The History Of The Club Crest?

Tooj

Already looked at that man, only has the one now though doesn't it.

You did not specify which club crest.

I apologise. The bit where I posted about pictures of all the old club crests mustn't have been clear enough for you.

Didnt read it.

The original one is just the Newcastle upon Tyne coat of arms.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/lmcoatofarms

The City's Coat of Arms was in use as long ago as the fourteenth century but was not made official by the College of Arms until 1954.

Blazon

The official blazon is Arms:- Gules three Castles triple towered Argent. Crest on a Wreath of the Colours. A Castle as in the Arms issuant therefrom a demi Lion guardant supporting a Flagstaff Or flying therefrom a forked Pennon of the Arms of Saint George. Supporters:- On either side a Sea horse proper crined and finned Or.

Interpretation

The castle motif goes back to earliest times. Originally the town took its name from the "New Castle" built by order of Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror, in 1080 and a castle was depicted on the twelfth century common seal. The earliest surviving example of the three silver castles on a red shield, dating from about 1400, is in the window on the north side of the Chancel in St. John's Church. The castle motif is repeated in the crest which is a golden lion atop a silver castle. He is holding the golden staff of St. George's pennon. The castle stands upon a wreath of red and white leaves above a fifteenth century style helmet. The supporters, two mythical sea-horses shaded in green with gold manes, fins and tails, are a reminder that Newcastle is a seaport. Both the supporters and crest were added to the shield by grant of William Flower, Norroy King of Arms, in 1575. The motto, 'Fortiter Defendit Triumphans' ('Triumphing by Brave Defence') was adopted during the Civil War, following the stubborn defence of the town against the Scots in 1644.

I wish it still was.

Yeah, much nicer imo. Although the current one is better than the 80s efforts.

I wish it still was.

Yeah the 80's ones still looked ok though - hence their place on the board I suppose.

The thing is as clubs move to be more like franchises and brands the crests begin to look fucking horrible.

I like the crest we have now and wouldn't want to change it unless we were going to move it back to what it was.

Observe some horrible modern efforts.

0,,10429~3662859,00.jpg

0,,10373~3653576,00.jpg

I wish it still was.

Being a pedant, the current one actually is an 80s effort... :lol:

Yeah the 80's ones still looked ok though - hence their place on the board I suppose.

You don't think we went with those for perhaps another reason, do you Tom? :lol:

(have a think about it....)

I wish it still was.

Being a pedant, the current one actually is an 80s effort... :lol:

Aye and one of the other ones is 70s anyway :woosh:

Edited by alex