries in the past.

Appeared more than any defender we have apart from Taylor.

And who is fit for the start of the season from Owen, Martins & Viduka?

Our season doesn't even start until after the international break.

:lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We won't have if Faye goes to Stoke.

If he goes to stoke.

Carr, Ramage, and Rozenhal weren't good enough and got shipped out.

Only Coloccini and Bassong have come in.

Someone admit we need at least ONE more defender.

Damage didnt start one game last season.

Exactly. We've got 4 strikers who ALL played in 28 or more games each.

And only 3 defenders that managed the same.

Edited by Happy Face

The problem is I don't know that we have enough creative midfielders. And of our forwards we only have Smith and Ameobi fit (which is a bit scary - it wouldn't be so bad if our midfield was bursting with attacking potential).

I know it's an accepted truism that you build from the back, but at the same time going into game looking or only being able to not lose isn't going to get anyone that far.

We've brought in Guthrie and Spiderman to improve a midfield/attack that scored 15 (a third of it's total goals) in the last 9 games. I think as a whole they underperformed last season primarily because of Allardyce's demotivational skills. We have skillful enough players in those places in enough numbers to do the job when they're sent out to do what they're best at.

Defensively that's just not the case. There isn't experienced cover in each position like there is all over the rest of the park. This was highlighted throughout the season. Even in the last 3 games when we conceded 7. Only Coloccini has been brought in to help that though. More cover is required.

We have a first choice back four of Beye, Colloccini, Taylor & Enrique with back up of Geremi (plays internationally at fullback), Faye, Cacapa, Edgar, Bassong. Whilst I would like to see that improved (especially in terms of fullback cover) that at least gives us an acceptable starting back four who don't appear to have any injury issues.

In midfield we have Milner, Butt, Gutherie and Jonas as first choice with a back up of Duff, Barton, Geremi & N'Zogbia. I would say we aren't badly off on the wings but in the centre I don't think you can make a decent pairing out of the three of them (even without considering the likelyhood of a long Barton ban.

Up front we have three top notch strikers but two of them are very injury prone and when Viduka is out we are immdeiately struggling for a partnership. The other strikers in the squad aren't worth mentioning at all.

In summary if we were to only sign two more players for me it needs to be a midfielder because we need a starting 11 player there and a striker because the injury threat makes it more of a priority than at the back.

We have a first choice back four of Beye, Colloccini, Taylor & Enrique with back up of Geremi (plays internationally at fullback), Faye, Cacapa, Edgar, Bassong. Whilst I would like to see that improved (especially in terms of fullback cover) that at least gives us an acceptable starting back four who don't appear to have any injury issues.

In midfield we have Milner, Butt, Gutherie and Jonas as first choice with a back up of Duff, Barton, Geremi & N'Zogbia. I would say we aren't badly off on the wings but in the centre I don't think you can make a decent pairing out of the three of them (even without considering the likelyhood of a long Barton ban.

Up front we have three top notch strikers but two of them are very injury prone and when Viduka is out we are immdeiately struggling for a partnership. The other strikers in the squad aren't worth mentioning at all.

In summary if we were to only sign two more players for me it needs to be a midfielder because we need a starting 11 player there and a striker because the injury threat makes it more of a priority than at the back.

Once again i totaly agree mate!

Centre mid is the most important position to strengthen, we desperatly need someone to link midfield and attack and release our wingers....an audatious 15mil bid for johnsen at citeh would be met with great enthusiasm.

Up front we need another body in, preferably a talented youngen, someone who can come in if need be and blossom in time....Derdiyok is the boy!

Once again i totaly agree mate!

Centre mid is the most important position to strengthen, we desperatly need someone to link midfield and attack and release our wingers....an audatious 15mil bid for johnsen at citeh would be met with great enthusiasm.

Up front we need another body in, preferably a talented youngen, someone who can come in if need be and blossom in time....Derdiyok is the boy!

Ludicrous? I think so, is he really worth that much after one above average season? Hes an 8m player at best imo and spending that amount on him would be stupid business

We have a first choice back four of Beye, Colloccini, Taylor & Enrique with back up of Geremi (plays internationally at fullback), Faye, Cacapa, Edgar, Bassong.

How many of those do you think are comfortable enough on the ball to play it forward rather than humping it?

What's the point in an expensive midfield wizard that Faye, Edgar or Cacapa hoofs the ball over the head of?

I think Butt, Barton, Geremi, Guthrie and Gutierrez are all capable of getting the ball forward if they receive it to their feet.

Need another striker pronto, too many injury prone strikers on the books already.

Owen 33 appearances

Martins 33 appearances

Smith 37 appearances

Viduka 28 appearances

If you think they're shit, fine, just say so. But they all played more than Defoe or Drogba or Kanu or Walcott or Van Persie or Crouch or Zamora.....

We have a first choice back four of Beye, Colloccini, Taylor & Enrique with back up of Geremi (plays internationally at fullback), Faye, Cacapa, Edgar, Bassong.

How many of those do you think are comfortable enough on the ball to play it forward rather than humping it?

What's the point in an expensive midfield wizard that Faye, Edgar or Cacapa hoofs the ball over the head of?

I think Butt, Barton, Geremi, Guthrie and Gutierrez are all capable of getting the ball forward if they receive it to their feet.

You must admit, these guys are not first choice. So them humping the ball over the top of a creative maestro is irrelevant. I think Beye, Taylor and Enrique are all comfortable passing the ball 5 yards instead of humping it forward, and from what I've heard (and the glimpses I've seen) of Colo he's assured on the ball as well.

I understand the natural desire to have a strong back line, but without a player who can create chances for our forwards, we will be under the kosh to the extent it wouldn't matter if we had 4 27 yr old Maldinis at the back, we'd still ship goals.

I'd say get a creative player now and address squad strengthening in the January window.

You must admit, these guys are not first choice. So them humping the ball over the top of a creative maestro is irrelevant. I think Beye, Taylor and Enrique are all comfortable passing the ball 5 yards instead of humping it forward, and from what I've heard (and the glimpses I've seen) of Colo he's assured on the ball as well.

I understand the natural desire to have a strong back line, but without a player who can create chances for our forwards, we will be under the kosh to the extent it wouldn't matter if we had 4 27 yr old Maldinis at the back, we'd still ship goals.

I'd say get a creative player now and address squad strengthening in the January window.

But I named 5 central midfielders who I think we have that can do a job. We have first teamers and plenty of cover for the position. You're sayin it doesn't matter that our defensive cover is shit. Taylor humps the ball forward more than any other defender at the club by the way.

I think we're more often than not under the kosh because of all the hoofing that goes on inevitably returning posession to the opposition.

Keegan had us creating plenty of chances by the back end of the season....when we had posession.

Realistically we need cover for the fullbacks and a central midfielder.

Yes we could do with getting another striker in but that isn't going to happen while Smith and Ameobi are still on the wage bill, if keegan does want to keep Smith then the finger will be pointing in his direction if we go through a dry patch with him in the side.

But I named 5 central midfielders who I think we have that can do a job. We have first teamers and plenty of cover for the position. You're sayin it doesn't matter that our defensive cover is shit. Taylor humps the ball forward more than any other defender at the club by the way.

I think we're more often than not under the kosh because of all the hoofing that goes on inevitably returning posession to the opposition.

Keegan had us creating plenty of chances by the back end of the season....when we had posession.

I don't agree that Butt, Geremi and Barton have what it takes to be a creative force in our side. While they can play a decent through ball and the like, none of them have the guile to truly be called a creative midfielder have they? I haven't seen enough of Guthrie and Guiterrez in the Premiership to pass comment. From what I have seen of these two I'd say that while they're both keen to get forward, neither of them are the creator, not in the same mould as, say, Elano, Aimar, Beardsley etc.

I agree that we suffered the hit and hope approach to defensive play under the last two managers, but hopefully Keegan will address this ethos by changing the mentality of the existing players, rather than relying upon new signings. Even then, I believe it's best to have at least one player for each position before you start searching for cover in other areas. We don't have a true creator.

