Keano plans £15million hat-trick

Scottish Mag

ROY KEANE is planning a £15million triple swoop for Anton Ferdinand, Benni McCarthy and Michael Ball.

Sunderland manager Keano is waiting to hear if West Ham defender Ferdinand fancies a move to Wearside after Hammers boss Alan Curbishley accepted an £8m bid.

Former England Under-21 star Ferdinand, 23, is considering his options and will give Sunderland an answer within the next 48 hours. But Keane is hopeful of landing his man.

And the Black Cats chief is also working hard to bring in Blackburn ace McCarthy.

Keane will offer £6m for the South African striker, 30, after having an initial £5m bid rejected on Friday.

He has spoken to both players, while also asking about Manchester City’s £1m-rated Ball, 29 and Manchester United left-back Mikael Silvestre, 31.

If Keane manages to seal the treble swoop it will take his spending since landing promotion two seasons ago to a whopping £70MILLION.

But skipper Dean Whitehead, 26, could be heading out of the Stadium of Light with Fulham, Middlesbrough and Stoke all interested in the midfielder.

Hell of a lot of money of average players there. I can see the logic in doing it to ensure survival etc. but if they do want to go the the next stage as it were they'll need to replace virtually the whole team. Worry about that further down the line I suppose.

Hell of a lot of money of average players there. I can see the logic in doing it to ensure survival etc. but if they do want to go the the next stage as it were they'll need to replace virtually the whole team. Worry about that further down the line I suppose.

They'll find that the players on silly money won't want to leave, funnily enough they've been telling us for years that throwing massive wages at mediocre players is the wrong thing to do. What's the betting that now it's 100% the right way to go about things

That would be 70 million in the last 14 months and even the season Keane took over they spent around 12 million I think?

Fair enough it may make them a premiership side good enough to escape relegation but whilst Malbranque, Chimbonda, Benni etc ate decent players they are all on the wrong side of 20 and alot of the rest of the squad are average Championship players. They may get the financial gain from ensuring their place in the premiership but it doesn't look to me that they are building a team for the long term meaning the spending will have to continue...

It's like Keegan was saying on Friday though. If you want to make the step up following promotion, you have to build a team you hope you'll be disassembling as soon as possible.

Keane's problem is he's tried gambling on unproven youth, and now he's gambling on experienced premier league quality that never quite hit the heights at their previous clubs. Not the heights he needs to to be able to start the next stage of Quinny's secong biggest club plan anyway.

If they don't start moving up the league they're throwing money away when the likes of Bolton survive year after year on a fraction of the cost.

That would be 70 million in the last 14 months and even the season Keane took over they spent around 12 million I think?

It kind of dispels the myth that we are the only club who spend a lot and win fuck all.

Fair enough we have still spent more than them on shite but surely after £70m in 14 months they can't say a thing.

It kind of dispels the myth that we are the only club who spend a lot and win fuck all.

Fair enough we have still spent more than them on shite but surely after £70m in 14 months they can't say a thing.

I'm not sure there isn't any aspect of NUFC that isn't surrounded by myth, nor will anything change it (like our defensive record).

Do Sunderland have the backing for this though? I know they have a lot of Irish money behind them, but £70m + wages must soon add up.

I'm not sure there isn't any aspect of NUFC that isn't surrounded by myth, nor will anything change it (like our defensive record).

Do Sunderland have the backing for this though? I know they have a lot of Irish money behind them, but £70m + wages must soon add up.

The only people on the board who have a real connection with the club are Quinn (Bugger all money) and that fella who owns Hay's Travel (small amount compared to the others). The others needed to have their balls tickled by Quinn to join the consortium and may well fuck off if success doesn't follow.

The only people on the board who have a real connection with the club are Quinn (Bugger all money) and that fella who owns Hay's Travel (small amount compared to the others). The others needed to have their balls tickled by Quinn to join the consortium and may well fuck off if success doesn't follow.

Well apparently - regarding finance - if they get relegated they are well fucked as it doesn't exactly fit in with their '5 year plan'.

They're turning into us basically.