Worth a read

Guest alex

I’m boycotting and this is about why. I’ve paid the three years in advance, and I’m prepared to write that off rather than take my seat under this regime.

I’ve read the various statements put out by the fanzines and forums. A march, an undertaking not to purchase club/Sports Direct products, and chanting in the ground. So much pissing into the wind.

A march into the stadium? Excuse me? You may as well be led by a pipe-playing Dennis Wise. Merchandise avoidance? I’m sure Ashley is quaking in his boots at the thought of one of his hundreds of outlets experiencing a small downturn in sales, and selling a few hundred less pies than usual for a couple of games or so, till it’s all forgotten about. ‘Sack the Board’ chants? Who will do the sacking? They’ll be laughing into their Crystal at that one, no danger. These Geordies eh Dennis? Oi Derek, sort them a free pint of dishwater again for next week eh? That’ll about do it.

This is not about Keegan. Certainly, I believe the loss of Keegan is a blow. Because, and primarily because, he was getting it right. On no resources to speak of, he’d turned the team round. The football was promising to be the best we’ve seen since SBR, and everyone I know who goes thought the same. Players who’d looked miserable and unsure of themselves under those awful Allardyce months were suddenly enthusiastic, playing with freedom, and enjoying their football. And tactically, despite received wisdom to the contrary, Keegan got it spot on.

It’s a real shame he was put in the untenable position I believe he was, and I suspect he has been treated very shabbily indeed. He's one of the few men left in football I have any real respect for. But that’s not what it’s about.

It’s because I don’t trust this regime, nor do I believe their intentions are in our interests. Everything I’m seeing suggests to me one thing: maximising profit. Milner was not for sale, but was sold a week later; rumours all summer of wage-cutting, and several stories of players turning us down because of wages; the widely-reported attempt to get Barton to take a 50% pay cut (why not just cancel his contract if it was about principle?); the type of players actually brought in, most if not all of whom appear to me to fit the profile of relatively cheap, on relatively low wages, with the potential to be sold on at a profit if they succeed - and only one player brought in with PL experience (and a bargain-basement one at that) despite Keegan saying that’s what he was after on several occasions; the enticements to renew for three years up front; and the biggest one of all: a paltry net spend (estimated by many to actually be a minus figure) despite our rivals spending, some of them spending very big, to remain competitive. Some of it is rumour and some of it is fact, but there’s a hell of a lot of it.

There was an unattributed quote from a first team player published in one of the broadsheets: “we were all up for sale on Monday”. This, the way I read it, is the future. We were a feeder club in the ‘70s/’80s. That’s where I think we’re headed under Ashley. The discount player market may be Spain, Eastern Europe and South America instead of Scotland, local kids and the lower domestic leagues but the policy looks the same: buy them cheap; develop the younger ones in the reserve/youth teams and the older ones in the first team; sell them on to teams above us if they succeed. And get nowhere.

For Kennedy, Mcdermott, Gazza, Waddle. Beardsley read Gutierrez, Milner, Xisco, Lua Lua, Kadar, Zamblera. A nice tidy profit if they get it right no doubt, mid-table security, and no ambition. Shepherd may not have achieved success, but for all his many faults at least he wanted to. It’s Westwood/Mckeag in a modern setting.

It’s also about these ‘facts’, and the faceless game of semantics currently being played by those in power at our club. Wise said ‘I’m not here to be involved in the first team, I’m not here to manage’; Mort confirmed this; Ashley told us Wise’s role was to bring in six players for the academy, called Keegan ‘manager’ not ‘coach’, and said incoming players had to be players ‘he wants’. No legalspeak is going to get around these blatant contradictions in my eyes. They changed the rules. I’ve read they’re going to sue Keegan: the whole thing absolutely stinks to high heaven.

