Manchester United 1-1 Newcastle United

Happy Face

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney will spearhead their attack as they begin the defence of their title.

He has recovered from a virus, but Nani is suspended and Cristiano Ronaldo injured, so Michael Carrick may start.

Newcastle have included new Argentine defender Fabricio Coloccini, but Joey Barton has not been considered.

Skipper Michael Owen, Mark Viduka and Andy Carroll are all injured and Shola Ameobi is talking to Ipswich, but Obafemi Martins is set to feature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, R Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, O'Shea, Evans, Evra, Silvestre, F Da Silva, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Possebon, Giggs, Martin, Tevez, Rooney, Campbell.

Newcastle (from): Given, Beye, N'Zogbia, Taylor, Coloccini, Enrique, Cacapa, Bassong, Edgar, Butt, Geremi, Milner, Duff, Guthrie, Gutierrez, Martins, Smith, Edgar, Harper.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Manchester United begin the challenge for a record 11th Premier League title. A second hat-trick of such titles would see Sir Alex Ferguson's Red Devils crowned champions of England for the 18th time, and put them on a par with Liverpool's 18-year-old record.

Newcastle last won the league championship in 1927, and have not claimed a major piece of silverware for 39 years, since the European Fairs Cup in 1969.

Manchester United ran riot against Newcastle last season. Cristiano Ronaldo scored his first hat-trick for the club as they won this corresponding fixture 6-0, three days after the Magpies had parted company with Sam Allardyce, and four days before the arrival of Kevin Keegan.

The Red Devils went on to complete the 'double' over the Magpies with an 11-1 aggregate.

Distance between clubs: 152.9 miles (246 kilometres)

MANCHESTER UNITED

Last season's finishing position: 1st, two points clear

1. One of 10 founder members of the Premier League competing this season.

2. One of seven ever-presents competing in their 17th Premier League campaign. The others are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool and Tottenham.

3. Never finished outside the Premier League's top three.

4. Last week's Community Shield was the 30th piece of silverware United have claimed in the tenure of Sir Alex Ferguson, which this season moves into its 23rd year.

5. Starting the Premier League campaign at home for the third season running.

6. Held at home to a goalless draw by Reading on the opening day 12 months ago, and failed to win their first three matches, before building an eight-match winning sequence.

7. Lost on the opening day only once in 12 years; that being 1-0, away to Chelsea on 15 August 2004, which was Jose Mourinho's first match in charge of the Blues.

8. Challenging for a sixth successive home league win. Not dropped a point at Old Trafford since the 1-2 loss to Manchester City on 10 February.

9. Not brought in any players during the close season.

Cristiano RONALDO was Manchester United's top scorer last season with 42 goals.

The Portuguese also won the Barclays Golden Boot as the Premier League' top marksman with 31. He is one of only five different players to score 30 or more goals in a Premier League campaign.

If selected:-

Goalkeeper Edwin VAN DER SAR will be making his 100th Premier League appearance for Manchester United.

Mikael SILVESTRE will be making his 250th Premier League appearance for Manchester United.

If on the field from the outset:-

Gary NEVILLE will be making his 350th Premier League start for Manchester United.

Michael CARRICK will be making his 250th career league start (West Ham, Swindon, Birmingham, Tottenham and Manchester United).

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Last season's finishing position: 12th

1. This is their 79th season in the top tier, but only their 16th in succession.

2. Twice Premier League runners-up, in 1995-96 and 1996-97, but outside the top 11 for the last two seasons, and only managed one top-half finish in the last four years.

3. Gained 43 points last season, equalling their lowest ever tally in this league of the year before.

4. Average Premier League finish: 8th (7.93)

5. Beat Wigan and Bolton respectively in their last two opening fixtures in the Premier League seasons.

6. Won 25% of their league games in Keegan's current spell (four of 16).

Michael OWEN was Newcastle's top scorer last season with 13 goals, and leading Premier League marksman with 11.

Alan SMITH will be facing former colleagues. The 27 year old England international forward made 93 appearances (61 in the league) and scored 12 goals (seven league) for the Red Devils between May 2004 and his move to Newcastle in August 2007.

HEAD TO HEAD

Manchester United are vying for a fifth successive home league win over Newcastle.

The Magpies have never won a Premier League match at Old Trafford. Their last maximum there was 36 years ago; a 0-2 top-flight triumph on 12 February 1972.

The Toon have not celebrated a victory against the champions in 13 Premier League meetings, since an odd goal in seven victory at St James' Park on 15 September 2001.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Man United 68 wins, Newcastle 38, Draws 34

Prem: Man United 18 wins, Newcastle 3, Draws 9

at Man Utd only

League (inc PL): Man United 43 wins, Newcastle 9, Draws 18

Prem: Man United 10 wins, Newcastle 0, Draws 5

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Manchester United 6-0 Newcastle United

12 January 2008 - Ref: Rob Styles

Man Utd scorers: Ronaldo 49, Tevez 55, Ronaldo 70, Ferdinand 85, Ronaldo 88, Tevez 90

Sent Off: Smith (Newcastle) 90

REFEREE

Mike Riley (Leeds, Yorkshire)

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going to get fucking mullered.

I dont expect to win, but I do think we'll give a better show of ourselves than last time.

I really can't wait to hear those knackers sing 'Cheer Up Kevin Keegan' once again.

Would be quality to ram the "Hello....Hello....Keegan is back! Keegan is back!" chant that they were doing at SJP back down their throat, but unlikely to get the chance sadly.

I really can't wait to hear those knackers sing 'Cheer Up Kevin Keegan' once again.

:lol:

I often say, Man Utd as a team are there to be admired. The supporters I have down as the worst bunch Ive had the displeasure of meeting. Each and every one a tosser to the man. They have a rep of being arrogant wankers and Ive yet to meet one to convince me otherwise. At least with the Mackems its local rivalry but this lot? ...

I need a cuppa...

I often say, Man Utd as a team are there to be admired. The supporters I have down as the worst bunch Ive had the displeasure of meeting. Each and every one a tosser to the man. They have a rep of being arrogant wankers and Ive yet to meet one to convince me otherwise. At least with the Mackems its local rivalry but this lot? ...

I need a cuppa...

Too true, even over here they are arrogant tossers.

Neville is the weakest link, hope we can make it count.

Guest Stevie

I need a cuppa...

Too true, even over here they are arrogant tossers.

Neville is the weakest link, hope we can make it count.

Man Utd fans are wanks, but Liverpool's are worse.

I have a positive feeling about Sunday, which will probably mean we'll lose respectably.

I wonder what Nicky Butt would do if he got a last minute winner.

This fixture is really troubling... I love opening day weekend, it's great. But like in 2000 it's ruined by having to play the champions away :lol:

... at the same time it's probably best to just get it out of the way and all that bla bla bla

at least we're getting the trips to old trafford and the emirates out of the way early doors, when we traditionally do poorly. i'd rather get these two defeats out of the way early on while we're struggling to get out of the traps then start our charge up the table in september.

there's your straws....clutching at them.

at least we're getting the trips to old trafford and the emirates out of the way early doors, when we traditionally do poorly. i'd rather get these two defeats out of the way early on while we're struggling to get out of the traps then start our charge up the table in september.

there's your straws....clutching at them.

Clutching the same straws myself. I'm treating the trips to Old Trafford and The Emirates as good match practice before we start our surge (ahem) up the table!

Like Stevie said elsewhere, it's a respectable defeat on the cards. I want them to play with heart, play like they want to win, play like Keegan had us playing in our pomp... do that and I'll stomach a couple of goals difference and the taunts of the resident Man U fans.