Substance?

The Fish

Lotina rejects Magpies approach

Depor boss determined to remain in Spain

Last updated: 8th September 2008

Miguel Angel Lotina

Lotina: Under contract

I'm happy at Depor and my intention is to continue here until 30th June.

Miguel Angel Lotina

Deportivo La Coruna boss Miguel Angel Lotina has rejected an approach from Newcastle United about the vacant manager's post at St James' Park.

The Magpies are searching for a new boss following Kevin Keegan's shock resignation last week.

And Lotina has revealed he has been approached by representatives claiming to be connected to the Premier League outfit as they attempt to secure a successor to Keegan.

"I don't give it too much importance," said Lotina, who led Depor to a ninth-placed Primera Liga finish last season.

Contract

"I had a call, I don't know if it was from someone very close to the club (Newcastle) or not because there are so many businessmen that you never know, to see if I would be interested.

"I told them no because I have a contract and I'm not thinking of any other team. I nipped it in the bud.

"I'm happy at Depor and my intention is to continue here until 30th June."

Newcastle signed two of Depor's players this summer in Fabricio Coloccini and striker Xisco.