Arshavin's price has been cut.

Wavey Davey

from skysports.com:

13.31: Zenit St Petersburg have reduced their asking price for playmaker Andrei Arshavin, having previously wanted £24million for the Russia international.

Go geddim, Keegan! :lol:

Guest Stevie
Tbh we have as much chance as spurs of getting into the CL

25% chance then. He'll go where the money is, he's Russian all he's interested in is money.

I don't think we have much chance.

If he set out for Champions League football with Barcelona I doubt he will come to Newcastle.

He agreed personal terms with Spurs when they aren't in the champions league...

Money talks.

That's what's affecting my valuation to be honest. Anyone who would risk his career for an extra few quid is a muppet with a bad attitude. Trouble is, he clearly is a talented player, so if we have the opportunity to sign him, we really should.

I was sort of joking. Personally don't think we have even a slight chance.

Spurs'll probably nick him, pay him too much and he's gone to Italy the following summer following desperate performances.

Probably.

when you are backed by gazprom you are bound to be fairly well off....

arshavin is an enigma to me. he's got talent but has always beleived his own hype. i reckon he'd break spurs wage structure if he went there as even their top earners are not on his wages....

I still reckons its nailed on for Spurs like. He probably knows its a good stepping stone if he's as good as he thinks he is. Much like it would be if he came here.

If ever evidence was needed as to how far up its own arse football has become then think of how a player who 6/12 months ago no one had heard of is now the supposed hottest property in football today worth in excess of £20m.

And, why at 27 has he 'suddenly' become the must have player?

If ever evidence was needed as to how far up its own arse football has become then think of how a player who 6/12 months ago no one had heard of is now the supposed hottest property in football today worth in excess of £20m.

And, why at 27 has he 'suddenly' become the must have player?

Yep he's doubled his "value" in under 6 months with a couple of Euro games, it's mad.

Slowly but surely the game will be taken away from the people and become another product.

Is it not that already?

Not quite there will be pockets of resistance SJP might be the Jedi last stand. :lol:

it is already.

Clubs like ours are instances with a very strong local identity and reasonable european following, that in an ideal world should at some point be owned or part owned by the support. Bit like Barca.

Spurs rule out move for Arshavin

By Sam Lyon

Andrei Arshavin

Arshavin has openly welcomed the prospect of a move to Spurs

Tottenham have ended their interest in signing Russia playmaker Andrei Arshavin, BBC Sport understands.

His club Zenit St Petersburg had wanted as much as £24m for Arshavin, 27, but even after lowering their asking price, Spurs are now pursuing other targets.

One of those is not, though, Michael Owen, contrary to media reports.

Russia striker Roman Pavlyuchenko was another reported transfer target, but boss Juande Ramos's interest has apparently cooled over recent weeks.

With Dimitar Berbatov likely to leave White Hart Lane before the end of the month, Spurs are keen to bring in a new forward capable of leading the line in a 4-5-1 formation.

The likes of Villarreal's Diego Forlan, Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz and Diego Milito of Real Zaragoza are thought to be under consideration, but newspaper links to Sevilla's Fredi Kanoute are wide of the mark. :shades:

Spurs lost their opening league game of the season at Middlesbrough on Saturday, with striker Darren Bent unable to replicate the impressive form he has shown in pre-season friendlies.

And with Berbatov continually being linked with Manchester United and Irishman Robbie Keane already sold to Liverpool for £20.3m, Spurs are keen to make a move in the market as early as next week.

Arshavin, so impressive in Russia's run to the Euro 2008 semi-finals, was thought to be an ideal replacement for Keane, and spoke recently of his desire to join the Londoners.

"When Tottenham made their offer, I was sceptical at first," Arshavin said. "But after Spurs boss Juande Ramos called me personally and told me that he wanted me in his side, the situation changed and I agreed in principle to join them."

Arshavin's agent Dennis Lachter also told BBC Sport: "It is my prediction that Arshavin is going to be a Tottenham player this season."

However, as with Barcelona earlier in the summer, Spurs appear to have been put off a deal for the Zenit forward.

Edited by The Fish

Still think we should be in here, he's a mercenary if there ever was one and he wouldn't score all that high on the magness ratings ( :shades:) but quality player. We shouldn't just spend silly money but I think we should make an approach and see what kind of price Zenit will negotiate down to now that another suitor has apparently been priced out.

Just my thoughts.