If Wise won't put the club first, then he needs to go, too

Craig

In my contract as Newcastle United manager, there was a clause that said I had to live within 20 miles of St James' Park. These days the worry for Newcastle fans, myself included, is that the football side is being run by a man 300 miles away.

It is no surprise that Kevin Keegan left this week. For a proud manager like him, it must have been impossible to work under the control of Dennis Wise. First of all, the director of football was more powerful than the manager, which should never be the case. And secondly, they did not work in unison, which means communicating face to face. How could they, when Kevin was there at the club, and Wise was not?

My view is quite clear. You cannot work for Newcastle United from the other end of the country. Dennis Wise has to be based in Newcastle, meeting the manager regularly, talking to him, understanding what he wants. If he will not do that and put the club first by moving north, you have to get rid of him.

I don't care about telephones or computers, they are no substitute for being on the spot, finding out firsthand what the club needs. You had the feeling that Kevin's problem was that Dennis, Tony Jimenez and the other cohorts did not know or care what Kevin wanted.

It reminded me of a pre-season match at Doncaster. I was sitting at the back of the stand and Dennis, who had watched the first half much nearer the front, accidentally tried to take my seat when I had popped away for a half-time cup of tea. His reasons later became clear to me: he wanted to slip out unnoticed 10 minutes into the second half. At such a crucial time for watching and learning, as pre-season is, I was surprised - I would have thought he would have wanted to watch the game to the end, and talk with Kevin about where the team needed strengthening.

The breakdown between the different job titles has left Newcastle in disarray and it is time for Mike Ashley to sort it out. The owner or chairman is the most important person at a football club, the manager is second and everyone else third. If a director of football does not have the blessing of the manager, it does not work. West Ham proved that last week, when Alan Curbishley took a principled stand after being mucked around once too often.

You cannot imagine Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or Rafa Benitez being handed players they did not know anything about. And no manager worth his salt is going to take the Newcastle job with the current set-up.

Can you imagine Alan Shearer or Steve Bruce being given Xisco or a player called Gonzalez they had never seen or heard of? Nor can I, which is why I fear neither proud Geordie would consider the job at the moment with Wise all-powerful. Newcastle fans are famous for their loyalty and passion but it is wearing thin after the events of this week. The first home game against Bolton was not a full house, which is unheard of. I am sure when Ashley saw the figure, he would have been a worried man.

There are calls for a boycott for the next home game against Hull City. I have to say I will be there to try to give the players my support, even if it means tearing out what little is left of my hair (recent radiotheraphy treatment has caused most of it to fall out!). But I understand the mood of the public. They are thinking, like me: What a mess.

Ashley and the Newcastle hierarchy could not have been kinder or more supportive to me since they took over. They have given me a season ticket and made sure I am treated royally when I go to St James' Park. But this column is being written as a Newcastle fan, one who used to queue up outside the stadium with his Dad in the Thirties and Forties.There have often been tough times at Newcastle but I cannot believe how far the club have gone backwards since I left in 2004. I cannot see any way back soon unless the next manager is trusted to make decisions on players, signings and a director of football. Bringing in pals - whether they are pals of Keegan's or Wise - is no use.

For the past four years, Newcastle have not had a decent coaching staff. I had David Geddis, John Carver and Mick Wadsworth and we qualified the Champions League. Not surprisingly, things have gone into decline as so-called coaches have been appointed because of who they know, not what they know.

What is on Dennis Wise's CV to inspire confidence that he can shop round Europe and bring the best players to St James' Park? He worked for Swindon, Millwall and Leeds. Freddy Shepherd got a few things wrong but maybe the club should reintroduce one tradition. If you want to work for Newcastle United, you have to live within 20 miles of St James' Park.

Source: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/articl...-needs-too.html

You know what I can't fail to keep seeing? That all these football people (Robson, Shearer, Redknapp, Curbishley, etc) all see it like we see it....

Further proves that the setup at SJP are way out on a limb.

How sad for Sir Bob though - not long left in his life and his beloved Newcastle United are in turmoil and this only a little over 5 years after he had us in the Champions League. :D

You know what I can't fail to keep seeing? That all these football people (Robson, Shearer, Redknapp, Curbishley, etc) all see it like we see it....

Further proves that the setup at SJP are way out on a limb.

How sad for Sir Bob though - not long left in his life and his beloved Newcastle United are in turmoil and this only a little over 5 years after he had us in the Champions League. :D

It's a mixture of anger, sorrow and confusion. I fucking hate loving this club so much.

They have given me a season ticket and made sure I am treated royally when I go to St James' Park. But this column is being written as a Newcastle fan, one who used to queue up outside the stadium with his Dad in the Thirties and Forties.

Legend.

I hope the fuckers read this one and realise there is no escape now!, if they think it'll calm down after a while then they've got another thing coming.

Very proud of SBR and very grateful to all of the football men who have come out and voiced support for Keegan. They were having a laugh when he came back no doubt but I think people like Redknapp and Curbishley now know the direction football is headed and they know Keegan is one of their people, not one of these "new football" scum like Wise and Comolli and the rest of them.

Not long for this world, Sir Bobby, but he's still got the fire in him. What a man. :D

Fucking legend. Especially the bit where he openly questions Wise's credentials. For someone as diplomatic as SBR to do that just shows how much it's wound him up, and you only get that wound up if you're a true fan. What a fucking hero the bloke is.

Been mentioned in the press that Mort decided to go after witnessing Wise and Jimenez giving Keegan a verbal mauling - could be press BS, but equally would fit the facts I suppose.

Been mentioned in the press that Mort decided to go after witnessing Wise and Jimenez giving Keegan a verbal mauling - could be press BS, but equally would fit the facts I suppose.
It's mnot surprising at all. I'm sure there's some suspicious reason for him leaving. He always spoke to the media yet didn't give a full explanation for why he left.

it was something to do with 'wanting to be near his family in London' iirc, so based on that he was in Newcastle working, so why can the 3 stooges work out of Laaaandan?

i miss Mort

the man is a legend in his own life time, very few people can ever be called that,

we love SBR

with regard to mort leaving after a seeing KK getting mauled, Mort always came across as being a decent, respectable bloke (or rather thats how I saw it) maybe there is something in it, didnt Mort work out of SJP when he was here? if he can do then everyone should do it

What a fucking legend!

One of the most respected men in football telling it how it is - FACT

I'm so glad that SBR has come out and given an interview that hits the nail firmly on the head - let the gutter press try and twist that one.

The more time I have to sit back and digest the past week the more worried and angry I become.

Wish Wise did live within 20 miles of St. James Park - I'd be near the front of the queue to blag his windows and post shite through his letterbox

The joy of it is, there can't be any retort from NUFC. Sir Bob is a legend to everyone, even the mackems have grudging affection for the man. He has the freedom to say what he likes, and with his stature in the game he will always find a vehicle for his voice.