I want them out of our club, and, unless the rumours Ashley will sell are accurate, I believe a boycott is the only way. A half-empty ground every week would terrify them. The media would be all over it and, more importantly, they’d know for a cast iron fact that there’d be no chance of selling the season tickets next summer, so we’d limit their tenure to next summer at the outside. The value of their asset is entirely dependent on our support - without it, all they have is a very expensive shell. They will be forced to sell, I have no doubt at all.

I’ve heard the view that supporting the players is a must. I think they’d understand very well that the fans were not deserting their team by staying away, but trying to ensure its long-term health. Some, I believe, would welcome it. If Ashley and co are still here in January I suspect several will want out anyway, and how many will be up for sale at the right price I wonder?

It will hurt me to stay outside. I can’t hurt them yet financially either having already paid. But I’m 100% convinced it’s the only effective method of forcing change. I’m not naive, these are no more than the thoughts of one fan, and I don’t expect everyone to agree. But I believe it’s the only way. I’m out until they are.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good read, however I think the autor is confusing this bit

Ashley told us Wise’s role was to bring in six players for the academy, called Keegan ‘manager’ not ‘coach’, and said incoming players had to be players ‘he wants’. No legalspeak is going to get around these blatant contradictions in my eyes. They changed the rules. I’ve read they’re going to sue Keegan: the whole thing absolutely stinks to high heaven.
with actual quotes, and not some made-up e-mail.

Anybody know our net spend?

Edited by Barney

Ashley told us Wise’s role was to bring in six players for the academy, called Keegan ‘manager’ not ‘coach’, and said incoming players had to be players ‘he wants’. No legalspeak is going to get around these blatant contradictions in my eyes. They changed the rules. I’ve read they’re going to sue Keegan: the whole thing absolutely stinks to high heaven.

It's confused by some of the fees being undisclosed / tbc I think (Gutierrez for example).

100% agree.... Thankfully I'm not one of the poor sods who have paid for a season ticket, but I'm sure as hell avoiding anything to do with Sports Direct or Newcastle United's merchandising.

What's more, I know a few people, not Newcastle United fans who are so disgusted with what Ashley is doing to the sport in general, that they're considering doing the same.

I don’t trust this regime, nor do I believe their intentions are in our interests. Everything I’m seeing suggests to me one thing: maximising profit. Milner was not for sale, but was sold a week later; rumours all summer of wage-cutting, and several stories of players turning us down because of wages; the widely-reported attempt to get Barton to take a 50% pay cut (why not just cancel his contract if it was about principle?); the type of players actually brought in, most if not all of whom appear to me to fit the profile of relatively cheap, on relatively low wages, with the potential to be sold on at a profit if they succeed

Exactly

The highspot of Ashleys ambition is to pocket a fuckton of cash

I think boycotting matches is ridiculous personally, especially if you've got a season ticket.

YOU have paid your cash, YOU don't get to see the game. Who misses out? You! Not Ashley, as he sits in his comfy seat.

The key to this is not to spend more than you already have. Don't go to cup games, don't spend money on his club. He already has your/my season ticket money, don't give him any more.

Boycotting games you have already paid for is couter productive imo.

Good read

If the fans boycotted a few games and not went into the ground they would shit it. The players do need our support but if they are loyal to the badge they will understand.

This is the problem. They're not. None of them.

They're there to pick up a wage. Each and everyone will be as committed or not at which ever club signed them. I don't think there's a top flight professional arriving at or enjoying the peak of their career who is dyed in the wool for their club.

I'm sure if Chelsea fell from grace, Terry, Lampard et al would jump ship to secure their wage and the best football. Would Gerrard definitely stay with Liverpool if they failed to qualify for Europe and looked in our state? Would he shite.

I think boycotting matches is ridiculous personally, especially if you've got a season ticket.

YOU have paid your cash, YOU don't get to see the game. Who misses out? You! Not Ashley, as he sits in his comfy seat.

The key to this is not to spend more than you already have. Don't go to cup games, don't spend money on his club. He already has your/my season ticket money, don't give him any more.