I don't agree that Butt, Geremi and Barton have what it takes to be a creative force in our side. While they can play a decent through ball and the like, none of them have the guile to truly be called a creative midfielder have they? I haven't seen enough of Guthrie and Guiterrez in the Premiership to pass comment. From what I have seen of these two I'd say that while they're both keen to get forward, neither of them are the creator, not in the same mould as, say, Elano, Aimar, Beardsley etc.

I agree that we suffered the hit and hope approach to defensive play under the last two managers, but hopefully Keegan will address this ethos by changing the mentality of the existing players, rather than relying upon new signings. Even then, I believe it's best to have at least one player for each position before you start searching for cover in other areas. We don't have a true creator.

As I say, Keegan instilled a massive improvement in our attacking play that had us creating changes at the back end of the season. We've only improved on that with the purchase of 2 more midfielders and the sale of Emre the expensive flop of a 'creative' midfielder.

Defensively, we ended the season as badly as we'd been at any time throughout though. We then let 3 defenders go with 40 appearances between them and signed Coloccini. If Coloccini takes a knock we can only be worse off than last year when we conceded more than anyone but Derby.

Looking at it like that, I don't see how I'm the only one (that voted) who thinks we need at least one defender, let alone two.

Don't get me wrong I understand your point and it's valid, but I will not advocate buying second string in one position, when we lack a starter in another.

If Colo gets injured we're without (presumably) our 1st choice centre half and we'll have to rely on a weaker alternative. If our non-existant creative midfielder gets injured we can't even fall back on a weaker alternative, because they don't exist either. your worry if for the what if scenario, my concern is for the existing scenario. The one where we have no true creativity in the centre of the park.Without which all the defenders in the world will count for nought.

Don't get me wrong I understand your point and it's valid, but I will not advocate buying second string in one position, when we lack a starter in another.

If Colo gets injured we're without (presumably) our 1st choice centre half and we'll have to rely on a weaker alternative. If our non-existant creative midfielder gets injured we can't even fall back on a weaker alternative, because they don't exist either. your worry if for the what if scenario, my concern is for the existing scenario. The one where we have no true creativity in the centre of the park.Without which all the defenders in the world will count for nought.

But it's not, because we've got plenty of cover there with masses of experience between them. Your concern is for the "nice to have" scenario. Mine's for the "must have" scenario.

Who was the last creative midfielder we had in the mould of Elano or Aimar would you say? Was Dyer good enough at it? Certainly not for the last few years he was here. Jenas?

We've got into Europe several times without a fancy pants door opener in the middle. Especially when we've had quality enough on the wings.

EDIT: The last time we qualified it was Parker and Bowyer who were in the middle for the majority of the season.

Edited by Happy Face

But by that reasoning we shouldn't bother about a good defence because we've got into the CL without them.

I don't think a fancy pants door opener is a luxury in the modern game, I think it's a necessity. Wing play only works if you've the players to get on the end of things, Owen and Martins are ok, but they're not the dominant aerial threat that Shearer, Ferdinand, Ferguson were.

We're just going round in circles, I think we both agree that the positions we believe need strengthening are CM and Defence, it's just the order of priority that we're at loggerheads with.

But by that reasoning we shouldn't bother about a good defence because we've got into the CL without them.

I don't think a fancy pants door opener is a luxury in the modern game, I think it's a necessity. Wing play only works if you've the players to get on the end of things, Owen and Martins are ok, but they're not the dominant aerial threat that Shearer, Ferdinand, Ferguson were.

We're just going round in circles, I think we both agree that the positions we believe need strengthening are CM and Defence, it's just the order of priority that we're at loggerheads with.

:lol:

Well if no-one's going to argue my Friday afternoon is going to be very dull.

2 more bloody hours.

But it's not, because we've got plenty of cover there with masses of experience between them. Your concern is for the "nice to have" scenario. Mine's for the "must have" scenario.

Who was the last creative midfielder we had in the mould of Elano or Aimar would you say? Was Dyer good enough at it? Certainly not for the last few years he was here. Jenas?

We've got into Europe several times without a fancy pants door opener in the middle. Especially when we've had quality enough on the wings.

EDIT: The last time we qualified it was Parker and Bowyer who were in the middle for the majority of the season.

I dunno going way back then we didn't have an exceptional attacking midfielder, but we had much a stronger over all team, and one that had played together a bit.