Indian billionaire revives interest in Newcastle - and could hire Kevin Keegan

Scottish Mag

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He knows he can't stay.

But will he go?

He's under enough stress without fucking up his Saturdays as well. As soon as he catches sight of money on the table he'll be off down the Nags Head in Peckham.

If Ambani has been following the club closely over the past few days he will know that Keegan was virtually unsackable and in the space of a week Ashley has gone from popular owner to a hate figure because of it, there is no way he's going to bring Keegan back and risk himself going the way of Ashley, none at all IMO.

He knows he can't stay.

But will he go?

He's under enough stress without fucking up his Saturdays as well. As soon as he catches sight of money on the table he'll be off down the Nags Head in Peckham.

I hope so, just want to see the back of him now - he's not one of us, he never will be and he's hated. Even Freddie had his backers and at least was from the area, this Fat Cunt's just an unwelcome leach. He needs to get out of Dodge and let someone else have a shake of the dice - be it the Indians or the Arabs.

I still just feel so miserbaly deflated to beleive it...i think its plausable definatly.

MA is now going to have to sell up and if he barks up the price he's going toface more pressure!

Come on...

If not keegan back....Bilic it is!

If Ambani has been following the club closely over the past few days he will know that Keegan was virtually unsackable and in the space of a week Ashley has gone from popular owner to a hate figure because of it, there is no way he's going to bring Keegan back and risk himself going the way of Ashley, none at all IMO.

I must admit that thought's crossed my mind. If Ambani did come in though Keegan's leaving wouldn't be such a hard pill to swallow for me, the fact Fat Cunt and the poison dwarf are still at our club really makes it all feel like shit, without them it's be a clean slate again.

Just as if it was the Daily Mail reporting we were switching to Red and White Stripes, I refuse to believe anything that hate-mongering rag prints unless I see confirmed quotes.

I'm just too pissed off now to get my hopes up at all. It's not pessimism, it's self-preservation.

A good point. Keegan's gone and to bring him back would be farcical.

God long ago decided to keep bringing Keegan back. :o

If he was running the show I'd have him back in a shot. We're already farcical in the eyes of the nation. And fuck what everyone else thinks tbh. I'm sure he could do a great job with the right resources. As I've said like, I don't think this will happen.

If he was running the show I'd have him back in a shot. We're already farcical in the eyes of the nation. And fuck what everyone else thinks tbh. I'm sure he could do a great job with the right resources. As I've said like, I don't think this will happen.

Frankly I'd like it enschrined in the law of the land that only Keegan can be Newcastle manager.

Frankly I'd like it enschrined in the law of the land that only Keegan can be Newcastle manager.

:o

Frankly I'd like it enshrined in the law of the land that only Keegan can be Newcastle manager.

:o

I'm just worried that Ashley might think he can rough things out and/or be holding out for a massive profit (if those reported £400m figures were true).

Plus I do wonder how insulated from the club his is (apart from watching matches).

God long ago decided to keep bringing Keegan back. :o

The only thing that makes me think he might try to get Keegan back if he bought the club is the utterly massive positive PR from it.

He'd instantly be the hero in a way even Ashley wasn't for bring Keegan back in the first place. That and that it could be a Bollywood script. :(

Edited by Fop

times online http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4688249.ece

Simon Rushworth

Mike Ashley, the embattled owner of Newcastle United, could be offered an early opportunity to follow Kevin Keegan out of St James’ Park after it emerged that there is fresh interest in the Tyneside club from abroad.

It is becoming increasingly likely that Reliance Communications, the Indian-based telecoms giant, will seek formal talks with the Barclays Premier League club’s board with a view to a £220 million takeover. However, of greater significance to those furious Newcastle supporters determined to oust Ashley is the revelation that Anil Ambani, the owner of Reliance, has identified Keegan as the only credible managerial candidate capable of moving the club forward.

Less than 24 hours after Keegan announced his departure from St James’ Park as manager for the second time, the odds on him being reappointed had fallen to 14-1. Ambani is a great believer in continuity and his representatives are aware of the standing of the so-called “Geordie Messiah” among the club’s supporters. He was first linked with a buyout of Newcastle last month, but his representatives denied suggestions of a £260 million move. It is understood that Ambani balked at that price because Newcastle had failed to strengthen the squad.

However, Reliance has followed developments at the club and the team that it assembled to investigate the viability of a bid believes that the time is right to test Ashley’s resolve. Aware of the vitriol aimed at Newcastle’s owner by fans who feel that Keegan is an innocent victim of mismanagement, the Indians are ready to move fast with an offer that more realistically matches their assessment of the club’s value. Ashley paid £130 million for Newcastle in July 2007 and wiped out debts estimated at £80 million, but rumours persisted that the businessman was seeking a sale after becoming disillusioned with his investment.

Highly placed sources suggest that Reliance and others were invited to bid in excess of £250 million for Newcastle this summer. Those sources said yesterday that Ambani was ready to revive interest in his favourite Premier League club, with Keegan at the centre of an ambitious public-relations policy aimed to get disillusioned season ticket-holders and deserting businesses back on board.

Ambani will appeal to Newcastle fans, who crave serious investment in the team come January. The world’s sixth-richest man boasts a fortune of £21 billion and it is understood that Keegan, should he be persuaded to return for a third term as manager at St James’ Park, would be handed at least £100 million to strengthen the squad in the new year.