I can see both sides. But if you were to encourage non-ST holders not to go then going yourself it seems a bit lame and isn't exactly showing solidarity. He's already got my fucking money too btw.

I have the solution.

Go to the match but stand up and turn your back on the game, this will send a clear message.

However you have paid to see it so take a compact mirror in and watch it in that. Just make sure you remember its an inverted reflection of what's happening, so when Hull score, cheer.

:lol:

Edited by trophyshy

That's the difficulty faced, if you've already paid for your season ticket then it's only yourself that's dipping out, initially anyway. Still, 1-3 games from an entire season probably doesn't work out to be much in the grand scheme of things and would indeed send a clear message. I couldn't urge anyone else to do the same though because it's easy to say what I'd do when I haven't paid for said ticket. I guess the way to look at it is deciding what is for the greater good and the long term outcome, and anyone going to the game must boycott any in ground sales, wear older shirts and make a banner protest - I'm sure the players know who the fans are unhappy with so any boos, jeers and general nastiness won't bother them.

Absolutely 100% spot on!

The only worry i have about boycotting is and as it was mentioned before, we as the support give the club its value, if we boycott then the value of the club would nose dive. And in which case MA would not sell at a loss no matter how much pressure he'd be under from us the fans and the media.

He's a business man, and an astute one at that. I just hope any prospective buyers strike whilst its hot and get him out.

The longer he is in charge the more damage MA will do to us, not just in the present but the future of this club too. Its a mess, a real mess and we are all hurting and concerned about our club. I just hope MA has the decency to bail, and bail fast...his adventure is not going to work.

Sell up MA, go and buy leeds and you can do what you like there, but not here!

Best article I've read to date and it's absolutely bang on. It's in the hands of the ST holders to show solidarity, so come january when all the best players fuck off and the club is on a steady decline I wouldn't expect any sympathy in any shape or form from anywhere.

Boycotting is the only way.

Best article I've read to date and it's absolutely bang on. It's in the hands of the ST holders to show solidarity, so come january when all the best players fuck off and the club is on a steady decline I wouldn't expect any sympathy in any shape or form from anywhere.

You want to send me the £1053 I've forked out mate?

Tell you what, out of solidarity, let's go halfers, I'll take £525.

Take the hit on a couple of games, you'll only come away seething anyway.

To what end?

To what end?

What?

To what end?

What?

What purpose would it serve in the long run?

To what end?

What?

What purpose would it serve in the long run?

IMO the ground being deserted for a couple of games might have some affect, not buying merchandise for a couple of games won't.

Long term.....who knows, I suspect very little.

It's confused by some of the fees being undisclosed / tbc I think (Gutierrez for example).

10m

I think that this article is spot on, me, my son, and brother-in-law have ST and all paid up for the next 3 seasons. We decided to boycott when all this blew up. I've posted regularly on other MB and I do not intend to change my view. An emptier than normal stadium should send MA the real message and it will be newsworthy material. A near to normal stadium will send a message back through the media and we will be branded as nothing more than a bunch of fickle fans that just accepts anything that is served up.

I’m boycotting and this is about why. I’ve paid the three years in advance, and I’m prepared to write that off rather than take my seat under this regime.

I’ve read the various statements put out by the fanzines and forums. A march, an undertaking not to purchase club/Sports Direct products, and chanting in the ground. So much pissing into the wind.

A march into the stadium? Excuse me? You may as well be led by a pipe-playing Dennis Wise. Merchandise avoidance? I’m sure Ashley is quaking in his boots at the thought of one of his hundreds of outlets experiencing a small downturn in sales, and selling a few hundred less pies than usual for a couple of games or so, till it’s all forgotten about. ‘Sack the Board’ chants? Who will do the sacking? They’ll be laughing into their Crystal at that one, no danger. These Geordies eh Dennis? Oi Derek, sort them a free pint of dishwater again for next week eh? That’ll about do it.

