Right Back

Guest Stevie

Guest Stevie

Most of you on here have only been supporting the toon as long as I have, apart from the odd person like BobbyS, Steve and Rob W(he comes across as an old cunt anyway), and in all that time have we ever really had a good defence, especially at right back. In the 80's we had John Anderson, who despite attaining a half century of caps for his country, despite the fact I know him and he's a good bloke, had many deficiencies. He was slow, cumbersome and often got raped down the right side. I remember a roasting he got at right back off a Millwall winger one time which you almost felt he needed putting down it was that bad. Neil McDonald could be tremendous going forward, I always felt his best position was right midfield, he didn't he fancied himself as a right back, which is ultimately one of the reasons he went to Everton, but again he was not a class player, we would never win anything with "Spotty".

Ray Ranson came in and the truth of the matter is he was basically finished when we had him, in my opinion I'm not sure if he likes NUFC as a club, I remember him saying a few times "most clubs get booed off when they get beat, we used to get booed on at the start of the game!" which coincided with another finished player signing Kenny Sansom, who was a pale shadow of the top class left back who won 80 England caps.

Stevie Watson in the dark years and in to the light did an admirable job at right back, as did Barry Venison, Hottiger wasn't bad neither, not great but a steady schemer who took his defensive responsilities seriously, and he left us with that nice memory at Ewood Park.

When you see a lot of people writing the best toon eleven, they have ever seen, the name Warren Barton often comes in at right back. I remember we played Wimbledon, Keith Gillespie's debut, and Barton's performance that night, was easily in the top 5 I've ever seen from an opposition player at SJP, he was top class. Yet as soon as he came he was shite for a long long time. His debut against Coventry was poor, we were playing some magnificent stuff, Ginola to Lee, to Beardsley, to Les back to Lee, across to Barton...oh dear. It looked like he was still playing for Wimbledon, long hopeful punted balls. It took Barton at least 2 seasons before he found good form and was accepted, but he played through it, and he knew a lot of toon fans didn't like him. I now look back at Barton with fond memories, his love for the club was up there with anyone, his pride in the fact he played for NUFC could teach many a few lessons, his desire, his willingness to improve and his attitude were all second to none, but I'm not having it that he was a great Newcastle right back, he wasn't, he was a good servant, but I maintain he wasn't a great player.

Since then we've had the likes of Griffin and Aaron Hughes, who weren't bad. Aaron Hughes used to infuriate me, because in terms of defending at right back, I thought he was great, which can't be something you could say about a lot of toon right backs, but...the bit a lot of the other had, he didn't, it used to do my head in him marauding up the right wing, because you knew every single time a shit cross was coming in.

Of course Steven Carr came next and the less said about that particular chubby paddy the better,

Which leads me to Habib Beye. In all my years watching the toon, and you miight think this is premature considering he's played less than 30 times for us, but honestly he is the best player we've had in that position. He rarely gets caught out positionally, he is technically excellent, tackles well, wins headers, he's not slow, he can cross, his passing is good, and that sublime chip for Owen's goal last season, if Zico does that at a World Cup, people are making youtube videos of it 30 years later, thinking of no one in particular. The first time I saw Beye was against Marseille at SJP, he was different class, but then so were all of their defence that night, he's came here and adapted to English football like a duck to water. With so many negative threads about us kicking around I thought I'd try and be positive as the season comes upon us. Beye is definitely a positive better than anyone we've ever had in that position, certainly in my time watching the toon.

That's not all, many of us have seen glimpses of Coloccini, he is the real deal, absolutely no question, I'm sure his style will be perfect for English football, and I personally don't care how dirty he is, as long as he doesn't give too many pens and free kicks away, can't be anymore than Smith anyway. On the left side we have Enrique, many people don't like him, but he's at the right age, when Keegan restored his confidence, he looked assured, solid, a genuinely good asset at left back, and at 22 there's absolutely no reason at all why he can't go on to be the best left back we've had. Taylor may come on alongside Coloccini, there's Bassong who could be a good prospect, and with Faye going I'm taking it as given another decent centre half will come in. So the defence, if we can steer clear of injuries could well be as solid as it's been for a long time. Andy O'Brien wouldn't get in our current defence, nor would Griffin, nor Bramble, nor Hughes, nor Darren Peacock, nor Barton and these are players who were there when we came second, third and fourth. So howay, less than 40 conceded this season, fuckin lots to be positive about, and one of the most positive things is Beye and the fact we haven't signed Michael Dawson. Howay The Toon.

