Tuesday's gossip

Tom

Rennes' Cameroon midfielder Stephane Mbia, 22, has said he is desperate to complete a move to Everton now he has returned from the Olympic Games in Beijing. (Press Association, 1050 BST)

TRANSFER RUMOURS

AC Milan are willing to sell Brazilian playmaker Kaka to Chelsea for £70m - but Blues manager Luiz Felipe Scolari would prefer to sign Real Madrid forward Robinho. (Daily Star)

England striker Michael Owen has been offered a three-year contract worth £140,000 a week to stay at Newcastle. (The Sun)

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp is hoping he can persuade Chelsea to let midfielder Shaun Wright-Phillips join the south-coast club on a season-long loan deal. (Daily Star)

Redknapp is looking to bolster his Portsmouth squad with loan signings and has confirmed his interest in Lens left-back Nadir Belhadi. (The Independent)

Sunderland are in preliminary talks with West Ham centre-half Anton Ferdinand and are tracking Manchester City's £1m-rated defender Michael Ball. (Daily Star)

But Tottenham are monitoring Ferdinand after the Hammers apparently rejected a £6m bid from the Black Cats. (Daily Mirror)

Zenit St Petersburg have told Tottenham that they will not sell playmaker Andrei Arshavin for less than £20m. (The Times)

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes has put negotiations to buy Manchester United defender Mikael Silvestre on hold because he wants to sign two strikers before the transfer deadline. (Daily Star)

Hull manager Phil Brown will step up his bid to sign Manchester United striker Fraizer Campbell this week, either permanently or on loan, by making another phone call to Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson. (Daily Star)

Liverpool's American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett will block Rafael Benitez's attempts to sign England midfielder Gareth Barry from Aston Villa - even if the Reds manager raises funds by selling fringe players. (Various)

Blackburn boss Paul Ince is chasing Valencia winger Joaquin Sanchez as he tries to find a replacement for David Bentley, who joined Tottenham in July. (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle United have joined West Brom in the race to sign Argentine striker Oscar Trejo from Real Mallorca. (The Times)

The Magpies remain in pursuit of Blackburn's left-back Stephen Warnock and are also hoping to sign Javier Saviola from Real Madrid on a season-long loan. (The Guardian)

James McFadden has ruled out a move to either half of the Old Firm, with the Birmingham City striker saying he has no interest in becoming exposed to the level of scrutiny that surrounds Rangers and Celtic. (The Guardian)

Sheffield United defender Chris Armstrong is set to join Championship rivals Reading for £750,000. (Daily Mirror)

Wolves are in talks with Danny Higginbotham after Sunderland accepted a £1.25m bid for the defender. (Daily Mirror)

Crystal Palace have transfer-listed Paul Ifill and Carl Fletcher in a bid to raise funds to buy a striker. (Daily Mail)

OTHER GOSSIP

Former England captain Tony Adams has urged national manager Fabio Capello to keep John Terry as England skipper rather than appoint Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand. (Daily Star)

Midfielder Tomas Rosicky has stuck the knife into Arsenal team-mates Gael Clichy and William Gallas by telling them that their defensive errors in the 2-2 draw at Birmingham in February cost the Gunners the title. (The Sun)

Stewart Downing believes Fabio Capello has turned the England squad into a meritocracy rather than the closed shop that prevailed under predecessor Steve McClaren. (The Guardian)

Former Celtic striker John Hartson is being lined up for a coaching role with SPL side Hamilton. (Daily Record)

AND FINALLY

Arsene Wenger says he is surprised by Great Britain's gold rush at the Olympic Games. "I didn't know the English were good at swimming," said the Arsenal manager. "I have been in this country for 12 years and I haven't seen a swimming pool." (The Times)

Here's some transfer gossip from your favorite site, ESPNsoccernet. I haven't seen any of it on this site yet so I figured I'd post.

Newcastle are in the same boat, having promised 'quality' signings before the start of the season and ending up with Jonas Gutierrez, Danny Guthrie and Fabricio Coloccini. Keegan wants at least three new arrivals and could yet persuade Dorin Goian, Anton Ferdinand and Greek star Vassilis Torosidis to sign for the Magpies, although more squad depth is needed if the club are to avoid a bottom-half finish. With Michael Owen's injury woes, Keegan may turn to Real Madrid reserve Javier Saviola for goals, but the focus should be on defence, not attack.

bolded #1: Another lazy journo having a go. What a surprise.

bolded #2/3: Anyone seen us linked to these players before?

Here's some transfer gossip from your favorite site, ESPNsoccernet. I haven't seen any of it on this site yet so I figured I'd post.

Newcastle are in the same boat, having promised 'quality' signings before the start of the season and ending up with Jonas Gutierrez, Danny Guthrie and Fabricio Coloccini. Keegan wants at least three new arrivals and could yet persuade Dorin Goian, Anton Ferdinand and Greek star Vassilis Torosidis to sign for the Magpies, although more squad depth is needed if the club are to avoid a bottom-half finish. With Michael Owen's injury woes, Keegan may turn to Real Madrid reserve Javier Saviola for goals, but the focus should be on defence, not attack.

bolded #1: Another lazy journo having a go. What a surprise.

bolded #2/3: Anyone seen us linked to these players before?

That goian was linked to us and the scum a few weeks ago, as far as the greeks concerned iv never heard of him tbf