This is not about Keegan. Certainly, I believe the loss of Keegan is a blow. Because, and primarily because, he was getting it right. On no resources to speak of, he’d turned the team round. The football was promising to be the best we’ve seen since SBR, and everyone I know who goes thought the same. Players who’d looked miserable and unsure of themselves under those awful Allardyce months were suddenly enthusiastic, playing with freedom, and enjoying their football. And tactically, despite received wisdom to the contrary, Keegan got it spot on.

It’s a real shame he was put in the untenable position I believe he was, and I suspect he has been treated very shabbily indeed. He's one of the few men left in football I have any real respect for. But that’s not what it’s about.

It’s because I don’t trust this regime, nor do I believe their intentions are in our interests. Everything I’m seeing suggests to me one thing: maximising profit. Milner was not for sale, but was sold a week later; rumours all summer of wage-cutting, and several stories of players turning us down because of wages; the widely-reported attempt to get Barton to take a 50% pay cut (why not just cancel his contract if it was about principle?); the type of players actually brought in, most if not all of whom appear to me to fit the profile of relatively cheap, on relatively low wages, with the potential to be sold on at a profit if they succeed - and only one player brought in with PL experience (and a bargain-basement one at that) despite Keegan saying that’s what he was after on several occasions; the enticements to renew for three years up front; and the biggest one of all: a paltry net spend (estimated by many to actually be a minus figure) despite our rivals spending, some of them spending very big, to remain competitive. Some of it is rumour and some of it is fact, but there’s a hell of a lot of it.

There was an unattributed quote from a first team player published in one of the broadsheets: “we were all up for sale on Monday”. This, the way I read it, is the future. We were a feeder club in the ‘70s/’80s. That’s where I think we’re headed under Ashley. The discount player market may be Spain, Eastern Europe and South America instead of Scotland, local kids and the lower domestic leagues but the policy looks the same: buy them cheap; develop the younger ones in the reserve/youth teams and the older ones in the first team; sell them on to teams above us if they succeed. And get nowhere.

For Kennedy, Mcdermott, Gazza, Waddle. Beardsley read Gutierrez, Milner, Xisco, Lua Lua, Kadar, Zamblera. A nice tidy profit if they get it right no doubt, mid-table security, and no ambition. Shepherd may not have achieved success, but for all his many faults at least he wanted to. It’s Westwood/Mckeag in a modern setting.

It’s also about these ‘facts’, and the faceless game of semantics currently being played by those in power at our club. Wise said ‘I’m not here to be involved in the first team, I’m not here to manage’; Mort confirmed this; Ashley told us Wise’s role was to bring in six players for the academy, called Keegan ‘manager’ not ‘coach’, and said incoming players had to be players ‘he wants’. No legalspeak is going to get around these blatant contradictions in my eyes. They changed the rules. I’ve read they’re going to sue Keegan: the whole thing absolutely stinks to high heaven.

I want them out of our club, and, unless the rumours Ashley will sell are accurate, I believe a boycott is the only way. A half-empty ground every week would terrify them. The media would be all over it and, more importantly, they’d know for a cast iron fact that there’d be no chance of selling the season tickets next summer, so we’d limit their tenure to next summer at the outside. The value of their asset is entirely dependent on our support - without it, all they have is a very expensive shell. They will be forced to sell, I have no doubt at all.

I’ve heard the view that supporting the players is a must. I think they’d understand very well that the fans were not deserting their team by staying away, but trying to ensure its long-term health. Some, I believe, would welcome it. If Ashley and co are still here in January I suspect several will want out anyway, and how many will be up for sale at the right price I wonder?

It will hurt me to stay outside. I can’t hurt them yet financially either having already paid. But I’m 100% convinced it’s the only effective method of forcing change. I’m not naive, these are no more than the thoughts of one fan, and I don’t expect everyone to agree. But I believe it’s the only way. I’m out until they are.

Top notch.