The problem that is...

Deano

Ok...we have a decent squad, a talented squad, and we need 3 more faces...lets just say we get a LB, AM and a ST, i wonder how we will work it? Who will be dropped and our overall shape.

Imo its a no brainer that if we get a quality LB in ie. Warnock, then he would walk straight into the team, i like the way zoggy and jonas link up but like leazes said elsewhere jonas is not a left winger and is only there to accomodate for zoggys inability to defend.

To me, get warnock in and pair him with zoggy on left, zoggy in his normal advanced role where he thrives and beye and jonas on the right, i personally think we'd have two great pairings on the flanks then.

But theres problem number one, that would mean dropping milner? Would KK do that? i think not...he rates the lad and raves about himbeing the fittest player he's seen, which tbh we'll need in tough away games.

The second problem comes if and when we sign saviola or another AM, we evidently need some craft in the middle and again to me a quality AM would walk straight into the side alongside Guthrie, does that mean we drop Butt? I personally would, yes he grafts, yes he is solid in a tackle but he's lost his legs and tbh gives the ball away far too much, i rather have guthries energy and saviola's craft in the middle.

Dont get me wrong, its a nice problem to have, i just dont know if KK even knows what his ideal 11 is?

If i were him it'd be...

Given

Beye Coloccini Taylor Warnock

Gutierrez Saviola Guthrie N'zogbia

Oba Owen

Is that how everyone else thinks?

Saviola in centre midfield. ;)

And? He's played there quite a bit mate, he is not a striker tbh, and you couldnt play him alonside owen, they are too similar in many sences...Saviola to me is of the aimar mold and could do quite well in midfield.

And? He's played there quite a bit mate, he is not a striker tbh, and you couldnt play him alonside owen, they are too similar in many sences...Saviola to me is of the aimar mold and could do quite well in midfield.

You couldn't play him there in a central 2 in the PL.

Edit: Or Aimar for that matter.

Edited by alex

I'm concerned at how we've swithced back to the 4-4-2 after the success of the 4-3-3 last season. we've had a decent start result wise and the performance at old trafford was impressive, but i wouldn't mind us switching back to the 4-3-3

If i were him it'd be...

Given

Beye Coloccini Taylor Enrique

Gutierrez Butt/Guthrie N'zogbia

Owen

Oba Viduka

Obviously i'd like to see 3 faces in before next monday, but i think we'll definitely get 1, maybe 2. with everyone fit i'd play the above as the front three were quality in that run and that was with butt, barton and geremi behind them!

But whys that though?

Personaly i think if we bring him in he wont be primarily used as a striker...think about it, he's not coming to us to sit on the bench and watch oba and owen up front, he has the craft to play in midfield, but he will be more adnvanced than say fabregas at arsenal...more so dropping off the front two, this not being too disimilar to the 433 formation we seen last year.

But whys that though?

Personaly i think if we bring him in he wont be primarily used as a striker...think about it, he's not coming to us to sit on the bench and watch oba and owen up front, he has the craft to play in midfield, but he will be more adnvanced than say fabregas at arsenal...more so dropping off the front two, this not being too disimilar to the 433 formation we seen last year.

You'd have to play either of them in the 'hole' behind one or two upfront. Or as a second striker, which is more or less the same role anyway. The game would pass them by and we'd be so lightweight if one of those two players were in a midfield two in a 4-4-2. Can hardly believe I'm having to explain this.

I'm concerned at how we've swithced back to the 4-4-2 after the success of the 4-3-3 last season. we've had a decent start result wise and the performance at old trafford was impressive, but i wouldn't mind us switching back to the 4-3-3

I don't think there are enough options up front at the moment to play the 4-3-3, unless you want Shola in the team. ;) I felt that formation relies on Viduka, and without him there's no one big enough to play up front in that role. Viduka playing with his back to the goal and holding the ball up for Owen and Oba to run. Neither Shola nor Smith are good enough to take his place.

I don't think there are enough options up front at the moment to play the 4-3-3, unless you want Shola in the team. ;) I felt that formation relies on Viduka, and without him there's no one big enough to play up front in that role. Viduka playing with his back to the goal and holding the ball up for Owen and Oba to run. Neither Shola nor Smith are good enough to take his place.

Viduka was totally key to playing that formation. :icon_lol:

i know, that's what i meant, if everyone in the squad was fit i'd play the 4-3-3, but only really possible with viduka fit. the reading game at home sticks out in my mind in particular, we oblitarated them with that formation and viduka was at the centre of everything pretty much.

I'd stick to 443 or 352 personally, both can easily be switched to attack or defence and should accomodate our squad better.

443 is the wining solution. 444 would be even better, but may require Mike Ashley and Kevin Keegan to dress in drag for a big enough distraction.

NUFC

First team (18):

Shay Given

Steve Harper

Habib Beye Steven Taylor Fabricio Coloccini José Enrique

Sebastien Bassong Claudio Caçapa

Jonas Gutierrez Nicky Butt Danny Guthrie Charles N’Zogbia

Geremi Njitap Joey Barton Damien Duff

Michael Owen Obafemi Martins

Mark Viduka

Cover (4):

GK: Tim Krul, Fraser Foster

DF: David Edgar

MF: Kazenga LuaLua

FW: Andy Carroll

Possible Transfers Out (3):

> Alan Smith

> Shola Ameobi

> James Milner

As it stands we need at least 3 new players (4 if any of Smith/ Ameobi/ Milner leaves):

> Sebastian Larsson: Direct replacement for Milner

> Javier Saviola: More options in attack/ playmaker-role

> Sebastien Pocognoli: Competition/ cover at LB

> Gökhan Inler: As a replacement for Butt

i say we go in for swp as replacement for milner

SWP (£10-12m) would definately be an upgrade on Larsson (£4-5m), but would also be more expencive. I think we need to think quantity instead of quality at this moment of time. We desperately need more players, as our squad is waaay to thin.

Edited by janu