"Cheers"

Good post stevie. most of our right backs have been good footballers but average defenders. Beye would seem to be slightly different. he does both quite well....

as for taylor, Ih ave never rated him and i have to be honest and say of the 4 starting defenders he is the one to make the most mistakes. hopefully with age and experience that will diminish, but i have my doubts.

I think Beye was the best right-back in the Premiership last season, though that may be because I saw more of him. Regardless, he was superb and very consistent also. The only bad thing I saw him do was getting skinned by Ronaldo at SJP for Rooney's first goal and that's hardly something to be ashamed of. I agree we should concede less than 40 goals this season, however we should also let Bassong and Collocini adapt. That said, they look the sort who should handle the league. I also quite like Edgar, who has never had a bad game when called upon, and has played well at right-back also in pre-season.

I think Taylor will come along playing along side coloccini (as long as he takes to the league)

Taylor's not a bad defender and when your that inexperienced you need someone beside ya to bark orders and show you the ropes a bit

considering he's had the likes of bramble boumsong and co as his defensive partner... he's done alright lol

He's played well over a 100 games for us man. So that's definitely not inexperience.

Although next no doubt you will come at me with well look who he has had to play alongside. :shades:

"Cheers"

:shades:

Venison, for me, had that touch of class about him even though he was past his peak. He was very, very important to us in that era and it's a real shame he fell out with KK for breaking that curfew.

i agree, and some of Barrys jackets!!!OMFG they were rank

"Cheers"

Venison, for me, had that touch of class about him even though he was past his peak. He was very, very important to us in that era and it's a real shame he fell out with KK for breaking that curfew.

i agree, and some of Barrys jackets!!!OMFG they were rank

Some of Keegan's were just as bad mind.

true true, the old wool red jacket!! i bought one for a cricket dinner off the back of KK wearing one at the time, i still have it!!

true true, the old wool red jacket!! i bought one for a cricket dinner off the back of KK wearing one at the time, i still have it!!

Fucking hell. :shades:

"Cheers"

Didn't he made that magnificent clearence off the line against West Ham or someone?

Nice post that. I like John Anderson because he was a 100 %-er. Spot on about Ranson and Sansom being past their sell-by date too. Hottiger was a good player who fitted into KK's system well. Canny going forward and pacy too. Shame Watto left when he did. As for Barton he was amazing the season we signed him. For Wimbledon that is. Did well when he first arrived but he was never the same after that clanger away to Arsenal imo.

Good post mate - agree with the points you make.

I know he only played there a handfull of times for us but on the few occations he did I really like Nobby at right back

Not the best in the league but could read the game with the rest of them and that enhanced his qualitys in that position

Would liked to have seen more of him in that position to see how it would have worked out

Good post mate - agree with the points you make.

I know he only played there a handfull of times for us but on the few occations he did I really like Nobby at right back

Not the best in the league but could read the game with the rest of them and that enhanced his qualitys in that position

Would liked to have seen more of him in that position to see how it would have worked out

Never saw him getting taking to the cleaners despite his lack of pace. Even against C. Ronaldo. A big strong physical player would murder him though.

Venison was class as well when he went into midfield iirc.

He was, won his England caps there I think.

Thought he could play a bit after his cap though, for about half a dozen games anyway. Was quality as a CB/sweeper too.

Top OP.

I'd only add that while the players are certainly capable, I'd be concerned to see if Keegan and his backroom staff form a unit that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

I've been watching us since we got promoted with Keegan as a player and i have to agree that Beye could end up being the best RB i've had the pleasure of seeing play for us, but for now i'm still going with Venison as the best ive seen due to him playign for a few seasons against Beye's one season.

Also agree with people that Venison was class in the middle of the park for us as well, just a typically great KK signing all round really. And despite it being Allardyce who picked him i think Beye looks exactly like a Keegan player to me.