Fab twosome

The Fish

Keegan hails defensive duo

Newcastle boss wants long-term partnership

Last updated: 18th August 2008

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan is eager to build the club's defence around Steven Taylor and Fabricio Coloccini for the next five years.

The Magpies are well aware of Taylor's talents, while Coloccini was handed his debut in the unforgiving surroundings of Old Trafford.

The duo were hugely impressive in the 1-1 draw with Manchester United, with the Premier League champions only finding a way through when Taylor was off the field receiving treatment for an injury.

And Keegan said: "That could be our central defensive partnership for the next five years.

"They are both signed for that length of time, so now it is up to them.

"Yesterday was the first time they have played together and there are signs today that it could be quite a good partnership which may get even better."

Fitness

Argentina international Coloccini only began training with his new team-mates on Saturday after his £9million move from Deportivo La Coruna, but slotted seamlessly into the side.

Keegan added: "I was not concerned about the fitness side but because we did not get the registration through until Friday he could not train with the group.

"But when I saw him train with the team on Saturday I knew he would love going to Old Trafford. He wanted to play. That was it."

Keegan is also anticipating some of Coloccini's experience will rub off on Taylor, allowing the defender to make the transition from England Under-21 duty to Fabio Capello's senior squad.

Attitude

"I have told Steven to watch and learn," said Keegan. "I am sure he will because he has such a great attitude.

"He got a bad knock when we scored that would have seen a lot of players come off, but not Steven.

"If he does what we ask, he will make another step up and go from the Under-21s to where Coloccini is. The key is he wants to learn because some young players don't."

Can Bassong not play left back?

Yes, he is essentially a centre back but played left back a few times last season...i think he is a good back up player, just may need a littlemore time to adjust.

Still would be going for taiwo or warnock though imo.

Yes, he is essentially a centre back but played left back a few times last season...i think he is a good back up player, just may need a littlemore time to adjust.

I reckon he'll turn out to be better than Taylor.

I dunno about that like, as i see taylor becoming our John Terry i think bassong can become our Gallas B)

I dunno about that like, as i see taylor becoming our John Terry i think bassong can become our Gallas :icon_lol:

Thems some high hopes! B)

I dunno about that like, as i see taylor becoming our John Terry i think bassong can become our Gallas :icon_lol:

Thems some high hopes! B)

Maybe, maybe not :icon_lol:

The thing i really liked about Coloccini once he'd settled in was the Woodgate style defending of anticipating where he needed to eb before it happened, so 2nd half on more than one occasions he just strode in took the ball and their players ended up having to foul him and give us a freekick. For a guy to have played no games pre season for us and start against Manu at Old Trafford as well as he did is really looking good.

And i hope Taylor does watch and learn from the guy and that they do form a long term partnership at the back.

The thing i really liked about Coloccini once he'd settled in was the Woodgate style defending of anticipating where he needed to eb before it happened, so 2nd half on more than one occasions he just strode in took the ball and their players ended up having to foul him and give us a freekick. For a guy to have played no games pre season for us and start against Manu at Old Trafford as well as he did is really looking good.

And i hope Taylor does watch and learn from the guy and that they do form a long term partnership at the back.

Aye, Collo was immense and as you say a natural reader of the game.

Colo could be just what Taylor need's as mentioned by numerous other's. After the odd shaky moment in the 1st half, i was impressed with his 2nd half, where he didn't put a foot wrong. long may this continue....

I've never been Taylor's number one fan, but now Faye has gone I can see the benefit of having a settled partnership.

If KK thinks it's Colo at Taylor, that's fine my me. Hopefully Taylor can cut out the theatrics and knuckle down to be coming a no-nonsense centre half.