Owen to lead a player revolt for answers over Kevin Keegan's future

Jimbo

The crisis gripping Newcastle United took a new militant twist when it emerged that club owner Mike Ashley was set to face a player revolt at St James' Park as dressing-room support for beleaguered manager Kevin Keegan hardened.

Question time: Michael Owen and players have apparently not been told what is going on at their club Photo: PA

As further talks were taking place to end the bizarre stand-off between Keegan and his directors, the signs of a nascent rebellion were becoming apparent at the Tyneside club whose players share the club supporters' sense of outrage at the high-profile developments of the past few days.

The Newcastle captain, Michael Owen, is expected to lead a delegation of players who will demand answers from the board over the uncertain future of Keegan and the revelations that every player had been put up for sale during the last transfer window.

It was, though, the club's efforts to move on Owen that provoked an angry confrontation between Keegan and managing director Derek Llambias and prompted speculation that Keegan had walked away from the manager's office for a second time.

While Keegan was away sorting out his future with the backing of League Managers Association chief executive Richard Bevan, his assistant, Chris Hughton, supervised training yesterday at Newcastle's Darsley Park training HQ, where the atmosphere among the players was described by one insider as "down and angry because he's so popular".

They are all said to be "100 per cent behind" Keegan and are adamant that they do not want to see Tottenham assistant manager Gus Poyet – who was director of football Dennis Wise's right-hand man at Leeds United and Swindon Town – or Real Zaragoza manager Marcelino Garcia Toral.

It has emerged that the players themselves do not know what is going on at the club and are "surprised" they have not heard anything from "upstairs" and that is why they are seeking answers.

However, the consensus among the playing staff is that Keegan will survive the crisis and return with his hand considerably strengthened, which would suggest that he has a far greater say on transfer dealings than his directors, which has been such a thorny issue for the manager.

Despite the furore, Keegan has privately made it clear that he aims to continue a job he started only last January. "Kevin still wants the job – make no mistake about that – but he would like to be able to buy his own players," a source close to the former England manager said. "If he was allowed to bring in his own players and he failed, he would be the first to hold his hands up."

While billionaire sports retail magnate Ashley was abroad on business, Keegan and Llambias were locked in talks at a secret location, believed to be in Manchester, but the situation was not expected to be resolved immediately.

"We have held a first round of talks and further talks are being planned for this evening," said Bevan.

"Newcastle football club and its fans are massively important to Kevin and he has not resigned as manager of the club. He will be working hard to communicate with the Newcastle board and we will have to wait to see what the outcome is over the next few days."

Earlier, Newcastle moved to deny that Keegan was no longer their manager and revealed talks were ongoing.

"Newcastle United Football Club can confirm that discussions are ongoing between the board and Kevin Keegan," a statement said. "Both the club and Kevin would like to reiterate that Kevin remains as manager. He has not resigned nor has he been sacked, as has been confirmed in respective statements made by Kevin and Newcastle United Football Club."

Keegan, 57, is unhappy about the recruitment policy – with Wise and his team responsible for implementing transfer policy – a matter which was discussed at meetings on Monday and Tuesday and which appears to have brought things to a head.

Meanwhile, it was reported on Tyneside yesterday that Indian billionaire Anil Ambani and his Reliance group are still keen on taking over Newcastle United and are said to be prepared to make a £275 million bid for the club.

While billionaire sports retail magnate Ashley was abroad on business, Keegan and Llambias were locked in talks at a secret location, believed to be in Manchester, but the situation was not expected to be resolved immediately.

wonder if mikes in india?

The thing I like most about that article, apart from the fact Owen taking this kind of action would say to me he's in it for more than the next six months, is that they've put upstairs in quotation marks. Are they sceptical over the claims we have a second floor, or something? :lol:

the revelations that every player had been put up for sale during the last transfer window.

Insane, if that's true.

I had heard that but I dont remember where from, I just dismissed it as folly

It was in the times i think, poss the torygraph.

wonder if mikes in india?

They couldn't do worse than he did

Sounds utter shite to me like. Then again, they need to make the "story" more interesting than it is while there's no football this week.

IMO it wouldn't surprise me if the players are deeply unhappy and perhaps they are leaking against Ashley.

ASHLEY OUT!

the revelations that every player had been put up for sale during the last transfer window.

Insane, if that's true.

They weren't transfer listed or owt. But the club couldn't ignore massive offers for any of the squad.

Keegan said as much himself over the weekend iirc.

Insane, if that's true.

They weren't transfer listed or owt. But the club couldn't ignore massive offers for any of the squad.

Yeah but there's quite a difference between what's implied there and "well if they offer us £20 for Barton we'll have to think about it".

Insane, if that's true.

Yeah but there's quite a difference between what's implied there and "well if they offer us £20 for Barton we'll have to think about it".

Aye, what they're implying is bullshit.

Insane, if that's true.

Also, the club could have easily made it known to any potentially interested parties who was available and at what price etc.

Insider quotes and a "source close to Keegan".

I love this kind of stuff. I wish I could be a journo but my sprllings rubbish.

It's this kind of stuff you seem to build your opinions on though.

:huh: