Exams- Anyone worried about them?

Flair

The exams are getting easier, even the thick girls going 'like' every two words, are getting C's. I am all in favour of the A** boundary. I hope they bring it in before next year because I certainly don't want to get compared to the current set of dross.

I just looked through a mock GCSE higher paper for my degree subject and though I'd probably pass, I know I'd drop a load of points without going back and reading up on some stuff.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...mockh2_calc.pdf

Mostly because it's been ten years or so since I finished, but still, it's not exactly a piece of piss.

I think the difference is, a pass was only 3 grades previously (A-C), now it's 4 and people are advocating 5. I genuinely think kids are able to grasp more than they could previously, and it's just shifting everyone up the grades based on similarly difficult exams. Rather than add new top tier grades, they really need to re-address the scale of the existing A-E to ensure that the best people get A-C.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The exams are getting easier, even the thick girls going 'like' every two words, are getting C's. I am all in favour of the A** boundary. I hope they bring it in before next year because I certainly don't want to get compared to the current set of dross.

I just looked through a mock GCSE higher paper for my degree subject and though I'd probably pass, I know I'd drop a load of points without going back and reading up on some stuff.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...mockh2_calc.pdf

Mostly because it's been ten years or so since I finished, but still, it's not exactly a piece of piss.

I think the difference is, a pass was only 3 grades previously (A-C), now it's 4 and people are advocating 5. I genuinely think kids are able to grasp more than they could previously, and it's just shifting everyone up the grades based on similarly difficult exams. Rather than add new top tier grades, they really need to re-address the scale of the existing A-E to ensure that the best people get A-C.

Political suicide though, for the first couple of years anyway.

Only thing they might do is move away from a banded system altogether (or change the face of it enough that they can claim it is not directly comparable).

There's much more pressure in A Levels though, due to greater acceptance of non-UK qualifications (which is where today's student can really lose out) as a route into jobs or University.

Political suicide though, for the first couple of years anyway.

Only thing they might do is move away from a banded system altogether (or change the face of it enough that they can claim it is not directly comparable).

There's much more pressure in A Levels though, due to greater acceptance of non-UK qualifications (which is where today's student can really lose out) as a route into jobs or University.

I'm not so sure. When it's leading to the majority of people refusing to do manual labour which leaves all those jobs to immigrants while there's an ever growing cost to social services (as those jobs are seen as below both dropouts AND those with a worthless degree), you could sell a plan to undo Labours notion of EVERYONE going to University.

The exams are getting easier, even the thick girls going 'like' every two words, are getting C's. I am all in favour of the A** boundary. I hope they bring it in before next year because I certainly don't want to get compared to the current set of dross. Add to this, I finished the Maths higher level paper in 10minutes and had to sit around for 1hour and 50mins which is quite rediculous and the IT in 40mins which is also 2hours long.

Found the English paper a bit tougher did you?

Each year teaching will improve because they've seen more and more previous papers, and people come up with better and better methods for doing stuff.

When I did my history gcse (changed the papers now I think), and my AS level RE paper,every possible topic and question had been brought up - so teachers could just give people a list of all the questions ever released, and there owuld be a 100% chance the person had previously seen the question.

Same applies in all subjects, there are only so many questions that can be brought up.

Edit : that said if you want to do really well you still haev to work hard.

I dossed my gcses and still got off pretty well, nothing lower than a B - but I know I could of done a whole lot better had i put the effort in

Edited by JonGoodwyn

Each year teaching will improve because they've seen more and more previous papers, and people come up with better and better methods for doing stuff.

When I did my history gcse (changed the papers now I think), and my AS level RE paper,every possible topic and question had been brought up - so teachers could just give people a list of all the questions ever released, and there owuld be a 100% chance the person had previously seen the question.

Same applies in all subjects, there are only so many questions that can be brought up.

If that were true (and teaching to test is part of it no doubt) you would eventually hit a wall, especially in subjects like Maths.

What grades did you get in your GCSEs then Attain, seeing as you're so smart?

Got my first two back yesterday which I did one year early, got A* for IT and Maths.

Edited by Attain

The exams are getting easier, even the thick girls going 'like' every two words, are getting C's. I am all in favour of the A** boundary. I hope they bring it in before next year because I certainly don't want to get compared to the current set of dross. Add to this, I finished the Maths higher level paper in 10minutes and had to sit around for 1hour and 50mins which is quite rediculous and the IT in 40mins which is also 2hours long.

I was in a bit of a rush....... Ridiculous if you must.......

That said, I speak 4 languages and write 3 fluently.

Edited by Attain

I finished the Maths higher level paper in 10minutes and had to sit around for 1hour and 50mins which is quite rediculous

:huh::lol: As if you did.

I was good at Maths and got an A* (albeit about 8 years ago :( ) and I see your point but that's a blatant lie.. :(

You talk shite and English, what is the other?

What grades did you get in your GCSEs then Attain, seeing as you're so smart?

Got my first two back yesterday which I did one year early, got A* for IT and Maths.

Well done. Don't assume they're all going to be that easy just because those were. And if they are easy, maybe you're just clever.

That said, these are GCSEs after all.

I finished the Maths higher level paper in 10minutes and had to sit around for 1hour and 50mins which is quite rediculous

I was good at Maths and got an A* (albeit about 8 years ago :( ) and I see your point but that's a blatant lie.. :(

One of the lads at work had to sit an exam to see if he could get this promotion. He never had a clue so just wrote on it 'I am a fish.'

:jonas:

You talk shite and English, what is the other?

Its called wummery language, my 3rd one.

I already covered that with shite. You've got to be funny to be a WUM.

:lol::( As if you did.

I was good at Maths and got an A* (albeit about 8 years ago :( ) and I see your point but that's a blatant lie.. :jonas:

Ok that was over-exaggeration :huh:. It was more like 1hour and 10mins.

I get my first result next week in GCSE I.T. I am so scared i mucked it up and end up getting an A. Anyone else feeling scared at the moment?

you fucked up

Regards

Your Assessor

:lol::( As if you did.

I was good at Maths and got an A* (albeit about 8 years ago :( ) and I see your point but that's a blatant lie.. :jonas:

Ok that was over-exaggeration :huh:. It was more like 1hour and 10mins.

A little bit of honesty is all I ask. :jonas:

I get my first result next week in GCSE I.T. I am so scared i mucked it up and end up getting an A. Anyone else feeling scared at the moment?

you fucked up

Regards

Your Assessor

Greatful for that contribution.

Regards,

Attain (the one you attain to be)

you fucked up

Regards

Your Assessor

Regards,

I've attained pretty much most of what I wanted thanks

Regards

Achieved

you fucked up

Regards

Your Assessor

Regards,

Regards

Achieved

Why stop there?

Regards,

Attain (some more)

you fucked up

Regards

Your Assessor

Regards,

Regards

Achieved

Why stop there?

Regards,

Attain (some more)

where ?

Regards

Night Owl

One of the lads at work had to sit an exam to see if he could get this promotion. He never had a clue so just wrote on it 'I am a fish.'

Best one was my friend got asked in the Biology paper what Iron was, he replied it's a metal.

Best one was my friend got asked in the Biology paper what Iron was, he replied it's a metal.

Is the punchline still to come?