Toon fail in Ruud bid

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE have failed in a sensational bid for Ruud van Nistelrooy — but are intent on pulling off an equally stunning signing in the next fortnight.

Kevin Keegan last night admitted he hopes to bring in FOUR more players before the transfer window closes on August 31.

United owner Mike Ashley is hellbent on one of them being a superstar capable of boosting flagging ticket sales at St James’s Park.

And sources in Spain last night confirmed that Newcastle approached both Van Nistelrooy and Real Madrid in an attempt to land the Dutch striker following the Euro 2008 finals.

But with their recruitment duo of Jeff Vetere and Tony Jimenez being told that there was no chance of a deal, Newcastle became one of five clubs in England and Italy to make a thwarted approach for Van Nistelrooy this summer.

However, Ashley and Keegan are still aiming high, with Van Nistelrooy’s Madrid team-mate Javier Saviola on their radar.

And Newcastle have also made an approach for yet another Argentinian — Real Mallorca striker Oscar Trejo.

West Brom maintain hopes of landing Trejo, 20, as well as his club-mate Borja Valero.

But Mallorca’s sporting director Nando Pons said: “Newcastle have contacted directly with us and the answer is the same one we gave to West Bromwich Albion: we will not sell.”

Keegan, on the eve of his side’s Premier League opener at Manchester United, said: “I think we will get at least two more signings here, maybe three and, who knows, possibly four.”

NEWCASTLE have failed in a sensational bid for Ruud van Nistelrooy — but are intent on pulling off an equally stunning signing in the next fortnight.

Kevin Keegan last night admitted he hopes to bring in FOUR more players before the transfer window closes on August 31.

United owner Mike Ashley is hellbent on one of them being a superstar capable of boosting flagging ticket sales at St James’s Park.

And sources in Spain last night confirmed that Newcastle approached both Van Nistelrooy and Real Madrid in an attempt to land the Dutch striker following the Euro 2008 finals.

But with their recruitment duo of Jeff Vetere and Tony Jimenez being told that there was no chance of a deal, Newcastle became one of five clubs in England and Italy to make a thwarted approach for Van Nistelrooy this summer.

However, Ashley and Keegan are still aiming high, with Van Nistelrooy’s Madrid team-mate Javier Saviola on their radar.

And Newcastle have also made an approach for yet another Argentinian — Real Mallorca striker Oscar Trejo.

West Brom maintain hopes of landing Trejo, 20, as well as his club-mate Borja Valero.

But Mallorca’s sporting director Nando Pons said: “Newcastle have contacted directly with us and the answer is the same one we gave to West Bromwich Albion: we will not sell.”

Keegan, on the eve of his side’s Premier League opener at Manchester United, said: “I think we will get at least two more signings here, maybe three and, who knows, possibly four.”

If we'd have got these signings done in pre-season we may well have beaten ManU.

i hate that cheating dutch cunt.

good player mind you...

i wouldnt really say hes a cheat.

i swear he dived a fair bit at united?

id say he dived some of the time but i wouldnt say he dives constantly like gerrard, ronaldo, messi, etc.

good player mind you...

id say he dived some of the time but i wouldnt say he dives constantly like gerrard, ronaldo, messi, etc.

Messi rarely dives tbf.

good player mind you...

Messi rarely dives tbf.

ok he just tries to handball the ball into the net all the time

good player mind you...

Messi rarely dives tbf.

All of the time? Ok you're not exaggerating.

good player mind you...

Messi rarely dives tbf.

I seen him do it twice last season and i only watched about 5 or 6 of barcas league games. Trying to score a goal with your hand is blatant cheating and players should never attempt to do it.

good player mind you...

Messi rarely dives tbf.

I seen him do it twice last season and i only watched about 5 or 6 of barcas league games. Trying to score a goal with your hand is blatant cheating and players should never attempt to do it.

So it wasn't all the time? I thought not.

good player mind you...

Messi rarely dives tbf.

Or, for a change, you could just admit you were talking shit.

good player mind you...

Messi rarely dives tbf.

Talking shit? Messi is probably the biggest cheat in football. He does dive alot and on top of that trying to score goals with his hands makes him a cheating scumbag

Talking shit? Messi is probably the biggest cheat in football. He does dive alot and on top of that trying to score goals with his hands makes him a cheating scumbag

:shades:

behave yourself man. :good:

good player mind you...

Messi rarely dives tbf.

Ok, you've convinced me.

who is more of a cheat then?

Off the top of my head? I'd say that Gerrard goes down softer, calls for more cards and fouls more than Messi. But I'm sure there'll be a player who is more of an embarrassment to the sport than Wor Stevie G.

I think you've boxed yourself into a corner and are now substituting rational thinking for fervour. Hence my "behave yourself" comment.

Off the top of my head? I'd say that Gerrard goes down softer, calls for more cards and fouls more than Messi. But I'm sure there'll be a player who is more of an embarrassment to the sport than Wor Stevie G.

I think you've boxed yourself into a corner and are now substituting rational thinking for fervour. Hence my "behave yourself" comment.

how have i boxed myself into a corner? trying to score a goal with your hand is worse than diving as diving has more or less become part of the game as more or less every player does it and get away with it