Kevin Keegan Resigns as manager

Scottish Mag

Tbf though surely if you want to run a sustainable fooball club there isn't much else in the way of options but to run a transfer policy such as this?

Of course going behind your managers back isn't the way to go but unless you have an owner willing to put in £100m+ of his own money (which if Ashely isn't prepared to do that's up to him, it's his money not ours) you can't afford to spunk out all of this money on transfer fees and wages without getting massively into debt like we were starting to do under Shepherd and Leeds did dramatically under Ridsdale.

If you want to spend more money you have to make that money by either buying players young and cheap and selling them on at big profits or gaining more tv/prize money by doing better in the league/Europe.

Maybe you can run a "sustainable" football club that way, but crack the "Top 4" (soon to be Top 5) I very much doubt it.

The idea Ashley was peddling was slow sustained development, not infinite mediocrity and a nice profit.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbf though surely if you want to run a sustainable fooball club there isn't much else in the way of options but to run a transfer policy such as this?

Of course going behind your managers back isn't the way to go but unless you have an owner willing to put in £100m+ of his own money (which if Ashely isn't prepared to do that's up to him, it's his money not ours) you can't afford to spunk out all of this money on transfer fees and wages without getting massively into debt like we were starting to do under Shepherd and Leeds did dramatically under Ridsdale.

If you want to spend more money you have to make that money by either buying players young and cheap and selling them on at big profits or gaining more tv/prize money by doing better in the league/Europe.

Maybe you can run a "sustainable" football club that way, but crack the "Top 4" (soon to be Top 5) I very much doubt it.

The idea Ashley was peddling was slow sustained development, not infinite mediocrity and a nice profit.

Very true, but very soon you will see that there is no way you can get past the money of Manure, Chelski and Citeh (provding everything is as it seems). This leaves Arsenal and the bin dippers, and it may be possible to surpass one of these if they stay under their current ownership and one of them misses out on the champions league a couple of years in a row and starts to feel the pinch financially.

But I think we will soon see the senario that no one will be able to seriously challenge those top few spots without a cash imput that comes from outside of their normal revenue.

On that basis if Ashely isn't willing/able to provide this additional imput then the only way to run the club is with the transfer policy they are following and try to win that second league behind the rich five.

This may be disapointing senario and could be classed as a mediocrity of sorts (although if we were able to move to the top of the second tier of the permiership that would certainly be progress) but I'm not sure how else we can hope to go without additional/alternative backing.

I've no objection to not going stupid but think the least we should expect is for all net income via STs and TV to be spent.

I agree with that but do we have any idea what that is? £12m might be a realistic figure given our overheads. You would like to hope it's more and hope we can find ways to increase profits overseas (which I think was what we were supposed to be doing with Steve McMahon) but I couldn't say whether that is realistic or not.

Bobby Robson had the same problem....and I assume others who've not come out and said so.

None of them walked away of course.

From what Robson said it's pretty amazing he didn't, especially in that last 9 month. But I guess that went to show what happens when a manager is being ruthlessly undermined and doesn't just tell them to fuck off.

Bobby Robson had the same problem....and I assume others who've not come out and said so.

From what Robson said it's pretty amazing he didn't, especially in that last 9 month. But I guess that went to show what happens when a manager is being ruthlessly undermined and doesn't just tell them to fuck off.

I love Robson but it is in his interests to make it seem like he was being completely undermined at a time when he'd lost the plot and discipline had totally disintegrated. Thanks to some cuntish players too btw. Although the buck stops with the manager (who signed a lot of them in any case).

I love Robson but it is in his interests to make it seem like he was being completely undermined at a time when he'd lost the plot and discipline had totally disintegrated. Thanks to some cuntish players too btw. Although the buck stops with the manager (who signed a lot of them in any case).

Undoubtedly. But equally he was undoubtedly being marginalised and undermined from several directions at the club.