The supporters’ mood was not helped yesterday when Alan Shearer ruled himself out of involvement with the club. The former club captain said: “I would like to be a manager at some stage in my career, but that means controlling the players that go in and the players that go out.

“I don’t think I would be comfortable working within a structure with a director of football who was picking and choosing the players for me.”

There is no way in the world Ashley will sell now, he knew what would happen with getting rid of Keegan and went ahead any way, the bloke is utterly convinced this is the correct way to run a football club, also he isn't arsed about popularity - look at his history with grassing other retailers up etc.

The bloke is a cunt and a single minded one at that.

Being fair though, at least everyone in the management structure will be 100% aware and committed to the structure which may not be too bad a thing.

times online http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4688249.ece

Simon Rushworth

Mike Ashley, the embattled owner of Newcastle United, could be offered an early opportunity to follow Kevin Keegan out of St James’ Park after it emerged that there is fresh interest in the Tyneside club from abroad.

It is becoming increasingly likely that Reliance Communications, the Indian-based telecoms giant, will seek formal talks with the Barclays Premier League club’s board with a view to a £220 million takeover. However, of greater significance to those furious Newcastle supporters determined to oust Ashley is the revelation that Anil Ambani, the owner of Reliance, has identified Keegan as the only credible managerial candidate capable of moving the club forward.

Less than 24 hours after Keegan announced his departure from St James’ Park as manager for the second time, the odds on him being reappointed had fallen to 14-1. Ambani is a great believer in continuity and his representatives are aware of the standing of the so-called “Geordie Messiah” among the club’s supporters. He was first linked with a buyout of Newcastle last month, but his representatives denied suggestions of a £260 million move. It is understood that Ambani balked at that price because Newcastle had failed to strengthen the squad.

However, Reliance has followed developments at the club and the team that it assembled to investigate the viability of a bid believes that the time is right to test Ashley’s resolve. Aware of the vitriol aimed at Newcastle’s owner by fans who feel that Keegan is an innocent victim of mismanagement, the Indians are ready to move fast with an offer that more realistically matches their assessment of the club’s value. Ashley paid £130 million for Newcastle in July 2007 and wiped out debts estimated at £80 million, but rumours persisted that the businessman was seeking a sale after becoming disillusioned with his investment.

Highly placed sources suggest that Reliance and others were invited to bid in excess of £250 million for Newcastle this summer. Those sources said yesterday that Ambani was ready to revive interest in his favourite Premier League club, with Keegan at the centre of an ambitious public-relations policy aimed to get disillusioned season ticket-holders and deserting businesses back on board.

Ambani will appeal to Newcastle fans, who crave serious investment in the team come January. The world’s sixth-richest man boasts a fortune of £21 billion and it is understood that Keegan, should he be persuaded to return for a third term as manager at St James’ Park, would be handed at least £100 million to strengthen the squad in the new year.

The supporters’ mood was not helped yesterday when Alan Shearer ruled himself out of involvement with the club. The former club captain said: “I would like to be a manager at some stage in my career, but that means controlling the players that go in and the players that go out.

“I don’t think I would be comfortable working within a structure with a director of football who was picking and choosing the players for me.”

Better than Wise/Poyet/O'Leary tbh

There is no way in the world Ashley will sell now, he knew what would happen with getting rid of Keegan and went ahead any way, the bloke is utterly convinced this is the correct way to run a football club, also he isn't arsed about popularity - look at his history with grassing other retailers up etc.

That's what worries me.

Being fair though, at least everyone in the management structure will be 100% aware and committed to the structure which may not be too bad a thing.

I don't think he will be able to handle the protests.

There is no way in the world Ashley will sell now, he knew what would happen with getting rid of Keegan and went ahead any way,

I dunno about that, he wasn't in the country at the time so I'm not sure he's fully aware how much he is hated at the moment.

He said that he bought the club to enjoy it i.e. sit with the fans, be one of the 'lads' but there is no way he can do that now, if the fun is gone for us then it will be very much gone for him.

That said you're right that he does seem to be a stubborn bastard and I wouldn't be surprised if he held out for as much as he could.

There is no way in the world Ashley will sell now, he knew what would happen with getting rid of Keegan and went ahead any way,

I dunno about that, he wasn't in the country at the time so I'm not sure he's fully aware how much he is hated at the moment.

He said that he bought the club to enjoy it i.e. sit with the fans, be one of the 'lads' but there is no way he can do that now, if the fun is gone for us then it will be very much gone for him.

That said you're right that he does seem to be a stubborn bastard and I wouldn't be surprised if he held out for as much as he could.

We can hit him in a lot of different areas.

Such as not shopping at Sports Direct and boycotting brands he owns.

We'll wait and see what the press release about the TF/The Mag says on monday.

Ashley isn't wanted so I cant see why he'll stay.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm more keen to see Ashley et al to be replaced than I am to get Keegan back as manager.

It would obviously be nice to have both but our focus really has to be on the former and not the latter. Even if we do end up with new owners, we can't suddenly start going "great! no bring Keegan back!" It would be up to the new man to decide who he wanted.

This club needs to move forward. We need to accept that sadly, it's likely that it won't be with any involvement from Kevin Keegan.